Calorie Control or Eating Clean?

Options
13»

Replies

• MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I think eating clean is the best but doesn't necessarily lead to weight loss. Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit no matter what your diet is. Can you eat a simple piece of chocolate or other treat that you can pronounce all the ingredients? Maybe a homemade pudding pop or other treat?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I have a personal trainer who told me to cut out carbs and focus on getting proteins in

TOTALLY cutting out carbohydrates is NOT a good idea. You need fiber, which is a carbohydrate. You need the micro-nutrients in vegetables. Vegetables are carbohydrates.

Food basically breaks down into three components: protein, fat, and carbohydrates. You need proper amounts of each to be healthy. You also need to consume healthy proteins, fats, and carbohydrates to be healthy.

In the US, the average diet has become too heavily laden with carbohydrates, including lots of heavily processed starches and sugars with little nutritional value and too many calories.

Many of us need to eat fewer of those nice, pasty white carbs. If your trainer was suggesting eliminating that class of carbs, that's one thing. If the recommendation was to eliminate all carbs, find a new trainer.
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options

And controlled portions of ice cream, chocolate and wine for the soul.

Excuse you.

One does not simply control portions of wine. Blasphemy!

You both can come sit with me.

I work wine in to my calories 6 days a week (I'm never sick. Possibly because that glass and a half per night has my insides pickled ;)). I'm losing steadily. I haven't had an actual binge (like going more than, say, 200 calories above my net for the day) in the 6 months I've been on MFP. My binges involve eating like 1700 calories(gross, not net) instead of 1300. Because I allow myself wine. Because I'll occasionally work in a slice (or 2!)of pizza, or some ice cream, or whatever. As long as I keep my protein up (just for me, personally), get my vitamins in, try to take in healthy fats and not OD on carbs (I don't fear carbs or anything, I just try to keep them at 40% or below, macro-wise), I have been losing non-stop.

I can't cook to save my life. If it can;t be made in a crockpot or microwave, I probably don't eat it. I don't make pretty, fancy, veggie-filled meals for myself. I 'steam' carrots or asparagus or broccoli in the freakin' microwave most of the time. My chicken comes pre-cooked. My egg whites come in a container. My cheese is pre-shredded. I eat relatively healthy, but I wouldn't call it clean. I work out 5-6 days a week because I *love* to. My body, though not full of 'clean' food, is stronger and healthier than its ever been.

Basically, calorie-counting and not denying myself, as well as monitoring my macros, has absolutely worked for me. But that's just one woman's experience :)
  • successandgoodhealth
    Options
    Hi, I was reading some information on this site and came across your post. I wanted to offer you some product options as we have a couple lines and a lot of them are geared towards appetite control while using safe and healthy sources. Our reputation and results are outstanding, take a look or email me for the link! I wish you well and as a mom of two, I would experience crazy cravings at night after I was done with them!!! So I feel your pain :)

successandgoodhealth@gmail.com

https://www.advocare.com/140514839/Products/default.aspx
  • Sarahsteve7kids
    Sarahsteve7kids Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I don't eat "clean".
    I just aim for a balanced diet and try to meet my macros.

Which means I eat plenty of veggies and whole foods, but I also eat pizza and ice cream. My suggestion: eat in a way that makes you feel satisfied, and eat in a way that you feel comfortable sticking to for the rest of your life.

This is perfect!
  • sesefeeney
    sesefeeney Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I gave up eating clean after gaing weight year after year bingeing on my favorite 'forbidden ' foods! As many have said the bottom line is calories! If you want to eat clean more power to you! I prefer to keep my calories to 8400 per week and enjoy my daily ice cream bars. Do what works for you! I think we all know the best thing for ourselves but tend to let others influence our choices!
    so true!!