Good bicycling & cardio habits?

Options
I'm really very new to bicycling and cardio, I've sat on my butt for most of my life, dangerous neighborhoods prevented going outside like normal children. I never really learned any good bicycling habits or walking, jogging or running habits.

A friend of mine had been coaching me in a way, telling me how to roll my foot when I run so I don't injure myself and so on, but that was a while ago and I've largely forgotten in a whirlwind of moving around and settling into a new place.

I was wondering if anybody had any good bicycling habits or walking habits (or tips!) to maintain so I don't cause shin splints (which have happened) or injuries to my feet or toes (which have also happened recently.) And to clarify, I mean biking with a bike up & downhill, not a stationary exercise machine. And EVEN STUFF THAT SEEMS LIKE COMMON SENSE WOULD HELP. I am totally clueless and I don't want any injuries.

Replies

• Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    For bicycling, here's some "common-sense" type tips for getting started:

1. Keep your bike in good condition. Lube the chain often, fill tires to recommended pressure. If you're not comfortable doing more than that mechanically, take it to a shop every so often for maintenance.

2. Does your bike have more than one gear? If so, learn to use them! Shift down when going uphill and before you stop at a stop light. Make sure to shift BEFORE it gets really hard to pedal or it won't work smoothly. Shift up whenever you start pedaling faster than is comfortable.

3. Put your seat higher. You want your toes to just barely touch the ground... that makes it easier to pedal efficiently. Also adjust your handlebars to a comfortable height.

4. A little every day is better than a lot all at once!

5. Don't do dumb stuff and hurt yourself. If you're not sure whether or not it's dumb... it probably is. I speak from MUCH experience on this :)

ETA you won't get shin splints from bicycling, and foot injuries are unlikely. Unless you're riding an awful lot, like hours a day, any injuries will probably be from crashing. Make sure cars can see you (use lights at night), stop at all traffic lights and stop signs, and in general be sensible & follow the rules. DO NOT RIDE ON THE SIDEWALK. Not only is it illegal, you will also get hit by people pulling out of driveways who don't expect you to be there.

It's not hard to be safe on a bike. I've been riding daily since I was a kid, and never gotten worse than a scraped knee. Just relax and let yourself enjoy it!
  • alexkirkp
    alexkirkp Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Loralrose has good points.

I would add:

Stay on the right side of the road.

Make sure you use hand signals to indicate turning when riding on a road. Left arm out for turning left and right arm out for turning right is best.

If you are going to be very far from home make sure you know how to change a flat and have the necessary tools with you.

For avoiding injury, keep in mind how both of your knees move when you pedal. They shouldn't move at all side to side as you pedal. If they do too much your bike might not fit you right, but usually it can be corrected by just practicing the right movement.
  • jnieuwerf
    jnieuwerf Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    - Keep your cadence high
    - Vary your rides, like one sprint, one interval and one endurance ride per week
    - I don't ride in a group, it is harder and you cannot draft behind someone, so it is only you
    - over time invest in a good bike (maybe start out with a second hand one)
    - Get your properly adjusted to your body. Everybody has different legs, arms and backs, so no one bike fit
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Useful info above - I bought a bike three months ago, so fairly new too .

If you're riding on the road, you need a helmet. Also, if you're not a steady rider, try starting when there are barely any cars on the road - I found it very unnerving to have cars flashing by; took a while to get used to it.

That puncture advice is such good advice too. I got one last week; luckily I was at home. I dread to think what would have happened if it had happened the weekend before (when I was over 20 miles from home, with zero tools)

Apart from the potential for crashing, the closest I have come to injury is "near cramp" from not drinking enough water, and "saddle fatigue/pain"; too long in a sitting position!

Have fun!
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Assume everybody hadn't seen you and ride for worste case so you're ready if a car pulls out in front or pedestrian walks out in front of you.

Be very wary of busses and taxis for some reason the hate cyclists?.

