weight training wears me out!

Options
I can usually do card with minor setback the next day, but for some reason when I lift, holy hell does my body feel it! The next 24-48 hours my body wants to sleep for 12+ hours. I drink lots of water and eat as much protein as I can. Yet still, I can't fight the issue of feeling so physically drained even when I do get 8 hours of sleep it never feels enough. Is that normal? Should I sleep so long or fight it and try to keep awake? I do realize I sleep earlier and wake up earlier getting roughly 6 to 8 hours of sleep. Also should you feel sore for more than 3 days after a work out? Should you work out when your sore even after 2 to 3 days after your previous work out?Any answers or eexperience will help!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    You might be doing too much, or following a poor program. Or maybe you're not eating enough. List the details of your program - the exercises, # of sets, # of reps, and the weight used. And also how often you do them.
  • Geekyfatgirl
    Geekyfatgirl Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I use the app pump up which has me do squats weighed lunges, and some weight resistance. With the dumbells the weights range from 12 lbs to 15lbs. 3 sets of 12. The lunges and squats kill me lol. I did shoulder press with 12 lbs for 12 reps. Slowly I've been getting better but my body wants to shut down for a while.
  • Cherimoose
    Options
    Try doing no more than 4 total sets for legs, and 3 total sets for chest & upper back. Post your results.

How often do you work each muscle group?
  • Geekyfatgirl
    Options
    Alright I'll try that. I work out 3 times a week 1 upper body 2 lower body and 3 fullbody, try for working out money wed and friday
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this program? It sounds like your body is just getting used to the program. When I started lifting, I was the same way. Over time it will get easier.

Also make sure you are fueling your body properly for the work you're asking it to do.
  • Geekyfatgirl
    Options
    I just started maybe about a week and a half ago, I just wondered if this was normal or maybe I went to hard
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I just started maybe about a week and a half ago, I just wondered if this was normal or maybe I went to hard

I would say your body is just adjusting to a new routine...and as fivethreeone noted, you need to eat to support the activity as well...you can't ask your body to do work and then not feed it...doesn't work that way.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I can usually do card with minor setback the next day, but for some reason when I lift, holy hell does my body feel it! The next 24-48 hours my body wants to sleep for 12+ hours. I drink lots of water and eat as much protein as I can. Yet still, I can't fight the issue of feeling so physically drained even when I do get 8 hours of sleep it never feels enough. Is that normal? Should I sleep so long or fight it and try to keep awake? I do realize I sleep earlier and wake up earlier getting roughly 6 to 8 hours of sleep. Also should you feel sore for more than 3 days after a work out? Should you work out when your sore even after 2 to 3 days after your previous work out?Any answers or eexperience will help!

KEEP GOING!!! And load up on proteins after your workout!!! I have a protein shake with a scoop of glutamine after my workout within a half hour. If your muscles ache because you're working out, then good for you you're doing it right!!!
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options

I've been with a trainer for almost a year and I still ache after every workout!
  • knot_enough
    knot_enough Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    protein is good for building muscle but how about your carb intake? if you're doing a little more work, you need a little more energy in the form of carbs to help mobilize that protein.
  • fivethreeone
    Options

Nope, that's normal.
  • fivethreeone
    Options

KEEP GOING!!! And load up on proteins after your workout!!! I have a protein shake with a scoop of glutamine after my workout within a half hour. If your muscles ache because you're working out, then good for you you're doing it right!!!

Overall, this is not necessarily true, particularly if you have been working out for a while.

Muscle aches do not indicate a good workout, they typically indicate novelty.

I see that your trainer makes you ache after every workout; I'd expect that he or she varies the volume and areas worked in order to achieve that result; it's not necessarily that you're doing a good workout. It's that the workouts you do are not the same every time.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    This is pretty normal, it is called DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness), most people get it when starting a new weight training program, but it eventually goes away. I wouldn't worry, it's just your body adjusting.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Just checked your diary, well, how do you know how much protein you are getting when you hardly logging anything and I hope you are eating more than 500 calories.....if this is the case this maybe the reason you are so tired and worn out, you are not fueling your body properly.
  • Cherimoose
    Options

No, it is not normal to feel exhausted and want to sleep for 12+ hours. Those are symptoms of overtraining. Google that term to learn more.
    A better plan for a newbie would be 2-3 sets of legs the first week, then add 1 set per workout, until you're up to 5 sets. Most newbies don't need more than 5 sets for legs, and 3-4 sets for chest & upper back.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

Overall, this is not necessarily true, particularly if you have been working out for a while.

Muscle aches do not indicate a good workout, they typically indicate novelty.

I see that your trainer makes you ache after every workout; I'd expect that he or she varies the volume and areas worked in order to achieve that result; it's not necessarily that you're doing a good workout. It's that the workouts you do are not the same every time.

2nd this. I usually only get DOMS now if I skip the post-weights LISS/MISS or don't stretch well. Or if I've increased the weight enough for the first time.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    OP, things to consider:
    1) are you eating enough carbs for energy?
    2) are you eating enough period? Even if fat loss is your goal, if your deficit is too large it will significantly impact energy and performance.
    3) Are you well hydrated?
    4) Do you do a proper warm up? Both dynamic stretches and something else on top of that to get your heart rate up if the stretches don't do it.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you might also need to increase your calories
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You either aren't logging accurately or you are barely eating 500 calories most days. Start logging accurately and people can help you better.
  • Geekyfatgirl
    Options
    I wouldn't judge my diary too harshly, days I only log 500 call I eat more than that, it's just that my boyfriend or mom or someone else made the food and I had no idea what portions they used or how to properly log it. I don't always make my own food and sometimes we eat at a relatives place which logging call intake is kind of a random guessing game. I do drink protein shakes after my work outs. Also I eat roughly twice daily sometimes three times the third being a snack.

I'll try to log better but I've just been doing that. I heard to lose fat you need to lift heavy so that is what I have been doing, just thought it was my body trying to adjust. As for carbs, most of every research I've done said stay low carb, only use some from fruits and veggies but eat more protein (1 get per lb of lean muscle). Perhaps I'm wrong in what I've read? My body is kind of weird so I need to figure out what I need to do. I'm not a stranger to weights just strange to use them in a way I gain lean muscle and lose fat. :p