serious dark chocolate craving!!!

Options
i'm at work, have 2 more hours to go, had lunch two hours ago, and am suffering from the WORSE dark chocolate craving. i love that bitter, semi-sweet organic stuff. i'm sipping on my green tea hoping the craving will miraculously dissapear. this must be an indication that i'm deficient in something?? ive been thinking about this since lunch time. i already consumed lots of sugar from my fruit today and the general foods that just have a bit of sugar. HOW DOES ONE STOP THIS??? water and tea are NOT helping out at all

Replies

• vickster82
    vickster82 Posts: 108
    Options
    i'm at work, have 2 more hours to go, had lunch two hours ago, and am suffering from the WORSE dark chocolate craving. i love that bitter, semi-sweet organic stuff. i'm sipping on my green tea hoping the craving will miraculously dissapear. this must be an indication that i'm deficient in something?? ive been thinking about this since lunch time. i already consumed lots of sugar from my fruit today and the general foods that just have a bit of sugar. HOW DOES ONE STOP THIS??? water and tea are NOT helping out at all
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I like hershey's dark kisses. One is 22 calories. I also will get really dark chocolate and eat a tiny bit. The more bitter it is, the less you need to satisfy that extreme craving. Now, if you don't think you can eat just one tiny bit or piece and stick it far out of your reach in the back of a drawer somewhere - then don't do it and try coffee.

Also, sometimes you just need it. If I REALLY REALLY need it. I eat it and log on here and figure out what to do to burn it - long walk etc. Good luck! :drinker:
  • mknipp
    mknipp Posts: 106
    Options

Baby, I know that feeling! That's why I keep a supply of those 35-calorie Blue Bunny Sweet Freedom Fudge Lites. Tastes great, nice and cool, and you can even eat 2 and only have 70 cals :happy:

That green tea is great. Oh, sometimes that green tea gum will take away the cravings for me. :noway:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    So go eat a piece of chocolate. When you feel deprived, that isn't going to help you to crave it for days. So instead of eating two, make your goal to eat one. Does this make sense and sound reasonable? Maybe you are low on iron or could it be "that" time of the month for you? Or maybe you just wanted some chocolate! :laugh: :wink:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Oh!!! These are great to keep around too if you HAVE to have one. They come in a variety of flavors, dark chocolate, light chocolate, raspberry chocolate, mint chocolate...YUM! But there is a drawback if you eat more than four or so... :huh: :blushing:

41wLDBs6BUL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
  • 612gemini
    Options
    I am a dark chocolate junkie as well, I usually satisfy my craving with a York peppermint patty, only 140 calories in either a full size bar or 3 minis.
  • keepnfaith
    keepnfaith Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    How about getting a bar of the 70% cocao, break it up, figure out the caloric content etc. then just take a piece with you to work in a small baggie, stuff it in your drawer eat it when you have that awful craving and replenish as needed. Hope it works for you
    keepnfaith
    88222.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I found dark choc truffles in a tin by the check out at the supermarket. I keep it in my bedside table and allowed myself 1 each nite. after a few weeks, i forgot about them. Now when I HAVE to have choc I grab one and then ......step a-way from the chocolate!

Last night I wanted peanut butter. Fought the craving and finally fell asleep. This morning I almost dove into the peanut butter jar. Before I realized what i was doing I had about 2 tablespoons on each peice of oatmeal toast. Yikes! I scraped it off, but the old me would have gorged on the whole thing, about 500 cals.

Point is, sometimes you have to feed the craving.

I have tried lemon water when I wanted dessert, and it curbed my craving.

Good luck!
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    What a great idea! I'm going to try making individual portions for more than just dark chocolate! Thanks. This is my first day on this website and I'm feeling encouraged.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    well, if you gotta do chocolate, the darker the better. Dark chocolate has antioxidents, which are good, they KILL free radicles in the blood. Still not a great food, but much better then milk chocolate. If you can get away with under 100 calories, it isn't really that big of a deal.
  • vickster82
    vickster82 Posts: 108
    Options
    well i found some ghirardelli dark chocolate squares, 60% cocoa. i had two squares. now i'm happy! they are high in iron and i'm anemic, so that might explain the cravings. i don't like milk chocolate too much, the darker the better! thanks for the all the help guys!:tongue:
  • sheristeele
    Options
    Dark chocolate in moderation is actually very healthy. There are studies that show that if you eat one small square several times a week, it will actually help prevent heart attacks (and possibly even strokes):smile: So, indulge occasionally. :flowerforyou:
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    well i found some ghirardelli dark chocolate squares, 60% cocoa. i had two squares. now i'm happy! they are high in iron and i'm anemic, so that might explain the cravings. i don't like milk chocolate too much, the darker the better! thanks for the all the help guys!:tongue:

Seeds of Change makes some fabulous varieties of dark chocolate (which I also love - the darker, the better!!) I just picked up some Mango-Cashew dark chocolate in SF last weekend. I've also tried spicy dark chocolate with cinnamon and chilies - woweeeee! I MUST have my dark chocolate everyday (just a square....) :bigsmile:
  • JennyGetsFitness
    Options
    not to go against everybody's grain, but to same effect, I remember reading seemingly endless article in New York Times Magazine that basically said - there is no anti-oxidants in chocolate due to processing.
    When I indulge in a piece of chocolate I am fully aware it is empty calories.
    I will not dwell on how good it feels because I will force me to buy a piece, for sure. I am better off with fruit to kill off the rare sugar cravings...
  • angelajiniel
    Options
    Glad you found some! If you find another way to beat a dark chocolate craving, please let me know. It is my downfall. I can say no to almost any sweet, other than the dark stuff, the darker the better :) I keep a jar of individually wrapped ones at my desk, and every once in a while I have one. Junior mints and york patties are both good at satisfying the craving for me too.