No nutrition info for some restaurants

Options
How do you input your calories for restaurants that do not provide their nutritional info, and/or they added new items to the menu and don't have the info avalible yet??? For example I went to Bucca di Peppo and got the Penne Basilica and can't find the nutrition anywhere...

Replies

• CarolHudson11
    Options
    I usually find another one like it - just use something comparable. You'll probably be off by a little, but at least it'll be a best "guesstimate". I've had to do that twice in the last two weeks because two of my favorite places are local, family-owned businesses that don't list their nutritional info.
  • NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    Don't know if this will help but try finding something similar to it from a different restaurant or try breaking down the ingredients and estimating, I always estimate on the high side. It really stinks, we should have access to that information if we want it!! I know some steakhouses refuse to release their nutritional information, they even say so on their websites. Hope this helped!
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Find the closest thing. For example, on this site's database, you could find "Generic - Penne With Tofu-Basil Pesto" and input about how many ounces you ate (if it was from a restaurant, err on the high side for safety).
  • toxicbox
    Options
    Good ideas!!! Yeah usually I estimate on the high side too! Thanks!!! :happy:
  • emilytgs24
    emilytgs24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have to reply to this one because that was one of my beefs when I started dieting and counting calories. My rule of thumb-boycott those restaurants-they really need to spend the money and have their dishes evaluated. End of story. If you can't boycott have something simple (like steak, veggies, and a potato) and split it with someone. If you only eat half and you can see what you are eating (no hidden ingredients) then you should be pretty close. I also eyeball it and use another restaurant the I do have calorie information from. This works pretty well with french fries. And, at the end of the day-one meal isn't going to kill you. Especially if you put any kind of thought into it. That's much more the the average person would do, right?!? :)
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I usually plan what I will get in advance, and avoid restaurants that do not provide nutritional info. However, whenever I'm unable to do so and find myself in this situation, I do as others have suggested and do a best guess and overestimate.
  • allegoriedesoie
    Options
    When I don't know, I try to guesstimate like the other members have mentioned. However, what I do, is I sort of take the average of the closest things on the database. IDK if that makes sense LOL
  • oddgirlout
    Options
    I agree with breaking down the components or looking for something similar in the database.

I would just like to add, if they have a website there is usually an email address associated with the company. Where I live there is no nutritional information for WIld Flower Bread Company. I emailed them and they sent me the information I needed, provided me an explanation as to why they didn't have the data available in their stores and their plan to rectify it. :) They were extremely nice and helpful.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    E-mail Bucca de Beppo and they'll send you the nutrition info. They got back to me within a day.
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Estimate. Err on the high side.

I don't think boycotting restaurants without nutrition info readily available is the way to go, because then you would only be able to eat at chains. :/ When I eat out it's usually at local places. Their ingredients are fresher and tastier, and their cooks are actually cooking, rather than duplicating the same dishes over, and over, and over, and over . . .

Of course, this does not apply to *chains* who refuse to release nutritional info. That usually suggests something to hide. The Cheesecake Factory kept theirs under wraps for a long time, and now we know why: it's God-awful.
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    How do you input your calories for restaurants that do not provide their nutritional info, and/or they added new items to the menu and don't have the info avalible yet??? For example I went to Bucca di Peppo and got the Penne Basilica and can't find the nutrition anywhere...

I think you may have spelled it wrong - isn't it "Buca di Beppo"? I typed that in and got a load of results.
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb for "out food" is to do this math:

Guess the sizes of the contents, enter that. (for example, 1 cup pasta plus 1/2 cup sauce plus 1/2 mixed vegtables)
    Add 1,000 mg of sodium
    Depedinging on the creamy/smoothness of the item, add the equivlent of 2-6 pats of butter or 1-3 tablespoons of olive oil.

"Out food" always has more salt and fat than how you would make it at home.
  • melissadid2002
    melissadid2002 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with breaking down the components or looking for something similar in the database.

I would just like to add, if they have a website there is usually an email address associated with the company. Where I live there is no nutritional information for WIld Flower Bread Company. I emailed them and they sent me the information I needed, provided me an explanation as to why they didn't have the data available in their stores and their plan to rectify it. :) They were extremely nice and helpful.

I think I will do this same thing along with the estimate and take foods apart and go part by part to enter into my meal plan I got a surprise this AM when I did my blood glucose! I have been below 110 and usually around 95 for like 61 days and this morning it was like a 124! (126 is like diabetes range) This restaurant we go to is soooo yummy and so good too. I am really bummed about the numbers I got, I first tested and it was a 129 and retested ..and got the 124. Man I shoulda really gone for that walk I thought of lastnight... yeah I know the doctor or dietitician did tell me that if it happens not often not too big of a deal but I had a good stretch going...