Question about exercise...

Options
I've been religious on my diet. I have actually cut my calorie intake down but I am still eating enough. Im walking and within the last 2 days I have walked almost an hour and 45 minutes not counting what I walked while at work. But today I got on the scales (the first time since Sunday) and I had put on 3 pounds!!!!

Is this normal?

Someone told me I could be loosing fat and ganing muscle.

Please let me know if I need to modify my diet any.

Thanks

Replies

• tammylee
    Options
    I've been religious on my diet. I have actually cut my calorie intake down but I am still eating enough. Im walking and within the last 2 days I have walked almost an hour and 45 minutes not counting what I walked while at work. But today I got on the scales (the first time since Sunday) and I had put on 3 pounds!!!!

Is this normal?

Someone told me I could be loosing fat and ganing muscle.

Please let me know if I need to modify my diet any.

Thanks
  • Sherfoodie
    Sherfoodie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. It is completely NORMAL to gain a little weight when you first amp up your exercise routine. Take your measurements! The scale lies when it comes to fat loss, measurements don't. Take your measurements the same day everyweek and you will see the numbers dropping! It's a great motivator! Don't be discouraged, keep at it, you'll see results!
  • Skinnier_Me
    Skinnier_Me Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Tammy,

You have been kickin some workout butt girl!
    You are definitely gaining muscle so try not to worry about what the scales say.
    If you're eating right and exercising, then you have nothing to worry about.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,004 Member
    Options
    Tammylee,

My two cents worth is this. If you are not breaking a sweat, and maintaining a brisk pacef for another 15 minutes after that, you may not be burning very many calories on your walks, nor raising your metabolic rate.

Look at the numbers on the Exercise Tab. You are shooting for the fastest mile you can walk in a given amount of time. If you are able to carry on a conversation, then walk faster. It isn't JUST how many minutes you walk, but the pace, or miles per hour. As you increase your pace, your calories burned will increase incrementally per each minute you walk.

I'm off for my walk! Have a great weekend. Keep it up! You've got the right idea!

CM
  • apojones
    apojones Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Keep it up Tammylee! Don't get discouraged. You will lose weight because it is really a numbers game. More output than input for you basil metabolic rate. You might also weigh yourself again at the same time every day for the next 3-4 days. You may find that the 3lbs was a water weight issue and not a real weight issue. By the way, don't you feel better? Sometimes I've had to concentrate on how I feel and how my clothes feel and ignore the scale for a couple of weeks. Don't give up! You can do this! You ARE doing this!!!!
  • tnkitty
    tnkitty Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's probably muscle so no worries. However, I agree with CM. Make sure you are getting that heart rate up. Climb a few hills during your walk, that should work! ;-)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,004 Member
    Options
    tnkitty, tammylee,

I grew up in Florida. At one time I actually saw a hill there. Mostly it's just one big hot sandbar. Flatter than flat. But on the up side, the weather is pretty predictable for outside walks.

Now I'm in Seattle, lots of hills. Not as predictable weather.

Go Tammy.

p.s. tnkitty - you put your cute little face on your profile! I'm going to have to get someone to take a picture of me!

CM
  • arturiobryan
    Options
    Hi i m brazilian man anybody from to Brazil
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    Tammy,

You have been kickin some workout butt girl!
    You are definitely gaining muscle so try not to worry about what the scales say.
    If you're eating right and exercising, then you have nothing to worry about.
    Unfortunately if one is eating in deficit, muscle gain is unlikely. There are a few exceptions, but muscle gain comes from a training regimen that's much more intense than just walking. If walking were such a muscle builder, than postal carriers, meter maids, etc. should be quite muscular since that's what they do all day.
    The OP's weight is up due to glycogen storage and water based on increased physical activity. Totally normal and will subside after CONTINUAL physical activity.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Hi i m brazilian man anybody from to Brazil

What a crazy, random thread necro! :drinker:
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. It is completely NORMAL to gain a little weight when you first amp up your exercise routine. Take your measurements! The scale lies when it comes to fat loss, measurements don't. Take your measurements the same day everyweek and you will see the numbers dropping! It's a great motivator! Don't be discouraged, keep at it, you'll see results!

Muscle doesnt weigh more than fat, its merely denser. There is a difference.

Is it normal to gain weight when you go to the gym? Why?

The scales dont lie when it comes to fat loss simply because the scales measure weight and not fat.

OP
    You are not gaining muscle and losing fat merely by walking.
    Its hard to say why you are gaining weight, but the two most likely answers imo are:

1. Its a natural fluctuation. Your body can fluctuate in weight from 1-5lbs a day just by retaining water or not. Nothing to worry about.
    2. Actual weight gain, but that would require you to have eaten more than maintenance by c 10500 calories which is highly unlikely. Your diary is closed so no idea, but considering your previous weight loss you know where maintenance is, which means its almost certainly just water weight. Give it time and it will come off as your body adjusts.