Is my trainer wrong?

Options
I started Stronglifts today and I am working with a trainer just to make sure my form is right. Let me start by saying this guy is really against me doing Stronglifts. I am by no means strong but I have some minimal strength training experience, and a reasonable outlook on my goals, plus I feel like I have learned a lot by reading here the past 1.5 years. I did not walk in there expecting to bench 300lbs and lose 10% body fat by the end of this week.

His objection is that a newbie shouldn't start with compund moves in heavy lifting. I told him I was ok with starting with low-ish weight to get my form down, because a few "practice" sessions isn't going to discourage me. I am ok with doing lighter than I need weights until I get the form correct and then move up while still keeping form. He said then those workouts would be useless because I wasn't challenging myself. I can kiiiinda see that point in terms of building strength but I don't think gettting correct form is useless and I already said I am ok with them being a kind of a throwaway in terms of progress.

Second issue: When I did my deadlift set, after 2 reps I told him I was feeling it in my lower back and asked about my form. He said that was where I should feel it and that is why he didn't agree with this plan--bc my lower back isn't strong enough yet. I mentioned I thought it should work my hamstrings and glutes and he said glutes, yes; hamstrings no. This seems to go against what I have read elsewhere....and I really don't want to mess up my back.

So, am I am wrong? Is he? For women who have done 5X5 with little to no "real" strength training but a reasonable level of fitness, how did you start?

Replies

• Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I don't do 5x5, but I lift heavy. I started by working with a trainer, and did not do much in the way of compound lifts. I did squats and deadlift with dumbbells, then eventually moved to doing it with the real bar. I think it depends on your current level of fitness and strength. For me, increasing fitness level and increasing strength was a great move. I wouldn't have been able to bench the bar at the beginning.

Now I bench 110#, squat 175#, deadlift 235#, and overhead press 85#. All one rep max. If you don't have enough back strength, you cannot deadlift without risk of injury. Same issue for core strength needed to squat. I had to increase strength in upper back to get to my current deadlift PR. Compound lifts are, well, compound, so everything is connected. There are a bunch of trainers on MFP that can probably give you a better answer as to the best way to achieve your goals this was just my experience,

Whatever you decide, good luck, have fun, and keep it up! More ladies lifting...RAH
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what you are doing, proper form is a must!

Form, form, form.
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I did squat with a 30lb kettlebell and was able to benchpress 50lbs (this was a little shaky towards the end) today with no problems. I know it is nothing compared to lots of women on here but it made me feel pretty darn tough to get started! It was just the deadlift that didnt feel right. He started me at 75lbs, which I think might have been too much.

Also, I had my SL app but he said he knew which exercises to do and it wasnt until the end that I realized I should have done a barbell row instead of deadlift. I know it isn't a HUGE deal to get back on track, but it annoyed me. I guess even if he is right, the fact that I don't click with him (and trust him) is a warning sign either way.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I started Stronglifts today and I am working with a trainer just to make sure my form is right. Let me start by saying this guy is really against me doing Stronglifts.

I didn't read any further. Fire the trainer, find one who isn't an idiot.

EDIT: Ok, went back and read the rest of it. Don't just fire him, shoot him and bury his body in the woods before he can screw up anybody else. Compound moves with low weight is EXACTLY where a novice should be starting. Bloody hell...
  • nikkohli
    Options
    . Double post
  • nikkohli
    Options
    Regardless of what you are doing, proper form is a must!

Form, form, form.

I know--that's why I got the trainer!!! :smile: I am just not sure if he is right and I shouldn't start with SL, or if I am ok doing SL as a beginner as long as I pay attention to form.

So should my back hurt immediately after a deadlift? Is that a sign of poor form or just weak muscle and I should move my weight down until I build strength? I am not worried about being weak or looking dumb....I just want to do it right and not get hurt!
  • MrFitness972
    MrFitness972 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Why are you paying a trainer if you are doing SL 5x5???

I thought deadlift was only one rep???? I'm i missing something???
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I would squat & dead lift but start very light - maybe just the bar - or body weight squats. Straight leg deadlifts & good mornings are great to strengthen the posterior chain - get some instruction on proper form first. They are not dangerous if done properly. Eastcoast Jim
  • nikkohli
    Options
    I have never worked with barbells. Some dumbbells....some machines.....so I wanted to make sure I was doing the lifts correctly. I didn't even know how to add plates! :laugh:

As for deadlifts...I thought it was 1 set of 5?
  • nikkohli
    Options
    I started Stronglifts today and I am working with a trainer just to make sure my form is right. Let me start by saying this guy is really against me doing Stronglifts.

