80 pounds, 3 months, doable?

Options
6'5 290. Turn 20 in december. Wanna be able to show off my body and not feel gross bout myself.

I've been fat my whole life. Not cuz of my genes cuz i always overate. I binge on junk like every night. Even till this day. At my heaviest i was 400 pounds at 6'5. I feel like my body probably won't have a ton of trouble shedding this weight cuz i'm really not supposed to be fat in the first place. Everyone in my family is athletic.

Plan is to eat 1,000 calories of protein a day. 300 calories of carbs a day. a little bit of fat. Plus negative calorie foods/ couple hundred calories of veggies. I'll take a multivitamin too.

As far as workouts go? I'll stick to current plan of full body split every other day. Right now i do about 30 minutes of cardio every morning. Will bump that up to an hour of cardio every morning. Usually light jogging/jump roping. I'll also add in HIIT 3 nights of the week.

If i stick to the above plan is my goal realistic? Is it unhealthy?

And assuming that i don't eat more than 2100 calories after reaching my goal weight i shouldn't have any problem maintaining right?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    no
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    no....

20 year old man shouldn't be eating 1k...I have a son that age he eats about 4k a day and loses (active job) but no exercise. Shorter than you and weighs less.

It is not realistic or healthy
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    6'5 290. Turn 20 in december. Wanna be able to show off my body and not feel gross bout myself.

I've been fat my whole life. Not cuz of my genes cuz i always overate. I binge on junk like every night. Even till this day. At my heaviest i was 400 pounds at 6'5. I feel like my body probably won't have a ton of trouble shedding this weight cuz i'm really not supposed to be fat in the first place. Everyone in my family is athletic.

Plan is to eat 1,000 calories of protein a day. 300 calories of carbs a day. a little bit of fat. Plus negative calorie foods/ couple hundred calories of veggies. I'll take a multivitamin too.

As far as workouts go? I'll stick to current plan of full body split every other day. Right now i do about 30 minutes of cardio every morning. Will bump that up to an hour of cardio every morning. Usually light jogging/jump roping. I'll also add in HIIT 3 nights of the week.

If i stick to the above plan is my goal realistic? Is it unhealthy?

And assuming that i don't eat more than 2100 calories after reaching my goal weight i shouldn't have any problem maintaining right?
    There is so much wrong with this plan...... So much .. well you need to eat more food, you need to have patience, there are no negative calorie foods..... If you eat like this you'll end up with no muscle mass and likely make yourself ill.

If you want to be sensible and healthy follow the link

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    No! Counterproductive- if you go too low your body will go into starvation mode and hang on to the fat. If you're exercising you need to eat sufficient nutrients.
    You can lose a lot the first week or two of a diet, this is because the first thing you use are your body's glycogen stores, and these are bound up with a lot of water. I lost 16lbs my first week. But this is not sustainable, a safe and sensible weight loss is one to two pounds a week.
    If you're exercising more you may actually retain some fluid in your muscles.
    One thing on your side is your gender, men lose it faster than women!
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Unless I am reading it wrong, he didn't say he was only going to eat 1000 cals. He said 1000 cals of protein and the rest in carbs, fat and veg.

You mention 2100 cals for maintenance, how many do you plan to eat whilst losing?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    So you have been overweight all your life, and you think you can reverse that in 3 months??? Can we take a moment to think logically please.

Don't you want to learn how to lose the weight in a safe sane way that you will be able to maintain????

I eat 1000 calories in 1 meal most days. I average 1600-1900 calories and have lost a little weight. I started at 285 so about where you are now.

Read these and please start thinking in the long term not just for your birthday. Good luck

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+step+guide

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    no.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    No, and not even healthy way to do it.
  • bigbadsads
    Options
    Aside from being unhealthy, you would last a week on that before binging.
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    No.

3 months - so 12 weeks - at 2lb a week (maximum recommended for health weightloss) that's 24lbs. And that's assuming that you stick to your goal deficit everyday in that 3 month period.

I'm female, older, over a foot shorter and eat a lot more than you are planning to. I'm losing weight just fine.

Please read the sexy pants thread linked above, and set a healthier, realistic goal from there. If you do that you'll be well on the way to the body you want by your 20th birthday (24lbs is a lot of weight to drop), and you'll have achieved the weightloss you want, in a healthy way by the time you reach your 21st.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Of course it's doable! Hell, you can do it in less than 3 months.

...just cut off all your limbs. Voila! 80 lbs gone!

Serious Answer: No.
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Actually just re-read it and it sounds like you are planning to eat between 1400 - 1500 tops. At 6' 5" that is way too low. I eat more than that and I am 5' 2.5" female.

It's great you want to lose the weight but there is not rush, better to do it slowly and healthily and you have more chance of keeping it off.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    All of the above.

80lb in a YEAR is a tough but achievable goal.

But don't let this put you off... you can still loose 20lb in 3 months and that will make a big difference to the way you look and the way you feel - not only because you will be lighter and thinner but because you will know you just need to keep doing the same to reach your target.

I suggest you take the time to read the links people put up but if you want a short version:

1) Set you daily calories based on MFP's default settings for your weight loss goal - which should initially be 1-2 lb per week.

2) Exercise is your best friend. Do a bit more strength training (weight lifting) - I know CV work give you more exercise calories but you need a bit of muscle to support your body when you do the CV stuff later - plus having muscle means you burn more calories all the time. As you progress, mix up your CV and strength training. Any decent gym will give you good 1:1 advice on this. If you are training at home plenty of research so you don't hurt yourself!

3) Non scale measurements (eg clothes sizes) are more exciting than weighing in and actually quite often you find you weeks where weight stays the same and your body changes. Enjoy and share your successes here.

4) There are a million views on the best way to consume your calories (dat/carb/protein mix etc). In my, perhaps over-simplified view, if your only goal is weight loss then these ratios make virtually no difference - however in terms of health and how you feel you might want to think more about your choice. Personally I found for weight training I needed to up the amount of protein I ate post exercise or my muscles didn't bulk or recover as quickly. For running (and I guess other CV work) I needed more carbs, spread throughout the day to aid recovery. In general, the more I cook from fresh the better I feel, and the more I trust the calorie count..

Good luck.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain this 80 pounds in 3 month's so why do you want it off in three months? More important, you say that you binge every night, what makes you think that this behavior is just going to stop? If it could just "stop" then I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have gotten to 400 pounds in the first place.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Considering your age OP it is all context relevant...as in if you drop your weight drastically in a short time frame your skin will be saggy, you may have to get plastic surgery to get rid of the excess skin left over because of your impatience. You are young therefore have time to do this and give your body the best chance it has at getting back into shape without the negative impact of drastic fast weight loss.

As mentioned if you did it in a realistic and healthy manner you would be at an ideal weight within your early twenty's.

1-2years may seem like a long time but a lifetime of excess skin or scarring is a lot longer. Patience is key OP.
  • MzOnree
    MzOnree Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You have already lost a ton of weight. Stick with your original weight loss plan and be happier and healthier for it. :smile:
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    NO.

25-30 pounds is doable in that time frame given your size and age, but 80, absolutely not without removal of limbs.

Rigger