Ice Bucket Challenge, Ribbons, Wrist Bands, etc....

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I prefer to donate quietly

Does your $100 donation somehow do more for something than someone else's because you did it quietly?

Nah I didn't mean that.

Honestly I do understand the hype surrounding some of these big events because that they raise a lot of money, which is great. But I stand by my comment about the people donning colorful t-shirts & wristbands often just doing it for show or because someone in their workplace suggested they do a walk...I've known so many people like that, who really had no interest in raising funds but saw it as a social thing and a way to have some photos on social media to show how they're so charitable and a real "activist"...that's the kind of attitude I'm shunning and trying to relate with OP on that level.

When I said "donate quietly" I just meant...for example if someone I know well is doing a walk/run/fundraiser, I would rather just give them a cash donation directly or do an anonymous donation to their team online. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth to brag about how much I donated (which isn't a ton, granted) although I DO see the flip side of telling others which causes you support and possibly gaining more supporters that way. It's just not my style. Same with volunteer work...I would rather do something that seems not so glamorous or fun but benefits people in some way, every single week/month, than go once a year to a charity gala to get a photo in the regional magazine proving to my business network how much I support X, Y, or Z.

My friend has a foundation and she sells wrist bands, bandanas, bumper stickers and T-shirts to raise money. She can buy everything but the T-shirts for about $1 and sell them for $5. That's a 500% profit for her foundation, which is very small, all volunteer and all money raised goes toward helping break cycles of dysfunction in families. So, I don't think she cares why people buy and wear those things, only that they do.

Most of the people I have seen post videos have not said how much they are donating, so in what way are they bragging?

While I have been aware of ALS for as long as I can remember and know plenty about it, it isn't a cause that has been at the forefront of my mind. Now I know how underfunded research has been, and despite that, I know the kinds of breakthroughs have been made. Imagine what they can do with more money, which this campaign has brought them in droves.

And if you have a breakthrough for one neurological disorder, you can use it to help people with other neurological disorders, so not only ALS benefits from this.

Quit trying to make people doing a good thing feel bad about it just because it isn't how you would do it.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

Does your $100 donation somehow do more for something than someone else's because you did it quietly?

Nah I didn't mean that.

Honestly I do understand the hype surrounding some of these big events because that they raise a lot of money, which is great. But I stand by my comment about the people donning colorful t-shirts & wristbands often just doing it for show or because someone in their workplace suggested they do a walk...I've known so many people like that, who really had no interest in raising funds but saw it as a social thing and a way to have some photos on social media to show how they're so charitable and a real "activist"...that's the kind of attitude I'm shunning and trying to relate with OP on that level.

When I said "donate quietly" I just meant...for example if someone I know well is doing a walk/run/fundraiser, I would rather just give them a cash donation directly or do an anonymous donation to their team online. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth to brag about how much I donated (which isn't a ton, granted) although I DO see the flip side of telling others which causes you support and possibly gaining more supporters that way. It's just not my style. Same with volunteer work...I would rather do something that seems not so glamorous or fun but benefits people in some way, every single week/month, than go once a year to a charity gala to get a photo in the regional magazine proving to my business network how much I support X, Y, or Z.

My friend has a foundation and she sells wrist bands, bandanas, bumper stickers and T-shirts to raise money. She can buy everything but the T-shirts for about $1 and sell them for $5. That's a 500% profit for her foundation, which is very small, all volunteer and all money raised goes toward helping break cycles of dysfunction in families. So, I don't think she cares why people buy and wear those things, only that they do.

Most of the people I have seen post videos have not said how much they are donating, so in what way are they bragging?

While I have been aware of ALS for as long as I can remember and know plenty about it, it isn't a cause that has been at the forefront of my mind. Now I know how underfunded research has been, and despite that, I know the kinds of breakthroughs have been made. Imagine what they can do with more money, which this campaign has brought them in droves.

And if you have a breakthrough for one neurological disorder, you can use it to help people with other neurological disorders, so not only ALS benefits from this.

Quit trying to make people doing a good thing feel bad about it just because it isn't how you would do it.

The whole point of this thread was the OP asking if others have felt emotionally hijacked by these fundraisers and awareness efforts. And the answer, despite many comments to the contrary, is yes. SOME people share OP's feelings.

I'm not here to debate the validity of charity organizations or profitability of fundraisers or "try to make people feel bad".
    I don't think every person wearing their arm band and t-shirt to support (insert disease here) has their heart in the wrong place. Some do, some don't. Whatever.

I'm here to share my *feelings* on this topic with the OP. And I know that for some people all of the very public stuff makes them feel (in the words of OP) emotionally hijacked. There are guys out there who lose their mom to breast cancer and have pink ribbon decals all over their cars and tattooed on their bodies. Does that mean they loved their moms more than my husband loved his? No. But we're told many times that "this is what grief and healing looks like"...people running in pink t-shirts to raise awareness. It doesn't look the same for everyone.

I'm done with this because I'm really not interested in debating or arguing, when it comes to peoples' feelings there's no point driving home the statistics of a successful awareness campaign. I was just trying very hard to share an unpopular point of view.
  • rml_16
    Options

Nah I didn't mean that.

The whole point of this thread was the OP asking if others have felt emotionally hijacked by these fundraisers and awareness efforts. And the answer, despite many comments to the contrary, is yes. SOME people share OP's feelings.

I'm not here to debate the validity of charity organizations or profitability of fundraisers or "try to make people feel bad".
    I don't think every person wearing their arm band and t-shirt to support (insert disease here) has their heart in the wrong place. Some do, some don't. Whatever.

I'm here to share my *feelings* on this topic with the OP. And I know that for some people all of the very public stuff makes them feel (in the words of OP) emotionally hijacked. There are guys out there who lose their mom to breast cancer and have pink ribbon decals all over their cars and tattooed on their bodies. Does that mean they loved their moms more than my husband loved his? No. But we're told many times that "this is what grief and healing looks like"...people running in pink t-shirts to raise awareness. It doesn't look the same for everyone.

I'm done with this because I'm really not interested in debating or arguing, when it comes to peoples' feelings there's no point driving home the statistics of a successful awareness campaign. I was just trying very hard to share an unpopular point of view.
    So, you don't like people telling you how you should grieve, how you should respond to tragedy or how you should support a cause, but you're complaining about how others do it?

You're upset that someone else dealt with losing his mother by putting ribbons on his car because somehow that makes you think you have to?

You know what makes me feel "emotionally hijacked"? My friend who sis 38 with a wife and two children who got diagnosed with ALS last year.

I'm so sorry you feel bad about people pouring ice over their heads. I'm sure that is comforting to the people suffering.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

Nah I didn't mean that.

So, you don't like people telling you how you should grieve, how you should respond to tragedy or how you should support a cause, but you're complaining about how others do it?

You're upset that someone else dealt with losing his mother by putting ribbons on his car because somehow that makes you think you have to?

You know what makes me feel "emotionally hijacked"? My friend who sis 38 with a wife and two children who got diagnosed with ALS last year.

I'm so sorry you feel bad about people pouring ice over their heads. I'm sure that is comforting to the people suffering.

Like I said, I'm done with this conversation. We are clearly not on the same page whatsoever.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Yay! People wasting a bunch of water for a disease they'd have to Google to know anything about when people in other countries are showering, pissing, and drinking from the same mudhole.
    And raising millions of dollars for research into the terrible disease! Yes, I think that deserves a yay. Are you sending your excess clean water to these people in far away countries?
  • patfriendly
    patfriendly Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    10440756_10152320549592499_8693476260726196411_n.jpg
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Yay! People wasting a bunch of water for a disease they'd have to Google to know anything about when people in other countries are showering, pissing, and drinking from the same mudhole.

So what you're saying is that instead of doing the challenge and donating money to the charity you're packing up thousands of gallons of water and sending it to these countries?

I think that's awesome. :smile:

ETA: My friends mother has ALS. It's a horrific disease. The woman is very young and it's sad to see my friends Facebook posts about how they are "preparing' for the inevitable.
  • rml_16
    Options

Nah I didn't mean that.

Like I said, I'm done with this conversation. We are clearly not on the same page whatsoever.
    Not at all. I think it's great that more people are learning about the disease and that the organization is reaping the benefits.

