1 Day of Going Over Calories A LOT

Options
So i was logging all the food i planned on eating today between football and nascar, and the calories were pretty high.

I've heard before that overeating takes a few days of consistent high calories to make a difference, and 1 day of excess calories wont all go to fat stores some will essentially just pass right through as your body can only do so much during digestion.

Was wondering if anyone else has experience with a day of gluttony (and i mean EXCESSIVE not like 1000 over) and what thoughts were on the effect of it...

Diary is open if anyone wants an idea of the overage im talking about too...

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well, you'll probably gain two pounds from it, honestly. In my experience, the 'one day won't make you fat' thing is a bunch of BS, it's taken me 2 weeks before to lose the extra weight from one day of eating only 2000 calories over my goal...

So um, let us know? Awesome job with logging though! That's when I'm glad I don't drink.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Yes, I had this yesterday. I just started OMAD, and unfortunately yesterday I went waaaaaaayyyyy over on my one meal a day.. 5 slices of Papa John's pizza. I don't know what damage it will do and if I think about the damage it will do it will hurt my forward progress.. so I'm chalking it up as a lesson learned and moving on.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Good job on the bulking. You're killing it.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    One day over, no matter how much over, means nothing long term. Yes, with that overage, you'll gain some fat, and a lot of water weight. Nothing going back on a deficit won't fix.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Almost 9000 calories over??? WOW! :noway: I'm at a loss... :huh:
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Are you eating 3500 calories above maintenance today? If yes, you're likely to put on an lb of fat. If no, you're likely to put on water weight.

It really depends, honestly. I eat at a deficit to lose about 1lb a week, so I've had the odd day where I went way over and then spent the next week trying to get down to the weight I was pre-crazy day. I've also eaten like 1000 calories over my maitenence, stepped on the scale the next day and lost like half a lb.

It depends on your body, it's needs, how long you've been under eating, if you typically at least eat to your BMR, the sodium and fat contents of the food, how much water you drank, etc.

Basically, if you're okay with the scale stalling for a week or so while you get rid of either the fat or water weight, go for it. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Or, re-work today so that you'll have healthier choices on hand. Really, it's up to you.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Relax. Enjoy your day. You may see an increase if you weigh yourself....so don't. It will be water weight due to all the added sodium anyways. In the long run 1 day does not make or break anything in life. It all evens out, so stop over thinking it and have fun.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Sorry... I'm still amazed! LOL!

I just looked again at your diary today and what stands out the most to me is that in that 11,000 calories there are only 180 grams of protein... Talk about empty calories.

So to answer your question. Yes. I think you can expect some fat gain from today's gorge. And a couple of weeks to get back on track from it as well... :drinker:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It really depends, honestly. I eat at a deficit to lose about 1lb a week, so I've had the odd day where I went way over and then spent the next week trying to get down to the weight I was pre-crazy day. I've also eaten like 1000 calories over my maitenence, stepped on the scale the next day and lost like half a lb.

But it means you probably lost less that week than you would have otherwise.

The effect isn't immediate (short of water weight). You won't turn 9000 calories in fat overnight. It will take a few days.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Sorry... I'm still amazed! LOL!

I just looked again at your diary today and what stands out the most to me is that in that 11,000 calories there are only 180 grams of protein... Talk about empty calories.

So to answer your question. Yes. I think you can expect some fat gain from today's gorge. And a couple of weeks to get back on track from it as well... :drinker:

The low protein gets me too, but i am making sure to get a min of 1g/lb lbm. I would like to get to 1.5, but dont wanna drink shakes just to add calories, as there are plenty already.

And drinker i am, at least some of the beer has protein too, thats why miller lite is my fav actually!
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I don't think he's trolling... so he drank a bunch of beer and then ate 20 cookies. This probably happens a lot more than people admit.
    Anyway ,OP, I don't know the effect this will have on your weight this week, but I do know that you should NOT use this as an excuse to fall off the wagon or just start over on Monday, etc. You did a great job logging and owning up to your setback. Now put it behind you and move on.
  • inciteme
    inciteme Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Everything depends on which came first, the beer or the Apple-ritas :)
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    please be a joke.

you shouldn't PLAN ahead of time to have 28 alcoholic beverages in one day. :huh:

and if you're really worried about it, why PLAN to eat 20 cookies? log 6 or 8 and make yourself stick to it, and 8-12 drinks if you must, but not 28!

