Ooooooh curves!

Options
Hello,
I have been thinking of joining curves as I am shy and it seems pretty empty most of the time. Has anyone had any experiences with curves be it good or bad I would love to hear about it. Can you go more than once a day? Did it help you lose weight? I lost 70 so far and need to lose 30 more

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I don't like being negative usually...but given your age and photo I would say heck no. I am 37 and I would not be caught dead in Curves to be honest, most of the women I know who go there are WAY older than I am and the handful who are close to my age are just not my type to put it succinctly. Perhaps it's different in other areas but this is just what I have observed. My mom went a few years ago when Curves was really popular and she had similar problems even though she was the right age and all...basically the women there were more interested in gossiping and being seen and whining about their diets. Yuck.

ETA: My boss, another older lady, told me that she went to Curves for a year and liked it but the staff CONSTANTLY were trying to sell her accessory items and other products so she got upset about that and quit.

So basically it is all negative stuff I have heard and you can take it with a grain of salt. Hopefully other posters will have better experiences to share and firsthand advice. I'd imagine the best way to find out if it's for you would be to visit with a friend or for a free session if they offer something like that.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you find something more upbeat and entertaining.

Curves is mainly for people who are very sedentary and need to ease back into exercising. It's very, very low impact and honestly not that great of a workout. Plus, it's expensive and you can only go once a day. Many locations have already gone out of business. I was a member for awhile about 8-9 years ago (when I was in my early 20s). It was boring and they were constantly trying to sell me stuff. I transferred my membership to another location and it was the same thing there too.

Why not check out some local gyms for group classes you can attend? Maybe Zumba or Body Pump? Or, do some google or mfp research and come up with a plan you can take to a fitness center - weight lifting, cardio, etc.

Congrats on losing 70lbs! That's awesome!
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    You can only go once a day? What an odd rule.

I don't know much about it personally, although my mom went to one for a while. By all means you can check it out and see what you think, but don't buy a membership for a year or anything. It seems like it's a starting point for most people who *really* aren't used to any kind of exercise, at ALL.

We drove past one yesterday and we were amused by the sign they had: "Lose more weight than through diet alone!" In other words, "It's better than doing nothing!" Great work on that inspiring slogan, dudes.
  • i wanted to try because I am really shy and kind of assumed curves wouldn't be as packed.I used to go to the gym when I was well over 200 lbs and these three guys were making fun of me telling their friend " ohhh there is your kind of woman" I went to my cry and cried.
  • healthyfoxx
    healthyfoxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My very first gym was a knock-off version of Curves when I was 18. As others have said, it's mostly older women who are there for light exercise. Some brought their daughters who were my age. Some women really made great progress, and I found that the environment was very encouraging. I knew all the "regulars" and everyone was very sweet and nice. I think they are a pretty good starter gym if you are really intimidated by a regular gym (even Planet Fitness). I wouldn't go to a Curves anymore, but trying them out might give you the confidence to get a regular gym membership! :)

I loved the circuit training, and I also got great results from it. I'd get "are you crazy???" looks from the other women when I was on the elliptical, though, because I'd do 30 min at a fairly fast pace. I wasn't going THAT fast, but to the old ladies I was like a marathoner haha.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    i wanted to try because I am really shy and kind of assumed curves wouldn't be as packed.I used to go to the gym when I was well over 200 lbs and these three guys were making fun of me telling their friend " ohhh there is your kind of woman" I went to my cry and cried.

I'm sorry that happened. Sometimes people suck.

There's certainly no harm in trying it out and seeing what you think. And then if you build more self-confidence, you may find you'd like to try something more challenging. But I would still suggest that you don't get a year-long membership right away. I'm assuming they have some shorter terms available.
  • 321blueeyes
    321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with giving it a try to see if you like it - my mom used to go to one and she really liked it. However, she has always preferred women-only workout environments & likes the guidance of the circuit.

Any exercise that you enjoy & will consistently use... is great :smile:

I do think it's probably an older crowd (40s and up)... but you can always quit if you don't like it. Why not ask for a free 7-day (or 3-day) trial?