You're angry because people aren't doing things the way you think they should while complaining that you perceive people think you do things wrong and you don't like that.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    You cannot participate in a walk/charity event and have fun doing it. You have to suffer or do it quietly because you will be seen as a glory hound, or simply taking advantage of the photo-op.

Chill out doubters. Let these people spread the word in a cool, fun way. Of course some participants miss the point, and perhaps do not donate, and might be guilty of just wanting to post a funny video...............who cares? Let it slide and go about your day.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    If you're going to donate to a cause, just do it... You don't have to do some silly challenge. A true act of kindness is one where someone doesn't seek recognition.

I'm not sure you "get it" my man. It's not about the challenge, it's about a fun way to raise awareness.
  • headofphat
    Options
    If you're going to donate to a cause, just do it... You don't have to do some silly challenge. A true act of kindness is one where someone doesn't seek recognition.

This!

Well at least two people don't get it.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny how the ones who are complaining about the challenge are the ones who don't have a loved one with the disease. Ask anyone who is living with or has a loved one with the disease and they are absolutely thrilled that this challenge is raising awareness for a disease not many people know about.
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    It's slactivism. It makes people feel like they're doing something good for the world and they're really not. I can understand buying things that contribute directly to an organization that you would like to support, I have several HRC stickers on the back of my car right now. But the ice bucket challenge seems like a cop-out. I respect the fact that it brings awareness to the issue, but I think it should be coupled with a donation to the charity not just doing the "challenge."

I believe that raising awareness is helping the cause. The intent of the ice bucket challenge is to do the challenge AND donate. If people choose not to donate then bad on them.

I also want to add that the people that are so worried about the people wearing of the t-shirts, wristbands etc and not donating to whatever cause should find something productive to do with their time. Who cares if someone did or didn't donate to a charity. They know and have to live with it. Why try and police, critisize or critique others over something we have no control over.
  • headofphat
    Options

Another person missing the point.
  • headofphat
    Options
    10440756_10152320549592499_8693476260726196411_n.jpg

...and yet another person who doesn't get it.
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options

This is about the most ignorant statement I think I have heard regarding this.
  • headofphat
    Options

Nah I didn't mean that.

So you're donating money that's great and the charity/cause probably needs your money to continue to do research and help people with the illness/hardship. However, what are you doing to help raise awareness? Were you asked to organize a run or a party or whatever? So why not throw on the cheesy t-shirt, maybe even run the 5K or whatever if you're physically capable and there you go. The donation is great and so is the part about raising awareness. You can do both or you can do either.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    I'm going to leave this Buzzfeed link here because YT is blocked at work and I can't pull up his specific video for you.

Imagine having an illness that isn't "profitable" enough to find a cure for. You are on the fringe and expected to endure and suffer because... why? Because you're in a minority?

This challenge is raising awareness. And while a lot of people are doing it wrong, it's still a big leap for the ALS community. I watched a good friend's dad wither away and die from ALS and now she has to live her life in fear of getting it too. Don't be callous.

Andrew Carbajal's video is very impactful and contains all of the reasons why this is good. I suggest you watch it.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alanwhite/this-guys-ice-bucket-challenge-is-hilarious-and-heartbreakin#3u7028e
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I think the ribbons, wristbands, etc., do help in drawing public attention to these causes. Maybe people who see that and aren't familiar with cancer, ALS, autism, whatever, in their own lives and so don't think of it will do so after seeing the media recognition. That said.........No way in hell am I having ice water poured over my head. I prefer to donate directly to the causes I believe in....and I do.
    I will do 5K run/walks for the fun of it, and if it's also for charity, that's the cherry on top.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I think this ice bucket challenge is really stupid...if they really want to make it a challenge, then do it in the winter, not the summer. That's hardly a challenge.

Its not really a challenge...it is something to bring ATTENTION to a disease that has forever been hidden behind the scenes. It is about more than the ice water....fact is we are talking about it. ALS has never been talked about...the public has NO IDEA what ALS means or how devistating it is to the people who have it.

It may be silly to watch a bunch of people pouring water over themselves...but for the first time EVER, ALS is in the forefront of the news and media...and people are learning about it.

And that is a good thing.