How have I only just realised how great low-carb is?!

Options

Replies

• NeverCatchYourBreath
    NeverCatchYourBreath Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    The entire last half of what she said above is true. Restricting carbs below a certain level absolutely can lead to ketosis and can cause liver and kidney damage as well as a sort of "diabetic coma" or even death if you allow it to continue for an extended period of time. Ketones create acidity in the blood (ketoacidosis) and can be toxic. Do some research on ketoacidosis, ketouria, and ketogenisis.

You should probably do your own research before calling someone else's "misinformation."

If you don't understand the difference between dietary ketosis and ketoacidosis, you really shouldn't be posting on this topic.

I'm really not going to get into an argument on here because it's pointless. You just really need to look up some stuff on ketoacidosis if you think it can't be caused by a "ketogenic diet." Ketoacidosis isn't just associated with diabetes or alcohol. Just because that may be all you can find on the internet because you don't know what keywords to use or you don't go past page 1 of your Google search doesn't mean low-carb induced ketoacidosis doesn't exist.
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have found I've drifted into lower carbs almost accidentally. I used to have sandwiches every day at work but when started calorie counting, I opted for salads or leftovers from our tea the night before. Whilst on holiday last week, I had 2 weeks of eating more bread and felt incredibly bloated and windy... on return, the bread is gone and I feel loads better. I've lost over 4 stone since January.

Yeah I know what you mean. Although I still eat lots of bread, I don't eat as much, not because it is a carb but simply because it isn't worth the calories. You can get a lot more for your calories with protein and salad.
  • mrspater14
    Options
    What meal plan are you doing
    I too have been one to bounce around from diet to diet. I had lost a lot of weight when I was a teenager but gained it all back plus more in my early 20"s. I've tried "low-cal" and weight watchers before (multiple times). I've paid for the nutri-system diet too... Nothing worked, I felt that I was starving myself and never really felt satisfied with my meals. A few weeks ago, my boss introduced me to a miracle eating plan! A plan where I'm never hungry, Most meals are easy to prepare (You still have one homemade meal per day), I can still snack AND I don't have to exercise! This all sounded too good to be true. I figured I didn't have anything to lose except for the weight so I gave it a shot. In my first week I lost 9.6 lbs and 6 inches! I was beyond amazed, It's been almost 2 weeks and I've already lost a full pant size! I feel great, I'm never hungry and I'm not having food cravings! I only eat about 40-45 carbs per day and I intake a lot of protein, this eating plan puts your body into a state of ketosis (your body's fat burning state). This has worked for me so far. I'd say if low-carb is working for you like it's working for me, keep it up! Best of luck to you on your weight loss journey! :)
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Who couldn't love this lifestyle?!

Me.

I'm prefer a balanced diet myself. But I'm weird like that.

Same.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    The entire last half of what she said above is true. Restricting carbs below a certain level absolutely can lead to ketosis and can cause liver and kidney damage as well as a sort of "diabetic coma" or even death if you allow it to continue for an extended period of time. Ketones create acidity in the blood (ketoacidosis) and can be toxic. Do some research on ketoacidosis, ketouria, and ketogenisis.

You should probably do your own research before calling someone else's "misinformation."

If you don't understand the difference between dietary ketosis and ketoacidosis, you really shouldn't be posting on this topic.

I'm really not going to get into an argument on here because it's pointless. You just really need to look up some stuff on ketoacidosis if you think it can't be caused by a "ketogenic diet." Ketoacidosis isn't just associated with diabetes or alcohol. Just because that may be all you can find on the internet because you don't know what keywords to use or you don't go past page 1 of your Google search doesn't mean low-carb induced ketoacidosis doesn't exist.

An argument would require you to actually show some support for this position, rather than just conclusory statements. If you can show anything other than n=1 examples of this possibly occurring or it occurring in people that weren't predisposed to such a condition, I'd love to see it. I wouldn't call that pointless, I'd call it very enlightening and potentially very helpful to a lot of people. That said, I'm pretty sure that sort of proof isn't out there and I suspect I know the n=1 examples you're talking about, but if there's more to it I'd love to see it.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I eat mayo.

