Options

Replies

• SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    5jo7FnK.gif
  • Chibukalu908
    Options
    To lose weight no. To get fitter,healthier, and not end up looking like a smaller version of overweight self, yes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Lol:laugh: this
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options

However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."

Wrong.
    Due to neurological problems and a bad back ( 2 surgeries), I can't exercise.
    I lost all my weight through diet and have maintained my goal weight since November of 2011.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    To feel better.

It isn't really necessary for weight loss, but it sure as heck will make you feel better if done adequately and not excessively.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options

However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."

Wrong.
    I lost all my weight through diet and have maintained my goal weight since November of 2011.

Oooh. In your face. Good job, by the way.
  • cookieinbk82
    cookieinbk82 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

Wrong.

I'm sorry to hear about your health problems. Congratulations on successfully keeping the weight off all these years.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    5jo7FnK.gif

I love this. :drinker:
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    ... most people would have to eat an unhealthy amount of calories under 1200 and essentially starve themselves thin. (most likely leads to bingeing and gaining any lost weight back)
    Wrong.
    I'm maintaining on 1785.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight with diet alone, but it's almost impossible to maintain with diet alone. To do that you'd have to eat the same amount of calories 7 days a week, 365 days a year without fail. Because any increase in caloric intake (whether it be an extra beer, slice of pizza, slice of cake, etc..) would be a weight gain.
    it's really not impossible to maintain on diet alone. I've been doing so for over a year and a half.
  • cookieinbk82
    cookieinbk82 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight with diet alone, but it's almost impossible to maintain with diet alone. To do that you'd have to eat the same amount of calories 7 days a week, 365 days a year without fail. Because any increase in caloric intake (whether it be an extra beer, slice of pizza, slice of cake, etc..) would be a weight gain.
    it's really not impossible to maintain on diet alone. I've been doing so for over a year and a half.

Congratulations on your weight loss and maintenance. Do you do any type of excercise or just eat healthy?
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    It depends on whether you want to starve yourself for the rest of your life or not.

If you want to eat anything approaching a normal diet you need to exercise.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    If you don't have any physical limitations, then yes, you should do it!

Is exercise necessary to lose weight? Maybe not.

Is exercise necessary to live a healthy life? I'd have to argue for it. Exercise can reduce cholesterol, high blood pressure, and your risk of developing diabetes. It can also alleviate stress and help you sleep better. Weight training will increase muscle mass and help strengthen your bones. Yoga or other stretching exercises will help you maintain good balance and reduce your risk of falls. Aerobic exercise strengthens your heart.

I don't know, but I can't think of a good reason not to work out!:wink:
  • trogalicious
    Options

Congratulations on your weight loss and maintenance. Do you do any type of excercise or just eat healthy?
    I'll go out for a bike ride every now and then, or take a walk. It isn't anything regular. I just maintain my intake. I'm not so sure why this topic has come up so much lately. Was it on Dr.Oz or something?

It's math. To lose weight, you maintain a calorie deficit. You can either eat the same amount... or work out some and eat more, maintaining the difference.

Saying that working out is necessary or required to lose weight is like saying you have to have laces in your shoes tied a certain way in order to be able to run.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    It depends on whether you want to starve yourself for the rest of your life or not.

false.

I don't starve myself or eat "diet food." I just eat what I want, hit macro goals, and keep the calories in check.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options

false.

I don't starve myself or eat "diet food." I just eat what I want, hit macro goals, and keep the calories in check.

I'm scared of you. But not in a bad way.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    For me, no.
    Sure it helps and makes you feel better.
    I have lost 41 lbs and very minimal exercise.
    At age 56, I by no means consider myself "squishy" nor "rock hard" somewhere in the middle.
    If you are happy with looking in the mirror that's good for me.
    Bikinis , crop tops, etc are not on my must wear list at this point in my life. Lol
    I golf and swim occasionally.
    Yet when I wear a sleeveless top people have told me I look so fit.
    Works for me. :)
  • trogalicious
    Options

false.

I'm scared of you. But not in a bad way.

No need. I scare myself too. I just hate seeing absolutes thrown around here so much.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    If you like being squishy don't exercise.

LOL!
  • SAR1L
    SAR1L Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My problem with people who just diet rather than diet + exercise.
    They get skinny but they are still skinny fat. Which means sure
    they are thin, but everything still jiggles cause it has no tone.
  • corehawk
    corehawk Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    image.png