Eliminating foods (Coeliacs/IBS)

Options
Basically I've been back and forth from the doctors for years regarding digestive issues been tested numerous times for coeliacs and results coming back inconclusive so I've got diagnosed with IBS because they don't really want to test further unless my symptoms get worse. So as a result my doctor has just told me to keep a food diary and begin to eliminate foods that cause any discomfort in me.

So far I've only eliminated porridge as it's the only thing that's made me feel very ill after I eat it, generally with everything else it's not till later in the evening if I feel ill so I'm at a loose end with that however I don't really want to sabotage my meals and loosing out on calories and nutrition if this takes a while to do so.

Ideally where would the best place to start when beginning to eliminate foods?

Replies

• M______
    M______ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Porridge, you know that often with IBS it would be recommended that you increase your intake of oats? Usually it is seen as a pretty safe thing to do and something that could help eliminate bloating and wind. How do you take your porridge? With milk? If so that could cause you a problem. I take mine with water and some fresh fruit.

Gluten wise, you are safe with fruits and vegetables, meats, brown rice and more. You likely aren't safe with bread, pasta, cakes, biscuits, anything with wheat. You'd have to specifically look for 'gluten free' or 'free from gluten' for those kinds of products.

Another thing you could eliminate is dairy, milk. There are good alternatives for cows milk. Soya and almond milk are 2 of the most popular substitutes. I use almond milk with everything, and after just a day with it I preferred it.

Do you publicly log your food diary? I'm just starting to try and cut gluten out completely myself.
  • Paper_Diva
    Paper_Diva Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    In regards to celiacs, have you been eating gluten for a minimum of 12 weeks before being tested? You have to have gluten in your system for 12 weeks in order for the antibodies to show up in a blood test.

Has your doctor ever done a colonoscopy or endoscopy of the small intestines and stomach? This could help rule out crohn's or ulcerative colitis as well as gastritis.

A detailed food diary along with what time you ate and what time/exactly what symptoms you had to rule out any food allergies.

Has he tested for food allergies?

Make sure you eliminate one food at a time for at least a week to see if your symptoms go away.
  • ineedalifetbh
    ineedalifetbh Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Porridge, you know that often with IBS it would be recommended that you increase your intake of oats? Usually it is seen as a pretty safe thing to do and something that could help eliminate bloating and wind. How do you take your porridge? With milk? If so that could cause you a problem. I take mine with water and some fresh fruit.

Gluten wise, you are safe with fruits and vegetables, meats, brown rice and more. You likely aren't safe with bread, pasta, cakes, biscuits, anything with wheat. You'd have to specifically look for 'gluten free' or 'free from gluten' for those kinds of products.

Another thing you could eliminate is dairy, milk. There are good alternatives for cows milk. Soya and almond milk are 2 of the most popular substitutes. I use almond milk with everything, and after just a day with it I preferred it.

Do you publicly log your food diary? I'm just starting to try and cut gluten out completely myself.

I can't eat it anymore it used to mildly upset my stomach and it's got to the point I can be crippling over with cramp from eating it. I used to take it with water, I don't drink milk anymore. Usually I just have yogurt and fruit or an omelette for breakfast now.

I know I'm fine with all vegetable although I've found oranges upset my stomach too. I'm fine with some foods with gluten, not so much others. I completely stopped diking milk, only source of dairy I take directly is cheese but I'm trying to cut that out of my diet to so I'd be fine with going with alternatives.

I do log publicly only to my friends thought, I did try to go gluten free for a few weeks and my last doctor appointment as it just was useless but I was finding i hard hitting my calories and macro's so I just went back to eating what I was used to.
  • ineedalifetbh
    ineedalifetbh Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    In regards to celiacs, have you been eating gluten for a minimum of 12 weeks before being tested? You have to have gluten in your system for 12 weeks in order for the antibodies to show up in a blood test.

Has your doctor ever done a colonoscopy or endoscopy of the small intestines and stomach? This could help rule out crohn's or ulcerative colitis as well as gastritis.

A detailed food diary along with what time you ate and what time/exactly what symptoms you had to rule out any food allergies.

Has he tested for food allergies?

Make sure you eliminate one food at a time for at least a week to see if your symptoms go away.

When I first got tested I think so, but I don't remember if I was eating enough and my last test I hadn't actually consumed any gluten a few days before, didn't think I'd be getting tested again.

My doctors aren't very "useful" in that sense, they'll go with the most common thing to diagnose you with hence IBS but they said I will only be getting referred if my symptoms worsen which then haven't other than my hair thinning but my doctors puts that down to stress but won't look further than blood tests about and says everything's normal.

The problem is most of my symptoms don't show up a few hours after I've eaten and it's not usually till later afternoon and dinnertime is when I'm most likely to consume gluten. I think I'd rather try elimination first and see what else I can add to my list.