There are plenty of places where you could still enjoy the foods you logged while cutting the calories in half.

I can shenanigans lol
  • longtimeterp
    Options

The effect isn't immediate (short of water weight). You won't turn 9000 calories in fat overnight. It will take a few days.

i'm planning on the next two days being in a deficit, and going on a long run tomorrow, as well as a couple sessions of cardio mon. Hoping this will help with the damage!
  • 365andstillalive
    Options

I wasn't saying that it doesn't affect you, I was just saying that even one persons body can react differently to over-eating, so really it's a guessing game how his would react.

I didn't realize we were talking about an 11000 calorie day; yes OP, you are going to put on weight (fat) from that, and depending on the type of deficit you create, it's likely to take you a week or two to get back to the weight you last weighed in at before you'll be able to progress forward.
  • longtimeterp
    Options
    Everything depends on which came first, the beer or the Apple-ritas :)

Well the times won't be accurate, i was just grouping everything last night when i pre-logged. As for the appleritas, one will start the football game, and one will start the nascar race, with miller lites filling the voids between
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I don't think he's trolling... so he drank a bunch of beer and then ate 20 cookies. This probably happens a lot more than people admit.
    Anyway ,OP, I don't know the effect this will have on your weight this week, but I do know that you should NOT use this as an excuse to fall off the wagon or just start over on Monday, etc. You did a great job logging and owning up to your setback. Now put it behind you and move on.

he didn't eat it. it's pre-logged as a plan for later today.

he's not "owning up to a setback", it is planned and intentional.
  • longtimeterp
    Options
    please be a joke.

you shouldn't PLAN ahead of time to have 28 alcoholic beverages in one day. :huh:

and if you're really worried about it, why PLAN to eat 20 cookies? log 6 or 8 and make yourself stick to it, and 8-12 drinks if you must, but not 28!

There are plenty of places where you could still enjoy the foods you logged while cutting the calories in half.

I can shenanigans lol

while i might end up having a few less cookies, i am just going by past experience knowing i get drunk and have cookies avalable is a bad thing, but the cookies will be here, and they already look soooo good.

As for the alcohol, that's possibly an underestimate, sadly when i drink, i dont do it for a buzz, i do it knowing i will wake up tomorrow and be like whoa what happened last night!
  • 365andstillalive
    Options
    please be a joke.

I can shenanigans lol

while i might end up having a few less cookies, i am just going by past experience knowing i get drunk and have cookies avalable is a bad thing, but the cookies will be here, and they already look soooo good.

As for the alcohol, that's possibly an underestimate, sadly when i drink, i dont do it for a buzz, i do it knowing i will wake up tomorrow and be like whoa what happened last night!

If you're planning on getting black out drunk, I think we can both agree that your run tomorrow is not going to happen.

Your day just makes me worry that you haven't developed a sustainable, healthy relationship with food during this process. There are plenty of cuts to your day that you could make that would allow you to not be going over your goal by 9000 calories.

Realistically, you could get (responsibly) drunk on far less alcohol than you're planning to consume. You could exert some self control and maybe skip something like the 700 or so calories in sauces you're planning for your lunch, or order something else at the other restaurant that's not going to include something like two FULL avocados which are obviously high in calories and not really a healthy serving of. Instead of planning to have multiple snacks (20 cookies, raisonettes etc) give yourself a reasonable limit for even drunk you to abide by.

I know that this is special event of sorts, but this is going to impact your journey and doing this even once a month for the rest of your life could keep you at your current weight. Even if you don't change it for today, maybe consider in the future how to stop a cheat day like this from snowballing to the point that it could impact your entire months worth of weight loss.

Obviously, your body, your decisions, just trying to point out that you could be a lot closer to your calorie goal today if you actually wanted to be.