Scale's Not Dropping!

Options
I've been at it this time around for about 6 weeks now. I started at about 217 lbs, dropped 5 lbs the first week, and I've been stuck at 212 ever since. I'm eating a net of around 1850 per day which is what MFP set me at to drop a pound a week, doing 3-4 days of 45 minute moderate intensity cardio and 2 days of weights per week. Last time around went from 220 down to 160 doing nothing but cardio 7 days a week and eating really lean, so I lost all my muscle with the fat. This time around I'm trying to either maintain or build while losing fat at the same time. I know it's practically impossible to build and lose at the same time, but I expected to see my weight dropping at least a pound a week. At first I thought maybe since I was building muscle, my weight could stay the same and I'd burn fat, but measurements for my hips and waist haven't budged the entire 6 weeks...wtf...

Any suggestions?

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I'd start logging your weekend intake, something is better than nothing.

Buy a food scale and weigh solids, measure liquids in measuring cups.
  • JoshDoesHVAC
    JoshDoesHVAC Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good idea. I get a little lazy about logging on the weekend. I don't go crazy, but I usually have 1-2 beers on Sat and I pick either Sat or Sun to bring my carb intake up about 20-30% to refeed. What's the goal behind weighing solids?
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options
    If you're taking general entries from mfp and eyeballing portions. It's highly likely you may be eating more than you think. Like 4 oz of chicken is a very small piece, avacado, peanut butter, etc are calorie dense and if you're eyeballing or using measuring cups you could be eating double what you may think (I'm bad about peanut butter my self)

I Was amazed when I invested in a digital food scale but it was really worth it in the long run to get an accurate count.

Weekends can definitely eat up a potential deficit. Which sucks because you work so hard for the whole week.

Curious what program you have for lifting?
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    What's the goal behind weighing solids?

Accuracy. Measuring solids in cups can be hugely inaccurate because of how they fit into the cup. A lot of people also don't use measuring cups/spoons correctly, in that they do not level whatever they're measuring. Something like a "medium apple" is also really imprecise. How big is "medium"? Even if you use one that says the supposed diameter of said "medium apple", it's not like all apples are completely round.

It's way faster and more accurate to use a scale. You don't have to scrape peanut butter out of a tablespoon, for example.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring calorie burns? MFP has been known to overestimate. If you're properly measuring your intake/portions, then maybe try eating back just 75% of those exercise calories?

It's easy to be eating several hundred calories more than you think from imprecise measuring. Some things, like peanutbutter and mayo, are really easy to measure incorrectly by volume, and the weight is what will give you the calories listed on the label. Other things just don't lend well to measuring by volume (try measuring out 2Tb of crutons!) It's just overall more accurate if you're weighing them, and if you're having trouble losing that's the first thing to check.
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    too many calories, try 1500
  • JoshDoesHVAC
    Options

Accuracy. Measuring solids in cups can be hugely inaccurate because of how they fit into the cup. A lot of people also don't use measuring cups/spoons correctly, in that they do not level whatever they're measuring. Something like a "medium apple" is also really imprecise. How big is "medium"? Even if you use one that says the supposed diameter of said "medium apple", it's not like all apples are completely round.

It's way faster and more accurate to use a scale. You don't have to scrape peanut butter out of a tablespoon, for example.

Makes sense. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    You're not going to be building muscle at your current intake, unless you're eating enough on those weekend days to put you in a weekly surplus. (Like, thousands more calories every weekend day). Brand-spanking untrained newbies can see minor muscle gains, but not pounds of muscle. Just for comparison's sake, I'm 5'4" and 128 lbs, and I had to go up to 2200 calories during my last bulk to see any gains.
  • JoshDoesHVAC
    Options

Really? I started down around 1450-1500 and had the same results with the only difference being my energy was way down...lifting sessions were hard because I already felt cooked. I figured I was eating too little and not dropping because of that.
  • JoshDoesHVAC
    Options
    You're not going to be building muscle at your current intake, unless you're eating enough on those weekend days to put you in a weekly surplus. (Like, thousands more calories every weekend day). Brand-spanking untrained newbies can see minor muscle gains, but not pounds of muscle. Just for comparison's sake, I'm 5'4" and 128 lbs, and I had to go up to 2200 calories during my last bulk to see any gains.

