Scale's Not Dropping!

Options
2»

Replies

• DAVIDTALIAFERRO
    Options
    Take a week off from the weights; recalibrate what you should be eating PORTION wise; (in the mean time if you dont mind, how tall are you now? how old are you? and what do yo weigh now? let me do some calculating and get back to you)
    ok?

david t. ;
  • JoshDoesHVAC
    JoshDoesHVAC Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I will continue to say it, if your not losing eat less calories, lift and do cardio, when you get to your ideal weight then follow a plan to add muscle
    [/quote]

How do you lift productively when eating such a low intake? I can't make it through decent sets when I eat much less...
  • JoshDoesHVAC
    Options
    Take a week off from the weights; recalibrate what you should be eating PORTION wise; (in the mean time if you dont mind, how tall are you now? how old are you? and what do yo weigh now? let me do some calculating and get back to you)
    ok?

david t. ;

I'm 30 and 5'9".. portion wise I try not to go crazy. I slowed my eating speed way down and stop well before I'm stuffed. Thanks for the help!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    too many calories, try 1500

Really? I started down around 1450-1500 and had the same results with the only difference being my energy was way down...lifting sessions were hard because I already felt cooked. I figured I was eating too little and not dropping because of that.
    Nope, there's no way you need to be at 1500. You're a 212 pound man. You don't need to be that low. 1850 is probably pretty good, as long as you're accurately calculating that 1850 (a food scale will really help here).

That's what I was hoping. I try to keep my 1850 lean too. Very little junk, mayo, or any of that. Trying to eat mostly lean protein, fruits, veggies, etc. The only thing I'm doing differently than last time when I had really good luck cutting is drinking quite a bit of coffee. I've heard that soy/dextrose/hydrogenated oil crap that goes into the Coffeemate can trigger the body to hold onto fat...might cut the coffee again.
    The bigger issue would be that Coffeemate can have a lot of calories and I'm not seeing it in your diary. Before you start cutting things out, I'd take a month and just fix your logging. Track anything and everything that you eat if it has calories. Drinks, food, a bite of this/that, everything. You can make adjustments later, but at this point, you'd pretty much be guessing. Plus, if you get your logging on point, you can continue to eat the things you like without sacrificing anything and still lose.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

I will continue to say it, if your not losing eat less calories, lift and do cardio, when you get to your ideal weight then follow a plan to add muscle
    [/quote]

How do you lift productively when eating such a low intake? I can't make it through decent sets when I eat much less...
    [/quote]

I lost 40 llbs but increased the weights i lifted, the bro science boys call it newbie gains, once i got to 170llbs i will now ignore the scales and proceed with waist measurements and lift heavier, i can adjust as needed now my weight is under control, being overweight can kill you, the size of your biceps wont, at your stage weight loss should be the priority
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    1. You're probably eating more than you think. Weigh solids and measure liquids. There are no "free" or "negative" foods, so log everything. Drinks, too.

2. Chances are you're not burning as much as you think when you exercise. MFP and gyms usually overestimate how much was burned, so be careful not to overeat when eating back exercise calories.

3. You will lose muscle with the fat. You can exercise and lift weights to minimize the loss, but it's going to happen. Find a good photo of what body fat percentage you'd like to be at. Once you get to that body fat percentage, THEN eat at a slight surplus and start lifting to build muscle. Before then your focus should be weight loss, not building muscle (yet).
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I've been at it this time around for about 6 weeks now. I started at about 217 lbs, dropped 5 lbs the first week, and I've been stuck at 212 ever since. I'm eating a net of around 1850 per day which is what MFP set me at to drop a pound a week, doing 3-4 days of 45 minute moderate intensity cardio and 2 days of weights per week. Last time around went from 220 down to 160 doing nothing but cardio 7 days a week and eating really lean, so I lost all my muscle with the fat. This time around I'm trying to either maintain or build while losing fat at the same time. I know it's practically impossible to build and lose at the same time, but I expected to see my weight dropping at least a pound a week. At first I thought maybe since I was building muscle, my weight could stay the same and I'd burn fat, but measurements for my hips and waist haven't budged the entire 6 weeks...wtf...

Any suggestions?

are you logging EVERYTHING you eat?
    Are you weighing/measuring (on a food scale) everything you put in your mouth?

If not I would start there....

Kinda sounds like either
    1) You found your maintenance calories
    2) You are not weighing / measuring your food and have stumbled across your maintenance calories

I have been logging everything with the exception of some fruit/yogurt late at night, but I always make sure I have the extra calories to do it..so even if it's not logged Im staying below my 1850. I was always under the assumption that calories weren't created equally and that eating lean, your calories could vary and you could still get results...so much for that idea.

Everything you put into your mouth. Log it. Weigh it. Measure it.

Somethings (like nuts) you may think are insignificant, but are actually very calorically dense.

Doesn't matter if you eat "lean" or "clean"
    Calories in vs. calories out.
  • JoshDoesHVAC
    Options

Really? I started down around 1450-1500 and had the same results with the only difference being my energy was way down...lifting sessions were hard because I already felt cooked. I figured I was eating too little and not dropping because of that.
    Nope, there's no way you need to be at 1500. You're a 212 pound man. You don't need to be that low. 1850 is probably pretty good, as long as you're accurately calculating that 1850 (a food scale will really help here).

That's what I was hoping. I try to keep my 1850 lean too. Very little junk, mayo, or any of that. Trying to eat mostly lean protein, fruits, veggies, etc. The only thing I'm doing differently than last time when I had really good luck cutting is drinking quite a bit of coffee. I've heard that soy/dextrose/hydrogenated oil crap that goes into the Coffeemate can trigger the body to hold onto fat...might cut the coffee again.
    The bigger issue would be that Coffeemate can have a lot of calories and I'm not seeing it in your diary. Before you start cutting things out, I'd take a month and just fix your logging. Track anything and everything that you eat if it has calories. Drinks, food, a bite of this/that, everything. You can make adjustments later, but at this point, you'd pretty much be guessing. Plus, if you get your logging on point, you can continue to eat the things you like without sacrificing anything and still lose.

Agreed. Time to start logging EVERY single thing that goes down. I've been thinking about cutting the coffee anyhow.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

I lost 40 llbs but increased the weights i lifted, the bro science boys call it newbie gains, once i got to 170llbs i will now ignore the scales and proceed with waist measurements and lift heavier, i can adjust as needed now my weight is under control, being overweight can kill you, the size of your biceps wont, at your stage weight loss should be the priority
    [/quote]

Just to be clear.

Exercise is not a requirement for a person to lose weight.
    I highly recommend doing exercise (of some sort), but it is not required to lose weight.

A caloric deficit IS REQUIRED to lose weight
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Just to be clear.

Exercise is not a requirement for a person to lose weight.
    I highly recommend doing exercise (of some sort), but it is not required to lose weight.

A caloric deficit IS REQUIRED to lose weight
    [/quote]

Thanks sherlock that is indeed breaking news
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,567 Member
    Options

Just do what I do: use real half and half in your coffee. 1tbsp per 8oz coffee is fine. This also helps me meet my fat macro :drinker: