Finally got my tummy tuck and arm lift :)

Options
Hello all! I posted a success story a while back about my long-term weight loss, which is here
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1245608-my-6-year-journey

After losing this weight (159 pounds at this point) I had a lot of loose skin. I held that weight for a pretty short time, compared to some, and am young (21 years old), but I think the biggest part of whether or not you get loose skin is your genetics and the speed at which you lose. There is some on my thighs, a little on my back, but mostly it was on my lower stomach and arms (the infamous loose skin 'wings'). I'm close to my goal and in December of last year was told by my doctor that I could start looking into plastic surgery if that was an option that interested me. I finally found a doctor who was close to me and am now almost three weeks out of surgery!

A few of my friends, both in real life and on MFP, have asked about the experience and cost, so I'll give an overview:

The cost was around 10k total. Part of the abdominoplasty was covered by insurance and the other part was not, while none of the brachioplasty (arms) was, as it's considered entirely cosmetic. My surgery took 5 hours, and I left the same day. Recovery on my arms has been dreamlike, barely inconveniencing me at all, while the abdomen has been understandably more trying. I had drains on each arm and each hip for the first week, and had only one drain (my right hip) until the second week. I did have help from my parents during the recovery, which I would highly recommend - surgery is exhausting, and walking around after the abdominoplasty can be very tiring.

Without further ado, my results!

aGJ0XDs.jpg?2

About two weeks out! There's a bit of tape on my elbow to prevent leaking from drains
0mqKLzB.jpg?1

WIXauW8.jpg

2VTKys3.jpg

I did get a blood clot, which I'm currently recovering from, so I would warn anyone getting this surgery (or any surgery) to be aware of how often you're exercising and how much you're moving your legs throughout the day.

Thanks guys! :)

Replies

• radmom99
    radmom99 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You LOOK GREAT!! Awesome job on losing the weight.
  • Calabrisellamia
    Calabrisellamia Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You look incredible!!!:smile:
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Wow what a story! Congrats on your success and you look amazing!
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Great achievement and you look terrific!!
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    What a great result! You look beautiful!
  • healthyfoxx
    healthyfoxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    DANG! :love: Your tummy looks SOOO good! I would never ever be able to tell you had any surgery done.

Your arms are fantastic, too. I have a good amount of sag on mine from being really overweight when I was younger.... you're kind of making me think about arm lifts in the future.
  • mary659497
    mary659497 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. What a transformation.
  • RET68
    RET68 Posts: 88
    Options
    Could you tell me more about the blood clot. I have a clotting disorder. So are you not supposed to exercise, or are you supposed to keep moving. I'm just at the beginning. But I can dream. Thx for sharing. :smile:
  • losingforgood120
    Options
    Wow! So happy for you. You look great!
  • Territravel
    Territravel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You look Awesome! I know you must feel it as well.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Congratulations!
  • TyphonRex
    TyphonRex Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Sweet Jesus, Odin, and Allah, that turned out really well!

I know I've got a TON of loose skin awaiting me at the end of things, and to be honest, it really, really freaks me out.

Props to all of you who have worked hard enough to get to a point of having all that loose skin. Major props.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your pictures and your story. I'm amazed and encouraged by your results. I can't begin to tell you how curious I've been about this, and you have really helped me. Congratulations - you look beautiful!
  • Reneesjourney2bfit
    Reneesjourney2bfit Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You look awesome!! Great results, your stomach you can't even tell you had surgery or was ever over weight from that tummy. I'm so proud of you...that you did this for yourself. You have your whole life in front of you and you give so much inspiration and motivation to all us out here that have such a long way to go. Not only that we can lose the weight, but that we can look great too!! Blessings for continued success!!

As for the blood clot thing she is talking about...make sure you move...blood clots form from inactivity after surgery. After surgery of any kind you have to move. If you have ever had surgery for anything else...the first thing they do, as soon as you can, in the hospital is, make you get up and walk. I've had the blood clotting problem for 22 years. If you do have surgery..and have or think you may have a problem w/ your blood..ask or tell your doctor, you want to go on a blood thinner, while you recover for a few weeks. I've had another friend who just had knee surgery and came out a week or so after surgery she got DVT in her legs and was put on blood thinners for clots in her legs.
  • BrokenBelles
    BrokenBelles Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You look so lovely!!
  • marylynn85
    marylynn85 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look amazing!!
  • MyMalfunction7
    MyMalfunction7 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! I appreciate all the positive feedback (I've been feeling quite down because of the DVT) and I'm glad I was able to help some people get an idea of what this can look like!

If anyone's interested, I got a pound of skin taken from each arm and slightly over three lbs taken from my abdomen :)

Feel free to add me or message me, I'm very active on here!

As for the blood clot, the best was to prevent them post-surgery (or if you have a disease that makes you more susceptible) is to make sure you move, just like triplewranch says! Contractions of the leg and walking every two hours were what I was recently told.
  • lighteningjeanne855
    lighteningjeanne855 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    You've had wonderful results from your surgeries.
    You look MAH-velous!
    Congratulations for your weight loss, too
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Options
    Wow, well done on the weight loss and the surgeon did a wonderful job!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look amazing, and congrats on your weight loss. I'd love to get rid of the bit of fat on my arms, but I'd be too scared for surgery lol.

I'm surprised they didn't give you clexane or something to inject after as it prevents blood clots. In UK hospitals you have to inject if you're staying in as you don't move about much obviously. I had to inject it after my third baby as I was 36.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!