Eating TDEE experiences

Options
2»

Replies

• HellaCarriefornia
    HellaCarriefornia Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I use the TDEE method and found it to be successful. I like it because I have a set daily calorie goal. The whole eating back exercise calories was not for me...one day I had to plan 1600 calories of meals, the next I was trying to eat 2000...it wasn't for me.
    At first, I wasn't sure of using the calculators and how accurate the numbers were. I went and had a RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate) test and consulation with a nutritionist and the "weight loss zone" range the test came up with was nearly spot on with what I had calculated my TDEE - 20% to be. I don't feel hungry or deprived and I feel like this is a way I can live the rest of my life vs. a "diet" I'll go off of.
  • Equus3nMom
    Equus3nMom Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've been following this thread and call me thoroughly confused. So, I had a suspicion that I am "Very Active" not just "Active". My weight lost has been very close to .5lb a day for the past 29 days. I'm not feeling hungry, but I do want to be sure I'm not setting myself up for future issues. (I've known someone who had gall stones from a fasting style liquid diet - do Not want to go there)

So, I got a FitBit. My hope is that it would help me get a better estimation of my activity level. I've had it for three days, but my "Very Active Minutes has been ranging around 100 + minutes a day.

I had set myself as "active" on MFP. I was eating some of my exercise calories back, though not all. I was only logging gym workouts, not my day to day activities.

I just did Scooby and it says I need to be eating 1800 cals. I'm eating 1200-1300 most days... though I have had a couple up to 1500 and one at 1800 in the past month.

Help me, please. LOL

Should I set MFP to sedentary and then log all activity? Should I log it all in FitBit instead? Or, am I pretty much okay so long as I am happy with my loss? (I am)

Thanks in advance.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I lost about 45 pounds eating my MFP calories + exercise calories. I lost the rest using TDEE - 20%. Both methods work, and the numbers usually come out about the same no matter which way you choose to account for your calories. It's really just personal preference, and it comes down to what's easiest for you.

Personally, I like the TDEE method because I prefer to have the same calorie and macro goals every day regardless of what kind of physical activity I do. However, if your workouts are sporadic or unpredictable, or you're still working on maintaining a relatively steady level of physical activity, then the TDEE method might not be ideal.

I think others have already cleared this up, but keep in mind that your TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure (how many calories your body burns in a day and what you'd have to eat to maintain your current weight). To lose weight, most people eat at a 10-20% cut from that number. You can lose weight eating at the TDEE of your goal weight, but it will likely be a very slow process (especially as you get close to your goal weight), as these numbers are really just decent estimations and don't take into account any inaccuracies when it comes to food intake and varying activity levels. :smile:
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm sure someone already said this, but the idea is that you eat 20% less than your TDEE, not your TDEE exactly.

I switched from eating back my exercise calories to eating 20% less than my TDEE. I was nervous at first when I started, and I spent a lot of time crunching numbers before hand. I averaged how many total calories I consumed (not net) over the course of the week, which came to 1900, 100 below TDEE - 20%. A few weeks ago I made that switch so that instead of zig zagging my caloric intake to net 1350 (1350 some days, 2300 some other days lol), I eat a consistent 1900 every day. So far I like it. Planning is much easier, and it gives me more stability. I'm not actually eating more overall as it is what I was averaging before, but it is working for me.

One of my big concerns is that I would love my motivation to work out without using food as a reward.. I am just as motivated as ever! Another concern was what if I accidentally don't work out as much?? So far, that hasn't been a problem either
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    There are so many good answers here! I think the reason TDEE didn't work a well for me is that my daily activity level (not including exercise) is very variable. I set my account at sedentary and adjust if I am more active on a day (by adding some "walking" to my diary), plus I log exercise sessions (I adjust those down, so that I don't double my exercise calories).
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Best move I ever made was switching to TDEE. I started with a 20% cut from it, then 10-15%. I felt better, workouts were awesome, and the inches came off. I reached goal weight over 2 years ago, and have kept it off all this time, while still progressing in fitness and slowing lowering body fat percentage.

I'm at the point now where I am comfortable with my numbers - I know my upper and lower limits, and it's been very freeing and totally sustainable. Since hitting "goal weight" on the scale, my weight has fluctuated up and down around 7lbs or so, but my clothes fit the same and measurements continue to improve. I can do this for life and I plan to!

I used the information, instructions and links in this topic to calculate my BMR, TDEE, and to set my macros, and it has worked great for me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • Equus3nMom
    Equus3nMom Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    @AmyRhubarb

Thank you! What a fantastic link!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Here is one potential problem for TDEE vs MFP logging and eating back calories for smaller (not just shorter, but lower body weights).

As you get below 130 lbs, TDEE minus 20% may be less than MFP plus exercise. Therefore to keep the MFP plan working you may have to manually change your NET goal to something below 1200 (gasp!).

Let me explain:

My TDEE is approximately 1600 per day. 1600- 20%=1280

MFP: 1200+ 200 (most days I get 150-250 exercise cals)= 1400.

So if I use MFP without changing it, I will only get a deficit of 200 calories, and thus my loss will slow to less than 1/2 lb per week.

So I set my MFP goal to 1175 to give myself just a bit more deficit (225), plus that compensates for error a bit, which is a bigger issue when your deficit is smaller.

Anyway, this is just a word of warning to smaller sizes. It is worth it to find out what your TDEE is and then you can either use the TDEE method, or adjust your MFP goals accordingly.