I never undertake lorries anywhere near junctions, not worth the risk to save a couple of minutes on your journey..
  • Fitdoge
    Fitdoge Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I have a bike that I would bet money it doesn't fit me. It was built from junkyard & roadside parts, but it moves, so I don't mind. The gears are stuck where they are and they don't seem to be fixable (I have been told so by 4 people, two of which are bike shop mechanics.) And if I move the seat it has this habit of breaking and having to be fiddled with for a while to get it fixed.
    I generally ride around private docks where there are pedestrians, children and dogs but no vehicles. I've learned that 90% of the time THEY will move out of the way of the bike speeding past them, but I'm prepared for that 10% that don't, and I slow down around dogs or other people so my reaction time is quicker.
    I will be riding multiple hours a day, but I do not have a reflector system (just one on the front of my bike, duck-taped on) so I avoid riding during the dark completely.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Something I learned through spin classes that has helped with my road riding is push through your heels. especially when the riding gets hard, don't push downward with your toes, but through your heels. it is unbelievable what a difference it can make.
    Remember to have fun and yes, smile at other riders and walkers...it makes everyone feel good. :)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I have a bike that I would bet money it doesn't fit me. It was built from junkyard & roadside parts, but it moves, so I don't mind. The gears are stuck where they are and they don't seem to be fixable (I have been told so by 4 people, two of which are bike shop mechanics.) And if I move the seat it has this habit of breaking and having to be fiddled with for a while to get it fixed.
    I generally ride around private docks where there are pedestrians, children and dogs but no vehicles. I've learned that 90% of the time THEY will move out of the way of the bike speeding past them, but I'm prepared for that 10% that don't, and I slow down around dogs or other people so my reaction time is quicker.
    I will be riding multiple hours a day, but I do not have a reflector system (just one on the front of my bike, duck-taped on) so I avoid riding during the dark completely.

If the frame is solid, the rest can be fixed one piece at a time which will make your rides easier and more enjoyable. The parts don't have to be Tour de France team ready ... just serviceable. If you know a couple of bike shop mechanics they might be able to guide you to finding the parts you need to fix things up at reasonable prices.
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options

Having only one gear makes it a lot simpler to ride. My bike is a one speed and does fine even in my hilly town... just gotta muscle up those hills ;)

For riding at twilight you still want some kind of lights (front and back)... not as critical if there's no cars around, but still a good idea. You can get some off of ebay for about $5 that are fine for what you need.
  • Fitdoge
    Fitdoge Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think the last question I could possibly ask you wonderfully informative folk is...my butt hurts a lot after I ride. SO MUCH. Last time I rode like this, hours a day, I would get on my bike and it felt like I was sitting directly on my pelvis. I had to stop riding for weeks because each time I tried putting my weight on my seat it would hurt just as bad as a week prior.
    I have a really narrow seat (but a butt that's not so narrow you know?) and I was wondering if the seat I have is fine (it's so old I don't even know anymore it was from a junkyard like I said) and I'm just not used to riding so often or if I need to get a wider or at least a newer seat.

Thank you all so much for your info! I rode for 3 hours today and it was wonderfully fun, and since I had some maintenance done on my bike (aired up the tires, since they were at 7 PSI instead of 49-60 O_O) and my brakes fixed I could ride SO much easier than I could before.
  • masterofnaps
    Options
    I got a great bike from Specialized a few weeks back and have been having a blast riding it. Mostly rides between 1-7 miles at a decent clip only hindered by stop lights and intersections to cross. The beach is such a great place to bike because it's all flat and you can just go forever! I encourage everyone to get out and ride a bike soon :) And also, wear a helmet!
  • tammyc226
    tammyc226 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I found that getting a newer seat and adjusting the handlebars to higher so that I was sitting more upright and towards the back of my seat eased most of the pain in the rear.
  • wjelly
    wjelly Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Wełcome to the world of cycling, some great advice from other members here. One thing I will say if you've been out on your bike for 3 hours then I'd expect your bum will be sore. See how you get on the aches may disappear after a week or two.

Happy cycling!
  • KettyLoyd
    Options
    To maximize the benefits achieved by cycling, consider these five tips:

1. Adjust your bike according to your height. Set the saddle to your hip level to ensure your knees are not bent or locked straight when peddling.
    2. Choose proper fitting shoes. Experts recommend stiff-soled fitness shoes rather than soft running sneakers. If you find that you enjoy cycling, you might consider investing in special cycling shoes that clip on to the bike's pedals.
    3. Always have a bottle of water. It's a good idea to bring a bottle of water to the gym and take frequent drinks while you ride. Indoor cycling offers a high intensity workout and most participants sweat profusely during the activity. Having water on hand will help you remain hydrated.
    4. Bring a towel. You will need it to wipe sweat from your body and the bike handles during your workout.
    5. Don't force yourself. Doing so may cause painful injuries.