The Ketogenic Diet REVIEW ( information you needed )

Options
124»

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I bestow upon this thread.....the first of (hopefully) many cat gifs to come

3637676_60x60.png?v=1394313579.89

tadaaaa
  • VeganCappy
    VeganCappy Posts: 122
    Options
    Bottom line: Reduce body fat, cure type II diabetes.
    If that had been true, nobody with normal weight would have type 2 diabetes , which is NOT the case.

That's is like saying no one with normal weight can have a heart attack. it isn't the visceral fat, it is the fat built up in the arteries and organs that is the problem.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    If that had been true, nobody with normal weight would have type 2 diabetes , which is NOT the case.

That's is like saying no one with normal weight can have a heart attack. it isn't the visceral fat, it is the fat built up in the arteries and organs that is the problem.
    First, visceral fat IS the fat that's built-up in the organs . . .

Second, reducing body fat does not cure Type II diabetes. Reducing visceral adipose tissue certainly helps improve insulin-sensitivity in many Type II diabetics, however.

Also, "fat built up in the arteries and organs" isn't necessarily going to cause a heart attack. It's not fat, per-se, that's "built up in the arteries". You need to learn more about inflammation in the CV system if that's what you think.

Please stop relying on vegan dogma for your poorly-constructed arguments.
  • VeganCappy
    VeganCappy Posts: 122
    Options

First, visceral fat IS the fat that's built-up in the organs . . .

Second, reducing body fat does not cure Type II diabetes. Reducing visceral adipose tissue certainly helps improve insulin-sensitivity in many Type II diabetics, however.

Also, "fat built up in the arteries and organs" isn't necessarily going to cause a heart attack. It's not fat, per-se, that's "built up in the arteries". You need to learn more about inflammation in the CV system if that's what you think.

Please stop relying on vegan dogma for your poorly-constructed arguments.

My bad, I meant to say it isn't the subcutaneous fat, but the fat around the organs and arteries.

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/articles/53-/13578-visceral-fat-not-obesity-increases-risk-of-diabetes
  • uchube
    uchube Posts: 44
    Options
    I know better than to weigh in with actual peer-reviewed research on a thread like this but what the h**l, it's saturday and I'm done with my chores

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14672862

Low-carbohydrate diets: what are the potential short- and long-term health implications?

Low-carbohydrate diets for weight loss are receiving a lot of attention of late. Reasons for this interest include a plethora of low-carbohydrate diet books, the over-sensationalism of these diets in the media and by celebrities, and the promotion of these diets in fitness centres and health clubs. The re-emergence of low-carbohydrate diets into the spotlight has lead many people in the general public to question whether carbohydrates are inherently 'bad' and should be limited in the diet. Although low-carbohydrate diets were popular in the 1970s they have resurged again yet little scientific fact into the true nature of how these diets work or, more importantly, any potential for serious long-term health risks in adopting this dieting practice appear to have reached the mainstream literature. Evidence abounds that low-carbohydrate diets present no significant advantage over more traditional energy-restricted, nutritionally balanced diets both in terms of weight loss and weight maintenance.

Studies examining the efficacy of using low-carbohydrate diets for long-term weight loss are few in number, however few positive benefits exist to promote the adoption of carbohydrate restriction as a realistic, and more importantly, safe means of dieting. While short-term carbohydrate restriction over a period of a week can result in a significant loss of weight (albeit mostly from water and glycogen stores), of serious concern is what potential exists for the following of this type of eating plan for longer periods of months to years.

Complications such as heart arrhythmias, cardiac contractile function impairment, sudden death, osteoporosis, kidney damage, increased cancer risk, impairment of physical activity and lipid abnormalities can all be linked to long-term restriction of carbohydrates in the diet. The need to further explore and communicate the untoward side-effects of low-carbohydrate diets should be an important public health message from nutrition professionals.

or this one: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12684364

Efficacy and safety of low-carbohydrate diets: a systematic review.

Low-carbohydrate diets have been popularized without detailed evidence of their efficacy or safety. The literature has no clear consensus as to what amount of carbohydrates per day constitutes a low-carbohydrate diet.

