Spin instructor touched resistance

Options

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you really just blocked her hand or did what I think of as a swat (kind of a backhanded push away) I think she's being a big crybaby. I'd probably finish the gym contract, if there was one, and move on if that was the only way to avoid her.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    You should have kept your hands to yourself.
  • HouseOfMirth
    Options
    I wouldn't be so rude as to full on slap someone I don't really know on the hand. I think I'd only do that in an argument with my brothers when we were kids!
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I ride by myself at the gym all the time. I challenge myself more than the instructors challenge me. Are there spin bikes mixed into the cardio equipment? The routine is just in my head and I put a good playlist together.
  • HouseOfMirth
    Options
    Unfortunately not. The only spinning bikes are in the spinning suite.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Couldn't you just stop what you were doing and say "No, please don't touch that" firmly?

You both were wrong.
  • HouseOfMirth
    Options
    I, at least, apologised for what happened. The instructor didn't and gave me a right dressing down. It wasn't her place. I did as the manager had suggested - said sorry. I didn't receive a sorry or even a thank you for apologising.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I'm just imagining the OP's story as looking something like this.

cat-does-driveby-hit-on-dog-o.gif
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I, at least, apologised for what happened. The instructor didn't and gave me a right dressing down. It wasn't her place. I did as the manager had suggested - said sorry. I didn't receive a sorry or even a thank you for apologising.

Yes and you now have the option to be the bigger person or be the person that hits somebody else and gets mad when they don't apologize.

Choose wisely.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Unless your spin instructor was hitting you there was no reason to hit her. If she turned your resistance dial and you didn't like it, the proper response would be to turn it back and ask her not to do that again.

This^^^ Seriously, unless you are being physically assaulted it is NEVER okay to hit someone else. It doesn't matter what you choose to call it, be it "swat", "brushed off" etc., you hit someone else.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    If all you did was swat her hand away, I actually see this as a form of bullying on her part, and unfortunately an all too common sort these days where the bullies weapon of choice is the accusation of bullying. This is just my opinion, and know people tend to have charged opinions when it comes to situations like these, but the way I would look at it would be - would this have been a reasonable turn of events if it had been a female gym member that had swatted away the instructors hand ? I think the instructors reaction was both over the top and unprofessional, and can only wonder how many other gym members have found themselves recommended for membership cancellation..
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Some do if they think you are not working hard enough and if they know you. Meaning you've always taken her class and gotten to know her. I am shocked that she was so pissy though. I'm sure you didnt cold **** her hand or anything! People are so silly!
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    She pulled me out at the start and said she was "surprised she hadn't hit me back" and had asked for my membership to be revoked. I tried to explain that it was clearly a misunderstanding but was told that she didn't like my attitude and she viewed my general gym demeanour as being a bit of a bully.
    Let me guess, there are no other gyms that want your money?
  • doctorregenerated
    doctorregenerated Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I recommend putting in writing exactly what happened and submitting it to the gym office. They should have your statement on file in case this crazy person decides to take it any further.
  • doctorregenerated
    doctorregenerated Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Also, he was spinning. Probably with lights and music. Not exactly the easiest time to have a conversation. He'd probably have to scream "don't touch that!" Being all charged up and spinning, probably partially out of breath, I'm not surprised that his "Swat" was perceived as a "hit," Its the gym instructor's fault - she put herself in his personal space.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I expected the gym to side with the instructor. She works there, I'm just a client/customer. I did try to apologise but I didn't see why she had to have a go. I felt quite intimidated and like she wasn't listening to what I was saying.
    She's filling in for people all weekend so needless to say, I won't be going to spinning classes this weekend.

I have actively looked for alternative gyms as well but trying to find close ones that offer regular spinning classes isn't that easy.

You physically assault someone and then claim that you're the one being intimidated. Alrighty then. I'm sorry that you're being inconvenienced by having to travel further to a different gym where you haven't been asked to apologize for striking someone. The world's really unfair sometimes
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I'd mention to the gym that instructors should know some people have knee issues and need to be their own judge of what's appropriate. It's insulting to the participant to second guess their decision and it's potentially dangerous.

A lot of yoga studios will have the instructor ask your permission before manually adjusting your posture. People don't all want hands-on training.
  • ChunkLaFunk
    ChunkLaFunk Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Maybe switch to the cardio kick boxing class?

Seriously, that instructor has a bad attitude and doesn't like you got one up on her...lol. Being a bit of a bully but you still you got the swat in, not her. What a cry baby, going to management cuz you hit her hand? Come on now. That should have been settled after class with a conversation.

Go to class and pretend she isn't leading it, hopefully it's a big class. Couple of times and it'll all blow over.

She's trying to intimidate you. Don't let her do it.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    That's a tough call. I mean, I'm usually ok with a female fitness instructor touching my knob......
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Also, he was spinning. Probably with lights and music. Not exactly the easiest time to have a conversation. He'd probably have to scream "don't touch that!" Being all charged up and spinning, probably partially out of breath, I'm not surprised that his "Swat" was perceived as a "hit," Its the gym instructor's fault - she put herself in his personal space.

Wow, with everything all amped up like the way you describe I wonder what the likelihood is that a person would strike another person much harder than they meant to?

Nah, no chance of that at all. Best to stand your ground and insist that the person you hit had it coming. I totally agree.