I didn't read any further. Fire the trainer, find one who isn't an idiot.

EDIT: Ok, went back and read the rest of it. Don't just fire him, shoot him and bury his body in the woods before he can screw up anybody else. Compound moves with low weight is EXACTLY where a novice should be starting. Bloody hell...

Haha! Well once I get his body out of the way, then I won't feel awkward going back there. I have another session scheduled for Sat and I am dreading it :( It's kind of a bummer to already feel frustrated by something I was so excited to start.
  • nikkohli
    Options
    I would squat & dead lift but start very light - maybe just the bar - or body weight squats. Straight leg deadlifts & good mornings are great to strengthen the posterior chain - get some instruction on proper form first. They are not dangerous if done properly. Eastcoast Jim

Thanks! I am almost wondering if he started me too heavy to "prove me wrong".
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I have never worked with barbells. Some dumbbells....some machines.....so I wanted to make sure I was doing the lifts correctly. I didn't even know how to add plates! :laugh:

No, ma'am. One rep, 5 sets on the DLs.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I did the same program my husband did.
    Deadlifts, squats, OHP, etc. I don't recall any of the exercises being modified in any way except for weight & to accommodate or limit my flexibility, because I had a larger range of movement than he did. I may have started out with weenie weights (colored dumb bells) before I was able to use the the oly bar.

That was more than 10 years ago & we still work the same program together. If I were you, I would watch a lot of youtube videos & have an idea of what your form should be like so that you stay well informed. Also, have him take video of you so you can see where you're at as far as form.

The lack of support you have from your trainer is off-putting to me. If he's not comfortable with training a woman new to iron, I'd find someone else. That kind of sucks =/
  • nikkohli
    Options

No, ma'am. One rep, 5 sets on the DLs.

I believe you because, as mentioned above, I know nothing, but I copied this directly from the SL5X5 website under the "Deadlifts" section
    ***5×5 stands for five sets of five reps. These are the sets and reps you do on every exercise except Deadlifts. Deadlift is only one set of five reps (1×5)***

I am so tired I am misreading? I am not being snarky--I am genuinely confused and I don't want to hurt myself!

ETA: Ok--Now I see where I am confused. So I should be doing one, taking a break, doing one, taking a break?
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Ditch this trainer. Join the women's strong lift group here, or eat train progress. Watch videos from you tube about proper form. Post videos of yourself doing form checks. Google common dead lift, squat errors/mistakes. Buy a copy of starting strength and read it immediately.

I'm guessing your lower back was hurting because you weren't picking up the barbell from a complete dead stop, as in the name DEADlift, after every rep. And/or not letting the bar go in a controlled drop once you pass the knees on the way down. But it could be because of other issues.

You can do this on your own. Your trainer doesn't know how to deadlift if he thinks you don't use your hammies.
  • nikkohli
    Options

I'm guessing your lower back was hurting because you weren't picking up the barbell from a complete dead stop, as in the name DEADlift, after every rep. And/or not letting the bar go in a controlled drop once you pass the knees on the way down. But it could be because of other issues.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED!!! Especially the controlled drop. There was no "on the way down". I lifted it, and then bent over to set it down.
  • nikkohli
    Options

The lack of support you have from your trainer is off-putting to me. If he's not comfortable with training a woman new to iron, I'd find someone else. That kind of sucks =/

I don't mind ditching him and losing the $$--it is just that I have 3 sessions left and it will be awkward to see him there. I am usually pretty outspoken but it is hard for me, being unexperienced, to tell someone "Sorry--I don't agree with you!"
  • markink81
    markink81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Wow! 5x5 stronglifts is a great program for the beginner. All these lifts help build core strength so your first assumption was correct. You can do this at a lightened weight range and as was mentioned good form. These are basic compound exercises that I would recommend anyone doing for general strength and body re-composition . Just cut the guy lose and find yourself someone more knowledgeable.
  • llamajenn
    llamajenn Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is why he was reluctant to encourage you to go on with this program. It happens all the time in the gym....someone comes in new to _whatever_ (weights, kickboxing, etc) and goes gung-ho, ending up with an injury within the first few weeks.

I'm not saying that would be the case with you as you seem more knowledgeable than the average lifting-newbie; just might be something in the back of his mind.
  • nikkohli
    Options
    Maybe this is why he was reluctant to encourage you to go on with this program. It happens all the time in the gym....someone comes in new to _whatever_ (weights, kickboxing, etc) and goes gung-ho, ending up with an injury within the first few weeks.

I'm not saying that would be the case with you as you seem more knowledgeable than the average lifting-newbie; just might be something in the back of his mind.

Thanks for your reply! That makes sense too!