Is my trainer wrong?

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I started Stronglifts today and I am working with a trainer just to make sure my form is right. Let me start by saying this guy is really against me doing Stronglifts.

I didn't read any further. Fire the trainer, find one who isn't an idiot.

EDIT: Ok, went back and read the rest of it. Don't just fire him, shoot him and bury his body in the woods before he can screw up anybody else. Compound moves with low weight is EXACTLY where a novice should be starting. Bloody hell...

Yup. He's also completely wrong about deadlift activation. Imagine what else he's wrong about.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    It's not that uncommon for some trainers to focus on some isolation exercises to build strength before moving into compound lifts. That said, it's been mentioned that SL 5x5 starts off with low weight specifically so that you can work on form.

If you can lift up a bag of cat litter, you're strong enough to perform those lifts with an empty bar. And even if you're not strong enough to perform those lifts with an empty oly bar, those are movements people use doing everyday tasks anyway.
  • liftnlove_
    liftnlove_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? Strength only, or hypertrophy and aesthetics? If it's the former, you are correct. If it's the latter, the trainer is correct and this isn't the most efficient and safe program for you.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I have never worked with barbells. Some dumbbells....some machines.....so I wanted to make sure I was doing the lifts correctly. I didn't even know how to add plates! :laugh:

As for deadlifts...I thought it was 1 set of 5?

No, ma'am. One rep, 5 sets on the DLs.

I don't think SL5x5 programs 5 1RM's for your DL's - pretty sure it's warm up sets and then 1 set of 5 reps and you're done. They keep it 1x5 to avoid overtaxing your CNS - trying to bang out 5 1RM's would be incredibly taxing.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I have never worked with barbells. Some dumbbells....some machines.....so I wanted to make sure I was doing the lifts correctly. I didn't even know how to add plates! :laugh:

I don't think SL5x5 programs 5 1RM's for your DL's - pretty sure it's warm up sets and then 1 set of 5 reps and you're done. They keep it 1x5 to avoid overtaxing your CNS - trying to bang out 5 1RM's would be incredibly taxing.

yeah, SL5x5 is 1 set of 5 reps.

With my trainer, we do deads 4 or 5 sets of 30 at 80% of my 1x5 weight.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

If you can do 5 sets of 30 reps at 80%, it sounds to me like you're going too light on your 1x5's.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    You're asking your trainer to teach you good form. That is the only thing you need him for. And you want him to micro-critique your form. If he isn't doing that, you need a new trainer.

I would be very, very concerned about the lower back soreness. Chances are, you're setting the bar down wrong, and even a lousy trainer should be able to identify that problem. It sounds like this guy isn't even trying.

If you don't mind doing a lot of reading, I recommend reading "Starting Strength". That will show you the level of detail your trainer should be worried about. I know some good trainers disagree with Rippetoe about some of his teaching methods, so I wouldn't get hung up on following SS teaching form exactly, but any trainer should be worrying about things at that level of detail.
  • dbmata
    Options

If you can do 5 sets of 30 reps at 80%, it sounds to me like you're going too light on your 1x5's.

Probably, my big limiter at the moment is grip strength. I can hit 325 for 5, but can't go beyond that. I can hit 260 for sets of reps. I can imagine once the grip catches up, that 1x5 should jump. I do have some straps on order though. :)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Probably, my big limiter at the moment is grip strength. I can hit 325 for 5, but can't go beyond that. I can hit 260 for sets of reps. I can imagine once the grip catches up, that 1x5 should jump. I do have some straps on order though. :)

Try both overhead grip when deadlifting to work on grip strength. It is harder then the offset grip. I was stuck at 315 for months. MY friend comes along tell me to change two things then I get a 380 deadlift max. You can try the hook grip which is to put the four fingers around the thumb. It hurts though a lot.

Also for my last set after heavy dead lift I lower weight to 225 and perform deadlift and hold for as long as possible.
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? Strength only, or hypertrophy and aesthetics? If it's the former, you are correct. If it's the latter, the trainer is correct and this isn't the most efficient and safe program for you.

