Is Hummus good for dieting?

Options
Katybun3
Katybun3 Posts: 172
I was wondering if hummus would be good in helping me loose some weight. I've heard people say it's good but I'm not sure. Never tried it so don't know if it's tasty or not. Thanks in advance for any input :flowerforyou:

Replies

• sarahbear119
    sarahbear119 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It is very filling and has fiber, also yummy!
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I love hummus! But it's kind of expensive calorie-wise. Like equivalent to salad dressing. :-/ I used to eat a lot more of it before I tracked my calories.
  • lemzip
    lemzip Posts: 12
    Options
    Its very heavy on the calories, but it is very yummy ;D

I stay away from it while dieting
  • othersiderock
    othersiderock Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you make your own you can know exactly what goes into it and you can alter the calories. Add in a food processor 2 cans garbanzo beans, 1-2 cloves of garlic, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/8 tsp salt, and a tbsp of olive oil. To make it taste really great add tahini (1tbsp) which is sesame paste. If you're on a diet the tahini is a good thing to leave out because it's high in fat. Process for a few minutes. You can make different types but this is the most basic.

It's delicious and fresh :) I mean when you think about it you're just eating beans and a bit else. It makes a nice big amount.

*edit: Don't buy the sabra or whatever it's called in the store. It has the texture of butter and I believe that it's very fattening (not sure, I didn't like it) :/ The equipment they use to process it is used for margarine...not that that means that there is margarine in it, but it has the same consistency.
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have a bit of the reduced fat red pepper hummus with chilli rivita minis. Comes in at about 168 cals
  • saligator
    saligator Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    i think hummous is pretty good when dieting, i have it with raw veggies like carrot, cucumber, celery and peppers and i just dip them in and scoop a small bit of hummos with each bite. A whole tub of hummus is about 300 cals but that usually lasts me a week of snacking so it's not that bad at all really! especially when you consider all the nutrients you get from the raw veggies AND it's really filling so i don't tend to eat any other 'bad' snacks like crisps or chocolate. personally i think it's a really good option.
  • Simonscat
    Simonscat Posts: 249
    Options
    I love humous!
    Absolutely adore it. I used to eat a pot in one lunch sitting. Now I don't because I recently looked at the calories for 1/4 of a pot, it's massive!
    The high calories is due to the oil they put into it I think. However homemade humous is most likely healthier! Or stick to the small tubs...!
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    It's not just the oil. It's the garbanzo beans. They're like 70 calories for 1/4 a cup of them or 500 calories for a can. I made my own and it's something like 110 calories for 2 tablespoons. And since I can eat a cup of it because it's so yummy, it's a bad idea for me. I had to send a lot of it out with friends the last time I made it. :smile:
  • dzdame
    dzdame Posts: 89
    Options
    I think hummus is great with raw veggies, only way I can eat them, really..But, you do have to measure it out (2 T is about 60 cals) and put the tub back into the fridge..I lost 30lbs last year and ate hummus almost everyday...homemade is great, but if you don't have time to make it, Sabra hummus rocks! Chickpeas are healthy and I believe that the oil they use is the healthy kind..Try different flavors to see which ones you like..
  • dzdame
    dzdame Posts: 89
    Options
    Hummus is also great in wraps, with chicken, spinach and anything else you like..much better for you than mayo..
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Hummus is also great in wraps, with chicken, spinach and anything else you like..much better for you than mayo..

agreed. i use it in replace of mayo on my sandwiches :)
  • plozzy71
    plozzy71 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I buy the Sabra Garlic Hummus and it is 70 calories per 2 tablespoons. I love the stuff!
  • Berte12
    Options
    Hummus is very good... there are many different flavors.... dont know if they are good for dieting.... because I cant eat hummus without crackers
  • AmBriCo
    AmBriCo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hummus is great! It is high in cals but not all cals are created equal .. hummus is full of good fat and not the bad fat so it helps you in the long run :0)
  • sybiltoney
    sybiltoney Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I really like edamame hummus. 90 calories per 2 tbsp. Great on sandwiches, with pita bread, with veggies. If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they carry it.
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    I love it on sandwiches, especially with tomatoes, and its tasty and better than mayo, salas dressing or butter
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    I love it on sandwiches, especially with tomatoes, and its tasty and better than mayo, salas dressing or butter
  • jadee76
    jadee76 Posts: 29
    Options
    Absolutely love the wal-mart brand called "marketside". But the calories are a lot. I used to eat it as a dip, but now I use it as a substitute for butter or mayo (a tablespoon max!) The fiber is a plus :)
  • TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I love hummus because it is tasty by itself and with tons of other things! I prefer the Athenos brand with pita chips or veggies (cucumbers and tomatoes). It is a wonderful filling snack or lunch option. You should def try it :)
  • gemskii
    Options
    I love hummus and refuse to give it up, I buy the low fat and have a thin layer on a pitta bread with salad for my lunch at work. Its yummy!!!