I don't eat low carb.

What were we talking about?
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Low carb works for me because eating carbs makes me hungry, while eating protein and fat makes me feel full.

^ This ^

I find it so much easier to stick to calorie limits when I get my calories from mostly fat & protein.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Is 200 grams low enough? No?!? Ha Rumph!
  • Fallen8905
    Fallen8905 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    *Update* I had my 2nd weigh-in (17 days in) and I'm down another 8.4lbs, 18 lbs total in 17 days, also down 9 inches. I feel great and energized! And since cutting the carbs has put my body in ketosis I never feel hungry! I love this diet! I've also started cooking more for myself and have found that although this diet limits some food I used to enjoy, there are loads of different options that I'm growing to love!

Ketosis: Unhealthy metabolic state. During ketosis, the body forms substances known as ketones, which can dull appetite and cause nausea and bad breath. Ketosis can be prevented by eating at least 100 grams of carbohydrates a day.

Ketones consist of acetone, acetoacetate or beta-hydroxybutyrate. Very high ketone levels can be toxic, making the blood more acid, and may damage such organs as the kidneys and liver. Ketosis is potentially a serious condition if keytone levels go too high.

If it causes kidney and liver problems why do doctors recommend it for things like polycystic ovary syndrome?
  • Fallen8905
    Fallen8905 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    'During the usual overnight fast the body's metabolism naturally switches into ketosis, and will switch back to glycolysis after a carbohydrate-rich meal. Longer-term ketosis may result from fasting or staying on a low-carbohydrate diet, and deliberately induced ketosis serves as a medical intervention for intractable epilepsy. In glycolysis higher levels of insulin promote storage of body fat and block release of fat from adipose tissues, while in ketosis fat reserves are readily released and consumed.[4][5] For this reason ketosis is sometimes referred to as the body's "fat burning" mode.[6] Ketosis should not be confused[7] with the similar-sounding ketoacidosis, a dangerous condition caused by a failure to produce insulin resulting in high uncontrolled levels of both ketone bodies and glucose.'
  • londonium
    londonium Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ketosis: Unhealthy metabolic state. During ketosis, the body forms substances known as ketones, which can dull appetite and cause nausea and bad breath. Ketosis can be prevented by eating at least 100 grams of carbohydrates a day.

This is a common misconception. Ketosis is a normal metabolic state that is suppressed by carbohydrates. Unless you have Type I Diabetes you are not at risk of ketoacidosis.

In the presentation I have linked below, Dr. Jeff Volek demonstrates how high performance, keto-adapted athletes have access to a more reliable source of energy than they would under a glucose-dependent metabolic pathway. I am curious to know if there is a counterargument to his findings?

Key Terms: Ketoacidosis vs Nutritional Ketosis (28 minutes in))
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC1vMBRFiwE&t=28m36s

Athletic Performance (46 minutes in)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC1vMBRFiwE&t=46m35s

Seriously, if you have more information for me on this subject I would be delighted to know more.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    So you keep trying fad diets and failing until you find a new fad diet to try?
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    People love it or hate it. Very few just come out and say "hey, so happy it works for you!"

All I know is that it's sustainable for me. I've never lost 40 pounds before. My A1C has dropped from diabetic to pre-diabetic (post-diabetic? Weird when it goes backward!) in 3 months.

I don't go full ketosis, mainly cause I know THAT wouldn't be sustainable for ME. But I still have the occasional half a potato or a sandwich. But my dinners are no longer meat/veg/potato and I'm not starving all the time.

So, you likey the carbs? Eat the carbs. Don't knock someone who is clearly excited with her success.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I eat 80-100 grams of carbs a day . Coming from someone who used to eat a full dinner plate of pasta...
    Bread no longer interests me whatsoever.
    Don't exercise. Losing 1/2 lb a week.
    Works perfect for me.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    "Low carb", IIFYM, calorie counting... whatever... just describes the way that someone eats - their diet.

A vegetarian who wears leather is still a vegetarian - just not an animal rights activist.

Even if you're choosing your dietary habits as a part of health-improving lifestyle change, your diet itself is NOT a lifestyle, just a part of one.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I did low carb the majority of my cut with a weekly carb refeed. Worked out great for me that way. I'd eat 75g or less 6 days a week and about 300 one day a week. My protein and fats always stayed the same. Keeping my protein up helped preserve muscle, keeping my fats up helped preserve hormones (figured this out the hard way when I experimented with low fat and had mood issues like crazy).
  • bradsbaby1996
    bradsbaby1996 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Low carb is a truly amazing lifestyle! The 29th of this month will be my 11 month anniversary of low carb living. I have lost 110 pounds and completely reversed all my health problems
    including major depression, sleep apnea, and fibromyalgia!
    Hey, hey - keep it down. The low-carb haters will just declare this all in your head, not something real. :wink:

Hardly. However, it's difficult to credit low-carb when the reasons for these improvements are just as likely to be a result of losing the weight and/or higher fat intake.

Sleep apnea in particular often improves just from losing weight.
    Depression is known to improve just from increasing fat intake (no idea how commonly this happens).
    I have never heard of just low-carb helping anyone with fibromyalgia - and this is significant because I happen to work in lupus (and, because the majority of patients initially diagnosed with lupus are actually fibromyalgia patients, also fibromyalgia) research.

ETA: This is not to say low-carb is bad. But it is not a 'miracle diet' either. Those who find they eat less on it and don't feel deprived should stay on it. Those that don't shouldn't feel they need to jump on the bandwagon in order to have success.

And BTW - you should still watch your calories on low carb. I know a couple of people who went low carb and gained weight fast because they LOVE meat and cream and eggs and cheese and veg and, and, and ... In fact, low carb really wasn't much of a change from their previous diet.

I never said it was a miracle diet! It isnt even a diet f9r me anymore.. it's my normal.. and I do realize that most of my problems were caused by my weight. . Whatever the case may be, low carb changed and possibly saved my life!
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    It really gets irritating when I hear people refer to low-carb as a fad diet... low-carb is not a diet.. it is a way of life. My doctor recommended it to me when I was diagnosed with PCOS.. then about 2 years later I was also diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Literally, low-carb is the ONLY way I have been able to lose weight.

Really, the only thing I miss is potatoes and sometimes a dinner roll or a breadstick.. but allowing myself a meal with a potato or a roll will not make or break my goals. The beauty about the low-carb lifestyle is if you fail, start right back tomorrow..

Good luck!

Yep, low carb for me too due to insulin resistance and I miss potatoes terribly :( I have an aunt and an uncle who are diabetic and need to inject insulin. I realized that if I didn't start controlling the carbs and sugars I was headed there. I feel really defensive and frustrated when people call low carb a fad diet.
    But whatever, I have several Drs. who are telling me this is how I need to be eating. I think I'm going to go with their medical opinions. I feel better and I'm losing weight.
  • MaroneLotz
    MaroneLotz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have been low-carbing for almost 4 months and have lost 28kg (61lbs) so far. Unfortunately I have also seen how other people who try this way of eating, actually end up putting on weight! The reason? They think they have an "all you can eat buffet" when they eat low carb or no carb foods. Some of the reasons behind my success is the fact that I eat below my kilojoule/calorie goal. I log everyday. I don't overdo all the creams/cheese/butter, etc. Moderation is still key. I have found that fat keeps my fuller for longer, so I my meals (especially dinner) are mostly much smaller than it was in the past. My dinner now fits onto a sideplate or small bowl.

After so many years I have finally figured out my body does not want things like bread, pasta, cereals, grains. The moment I ingest it, my body revolts. I have now found a great balance between protein, fat, veggies and limited carbs. Most days my carb load is 20-30grams.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    So you keep trying fad diets and failing until you find a new fad diet to try?
    Low carb is not a fad. Was that your point?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!