There is insufficient evidence to make recommendations for or against the use of low-carbohydrate diets, particularly among participants older than age 50 years, for use longer than 90 days, or for diets of 20 g/d or less of carbohydrates. Among the published studies, participant weight loss while using low-carbohydrate diets was principally associated with decreased caloric intake and increased diet duration but not with reduced carbohydrate content.

EDIT: fixed paragraph breaks.

First, I noticed your web site reference and the ".gov" at the end....so I did not even bother to go and look at it. ".gov" has done a wonderful job of suggesting that I should continue to follow the low-fat diet I had been on for years. On that low-fat diet, I blossomed up to 328 pounds, had gestational diabetes, and now have full blown type II diabetes.

I started on the LCHF diet on May 1 of this year. I am now off of my injectable diabetes medication, while still taking my Metformin (which has been reduced by 50% by the doctor already). Even with no injectable medication and half my oral meds, I am still having sugar lows. Looks like tomorrow, I will be removed from all diabetes meds.

In one month, I have dropped 21 pounds. I am happy, feel great, never hungry and love the idea of the eggs and bacon I get every morning. I eat when my stomach growls and don't eat when I am not hungry. I eat about 1600 calories a day, have enough energy to work 12 hour days and still take a 20 mile bike ride at 16- 18 mph at the end of the day.

I eat a lot of veggies. Every day has about 5 cups spinach in it, along with celery, cucumber, avocado, some onion and green pepper, and romaine lettuce (literally plate-fulls). For desert, I have a cup of strawberries with 12 TBSP whipped cream on top (sugar free, of course). I limit my sugar substitutes to 3 packages, or the equivalent, each day.

So, to recap. In one month I have lost 21 pounds, have nearly gone off all diabetes meds and have sugars that hardly ever get above 100 (as opposed to the 180 - 320 I used to get in April). I feel great, exercise more (now that I have the energy). More importantly, my endo doctor approves of this diet, WHEN DONE CORRECTLY, and is absolutely amazed by the results.

I am wondering how this can be bad??

:heart: :drinker:
  • zazazik
    zazazik Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm starting my first week of this diet....it states to only eat 500-600 calories of protein the first week. I need to help with ideas for meals. I was told to not eat any carbs the first week as well. Is there a list I can go by or no carb recipes I can use for the first week?? I'm having a hard time finding NO carb recipes and a NO carb shopping list even.

I stick to under 18g total carbs a day and they almost all come from vegetables. You'll have to eat some carbs in order to have a balanced diet. Please read this as well for more info: http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

If I had absolutely nothing keto-friendly in my kitchen right now and was just starting, this is what I would buy:

Produce: Spinach (and other leafy greens like kale, lettuce, super greens), mushrooms, cucumber, celery, bell peppers, onion, avocado (high in carbs but also high in fiber and fat - if you are going to be eating more than 18g of carbs this would be a great source of fat, but I find it hard to fit in my day), broccoli, asparagus, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, spaghetti squash, zucchini, green beans. **Stay away from corn, potatoes, even carrots are kind of high-carb. Some of those veggies I listed have higher carbs but they also have high fiber.**

Meat: 85% lean grass-fed ground beef, chicken breasts (you can buy skin-on to raise the fat, but I prefer boneless/skinless), both pork and chicken sausage, pepperoni, salami, ham, bacon, liverwurst.

Cheese: Anything really. You can buy pre-shredded or a block and shred your own. Be sure to get full fat, not low fat cheese.

Dairy: Eggs, sour cream, cream cheese, butter, heavy cream

Other: Tuna, mayo, oils (olive, coconut or avocado), natural no sugar added nut butter (peanut, almond), almond or coconut flour, baking powder, almond milk, Stevia (it's a natural sweetener), hot sauce, unsweetened cocoa powder, red pepper flakes, sea salt, Italian seasoning.

ibreatheimhungry.com is my favorite low-carb blogger. She has wonderful recipes.

This is very very helpful - thank you so much - I started this week and plan on continuing - thanks again