asthma

Options
I have exercise induced asthma. It is not easy for me to exercise and I only have an emergency inhalor so I dont like to use it all the time. I feel like the only exercise I can do is walking. Does anyone else have exercise induced asthma and/or know any exercises I could do that are Cardio that won't upset my asthma?

Replies

• bbhe
    bbhe Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I also have exercise induced asthma but I have managed to get a blackbelt in karate and a brown belt in jiujitsu and become a life long exerciser. The trick is to build up slowly so running doesn't feel like exercising to your lungs. I still can't workout in the cold, and I can't really "push" cardio, but I can workout! I also used acupuncture for years and it helped a lot.

GOOD LUCK! Don't let asthma stop you!
    bbhe
  • Simonscat
    Simonscat Posts: 249
    Options
    I have asthma which is set off my dust and exercise.
    I wheeze a lot when i run and exercise but I try not to blame my laziness on it. I used to be really bad, but now I'm fine and only stick to my reliever.

Try swimming! But slow swimming. There's walking at a really slow pace!

The more exercise you do the better your lungs will be!
  • kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I too have the same thing, and I'm a long distance runner. There are times when the air quality or the temps (below 20F) trigger pretty bad attacks, but I keep at it. I crossed the finish line at a race last weekend in a pretty dangerous situation, which was probably a bad idea, but getting into warm air and using my inhaler quickly rectified the situation.

The key is to build up slowly. But whatever you do, don't let it stop you. When it's cold and dry, take it inside. Warm, humid air will trigger it less. Your body will adjust, but it won't go away completely. I try not to use my inhaler unless it's an emergency because I hate how it makes me feel.

Exersice induced asthma is not an excuse, so don't use it as one, and don't let it discourage you. Just beat it...(to an extent), it can be done.
  • crissi66
    Options
    I have exercise induced asthma as well. I walk at 3.5mph on a 5 incline and try and add a jog/run in every 4-5 mins for about a minute. I can only do about 10 mins on the elliptical. i try to get about 30-40 mins of cardio in 4-5 times a week. at these paces i seem to have never had a problem. I also use my inhaller 5-10 mins before i begin my workout. If you ask your doctor he will tell you to use it before you begin any kind of cardio exercise. Hope this helps a little. I know that if people dont have asthma they can be clueless as to how painfull and scary a attack can be. :tongue:
  • MonsteRawr
    MonsteRawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I, too, have exercise induced asthma, and I run between 3-5 miles every day. For me, there are two big things to remember:

1) Start out slow. Your lungs will get stronger with time, if you don't try to push them too hard.

2) Listen to your body! When I run I make sure I always have my inhaler with me, and if I start to feel like I'm really hurting, I stop and walk. You want to challenge your body, but also don't want to put yourself in in potentially dangerous situation.

Your body and your mind are stronger than you think. Just take it slow, you'd be surprised with what you can accomplish!

Best of luck!
  • Shamrock40
    Options
    I also have exercise and allergy-induced asthma. I haven't tried running recently because I have a pretty bad heel spur that has become worse with the exercise I am doing. (Then there's the whole big tummy pooch I have that, when I do run, makes my lower back ACHE!) Anyway, I got an EA Sports Active program for our PS3, and it has lots of different types of exercises. I do a lot of cardio and crunches, and all that good stuff, with shorts spurts of running thrown in. I think, for me personally, it definitely helps when I exercise indoors, it helps to not exacerbate things.

I agree with using your inhaler first, and then a gradual build-up of running-type exercises. If you walk on a treadmill, try running for 30 seconds every 2 or three minutes. Or even if you can't jog or run, try walking really fast and then slow down. Intervals like that usually help burn calories a little faster, too.

Try not to let it stop you.
  • braidensmommy
    Options
    I too have the same thing, and I'm a long distance runner. There are times when the air quality or the temps (below 20F) trigger pretty bad attacks, but I keep at it. I crossed the finish line at a race last weekend in a pretty dangerous situation, which was probably a bad idea, but getting into warm air and using my inhaler quickly rectified the situation.

The key is to build up slowly. But whatever you do, don't let it stop you. When it's cold and dry, take it inside. Warm, humid air will trigger it less. Your body will adjust, but it won't go away completely. I try not to use my inhaler unless it's an emergency because I hate how it makes me feel.

Exersice induced asthma is not an excuse, so don't use it as one, and don't let it discourage you. Just beat it...(to an extent), it can be done.

Thank you for the advice, but I'm not using it as an excuse. I dont need to make excuses for anyone on this website I wouldnt bother. I'm obviously asking for advice because I want to exercise and I have to exercise but find it difficult and that's why I asked. Not because I need to give u guys a reason/excuse for not exercising because I dont.
  • braidensmommy
    Options
    the above comment was for that specific person...not anyone else. I appreciate everyones helpful advice I was just irritated that the quoted person took my question for advice and turned it into an excuse.
  • matina29
    matina29 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have chronic Asthma. It's not exactly exercise induced but if I am symptomatic it will escalate if I exercise. I have a Wii and the Wii Advanced step burns calories and does not stress my lungs when I am symptomatic. It's a steady pace of stepping up and down. Walking up and down stairs at a steady pace is good too with breaks. Good Luck!