Strength. I mean, I would like to lower my body fat a bit so you can see the muscle I am building but that will be diet-focused, right? But even if you train for size, don't you get stronger?
  • dbmata
    Options

Try both overhead grip when deadlifting to work on grip strength. It is harder then the offset grip. I was stuck at 315 for months. MY friend comes along tell me to change two things then I get a 380 deadlift max. You can try the hook grip which is to put the four fingers around the thumb. It hurts though a lot.

Also for my last set after heavy dead lift I lower weight to 225 and perform deadlift and hold for as long as possible.

Heard that on hook grip, I'm weak though, it hurts. ;) I'm just getting used to offset now, it's a bit of a pain to turn an arm out.

My last set is always a stripper where I hold out at the longest hold I can handle, helps with lockout.

It'll get up there, 400 ain't too far. ;)
  • dbmata
    Options

Strength. I mean, I would like to lower my body fat a bit so you can see the muscle I am building but that will be diet-focused, right? But even if you train for size, don't you get stronger?

there is a matter of maximization. When you train for size you get maximal size, and strength. When you train for strength you get maximal strength and then increased size comes as a product of that.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Heard that on hook grip, I'm weak though, it hurts. ;) I'm just getting used to offset now, it's a bit of a pain to turn an arm out.

My last set is always a stripper where I hold out at the longest hold I can handle, helps with lockout.

It'll get up there, 400 ain't too far. ;)

That same friend of mine weights like 170 and deadlift 500 LOL.
  • nikkohli
    Options

there is a matter of maximization. When you train for size you get maximal size, and strength. When you train for strength you get maximal strength and then increased size comes as a product of that.

SO much to learn :) Thanks for explaining that. I always thought the difference between size (besides how heavy you lift to grow the muscle), was how low you get your body fat. I didn't realize training for strength was a different animal than training for size.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

SO much to learn :) Thanks for explaining that. I always thought the difference between size (besides how heavy you lift to grow the muscle), was how low you get your body fat. I didn't realize training for strength was a different animal than training for size.

May I ask what has your trainer taught you?
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options

That's cardio.
    ;-)
    But seriously, WTF?!?
  • nikkohli
    Options

May I ask what has your trainer taught you?

I am not sure what you are asking? Yesterday was my first time with him....and as you can see from these posts, I wasn't comfortable.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i dont' really understand his objections. If its something you want to do, your going to have to learn the form sometime, not sure why now is a bad time.

personally don't feel that strengthening muscles prior to lifting a certain why is really necessairy. if you experience pain or discomfort while using a weight that is clearly light for you, its probably due to flexibility issues that are best worked out with low weight and good attention to form.

i think the trainer is wrong lol
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    Try not to dread tomorrow - go back, give him another chance by clearly explaining (again) your plan and goals and maybe you'll mesh better this time. If not, get your money's worth from your 3 sessions, learn proper form and either try someone else or keep learning on your own. Sometimes people just have a bad day and he may rethink what you originally asked and may be more helpful.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options

well, to be honest with you, i think more often then not one will mistake the definition gained by losing fat for an actual increase in muscle size.

people's preceptions of what kind of muscle mass is naturally attainable is pretty warpped by pro bodybuilding, pro wrestling, and actors who've built careers out of being large muscular men. That kind of physique isn't attainable without drugs (for over 95% of the population at least). I'd take that a step further and say that most men probably aren't very far away from thier full genetic potential muscle mass simply by being active and not being mal-nurished.

my point being that i think most guys would be very happy with thier muscularity if they could just keep the muslce they already have and drop significant amounts of body fat.

this is not meant as an excuse not to lift, as you will have a tough time keeping your muscle while losing fat without lifting, nor is it a suggestion that training for size is pointless, as one lbs. of muslce can have a dramtic effect on a body with low BF%... its just a reminder to keep things in perspective.

this is a chart that was developed by researching natural body builders. Its supposed to give you an idea of what the average person would weight, at a given height and bf% after ten years of training without steroids

http://www.builtlean.com/2011/03/30/how-much-muscle-can-you-gain-naturally/