For now, I'd be happy not building muscle. I know to build seriously I need to be slamming 3000-3500 cals per day. At this point, what I really want to do is cut, burn a ton of fat, and maintain my existing muscle. Whenever I drop my food intake lower I feel too burned out to lift.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

Really? I started down around 1450-1500 and had the same results with the only difference being my energy was way down...lifting sessions were hard because I already felt cooked. I figured I was eating too little and not dropping because of that.
    Nope, there's no way you need to be at 1500. You're a 212 pound man. You don't need to be that low. 1850 is probably pretty good, as long as you're accurately calculating that 1850 (a food scale will really help here).
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options

For now, I'd be happy not building muscle. I know to build seriously I need to be slamming 3000-3500 cals per day. At this point, what I really want to do is cut, burn a ton of fat, and maintain my existing muscle. Whenever I drop my food intake lower I feel too burned out to lift.

Just reign in your weekends and get a food scale. Don't drop calories. See after a few weeks and judge from there. :D
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options

1500 is very low for a man, I would stick to your 1850. I think the issue is likely inaccurate measurement of your food and not logging on weekends. Try changing those before changing your calorie goal.
  • JoshDoesHVAC
    Options

Nope, there's no way you need to be at 1500. You're a 212 pound man. You don't need to be that low. 1850 is probably pretty good, as long as you're accurately calculating that 1850 (a food scale will really help here).

That's what I was hoping. I try to keep my 1850 lean too. Very little junk, mayo, or any of that. Trying to eat mostly lean protein, fruits, veggies, etc. The only thing I'm doing differently than last time when I had really good luck cutting is drinking quite a bit of coffee. I've heard that soy/dextrose/hydrogenated oil crap that goes into the Coffeemate can trigger the body to hold onto fat...might cut the coffee again.
  • JoshDoesHVAC
    Options

1500 is very low for a man, I would stick to your 1850. I think the issue is likely inaccurate measurement of your food and not logging on weekends. Try changing those before changing your calorie goal.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I'll actually log my food this weekend. Maybe it'll keep me from going after that second beer...lol
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I've been at it this time around for about 6 weeks now. I started at about 217 lbs, dropped 5 lbs the first week, and I've been stuck at 212 ever since. I'm eating a net of around 1850 per day which is what MFP set me at to drop a pound a week, doing 3-4 days of 45 minute moderate intensity cardio and 2 days of weights per week. Last time around went from 220 down to 160 doing nothing but cardio 7 days a week and eating really lean, so I lost all my muscle with the fat. This time around I'm trying to either maintain or build while losing fat at the same time. I know it's practically impossible to build and lose at the same time, but I expected to see my weight dropping at least a pound a week. At first I thought maybe since I was building muscle, my weight could stay the same and I'd burn fat, but measurements for my hips and waist haven't budged the entire 6 weeks...wtf...

Any suggestions?

are you logging EVERYTHING you eat?
    Are you weighing/measuring (on a food scale) everything you put in your mouth?

If not I would start there....

Kinda sounds like either
    1) You found your maintenance calories
    2) You are not weighing / measuring your food and have stumbled across your maintenance calories
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Why are you wanted to drop the scale?
  • JoshDoesHVAC
    Options
    Why are you wanted to drop the scale?

212 seems a bit heavy for a guy my size at 5'9". I guess it's not so much a weight issue as it is a bodyfat % issue. I'd be alright at 212 if it was a solid 212 instead of a jello 212. Not sure how to build while cutting at the same time though.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Any suggestions?

I will continue to say it, if your not losing eat less calories, lift and do cardio, when you get to your ideal weight then follow a plan to add muscle
  • JoshDoesHVAC
    Options

Any suggestions?

are you logging EVERYTHING you eat?
    Are you weighing/measuring (on a food scale) everything you put in your mouth?

If not I would start there....

Kinda sounds like either
    1) You found your maintenance calories
    2) You are not weighing / measuring your food and have stumbled across your maintenance calories

I have been logging everything with the exception of some fruit/yogurt late at night, but I always make sure I have the extra calories to do it..so even if it's not logged Im staying below my 1850. I was always under the assumption that calories weren't created equally and that eating lean, your calories could vary and you could still get results...so much for that idea.