Antidepressants

Options
2»

Replies

• mamaoftwins9197
    mamaoftwins9197 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I was on Wellbutrin for years and I didn't have any weight gain with it. It worked wonders for a long time. I guess it eventually stopped working for me and I switched to Lexapro last year. I started it and the depo shot around the same time and put on 25 pounds in just a few months. Don't know which was the culprit or if it was a combination. I LOVE what Lexapro does for my depression and anger issues though and I enjoy not being pregnant, so the weight gain was worth it to me. I would give the Wellbutrin a try.
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I have been on almost every antidepressant in the book.

Currently, I am taking both Pristiq and generic Wellbutrin together and I have had zero weight gain side effects. In fact, in the past 80+ days I've lost 36 pounds. :bigsmile:

I also went through ALOT of therapy to help me deal with the root of my depression. I am pretty sure you said you are seeing a therapist. Don't stop that just because you start taking an antidepressant. I don't believe in miracle pills either, but I definitely feel better and I can tell when I don't take my meds.

Keep doing what you are doing, I promise it can get better for you. :heart:
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor. Listen to them.

But also listen to me... Paxil and Effexor are pretty much the devil's nectar. So hard to get OFF of. Be very careful and very well informed with whatever you decide to do. And good luck! Depression is horrific.

I've been on both. I'm on Effexor now and I have no issues when my dose is changed. Antidepressants affect each individual differently so saying one or two is the devil's nectar is just wrong. I'm sorry you had issues coming off of them but maybe that had something to do with your doctor and not the pills.
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the encouragement! It makes me feel great to hear how many people really benefited from their treatment!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I have been on too many antidepressants to count. The only one I've ever had weight gain issues with is Elavil (sp?) but that's why they put me on it. It's a really old one and hardly ever used anymore though.

Many of the newer ones do not have the same weight gain side effects, people just like to blame the pills. At least I was like that when I ate myself up to 236lbs after I was diagnosed bipolar II a few years ago. But then I sat down and realized it was the night after night of large pizzas, 18 wings with fries, two large subs, mozzarella sticks, two pints of ice cream at a time, etc.

That's why you should continue with your counselor in addition to an antidepressant. Once you get your mental health on track weight loss is a piece of cake.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I've been on everything under the sun- Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Sarafem, Pristiq, Lexapro, Celexa, Wellbutrin, Paxil, Effexor XR, Depakote along with some Xanax, Klonopin, and Ativan. Over 18 years, they've had me on everything under the sun. The first time I came off of Effexor XR, yeah, it wasn't pleasant. I didn't detox correctly. The second time, right before I had my daughter, it was a breeze. This isn't a drug you can just STOP taking. You have to step down period (with the 37.5), usually combined with a lower dosage of another anitdepressant- such as Prozac. Within a month, I was completely detoxed from it all with zero withdraw symptoms. The only drug I had a severe reaction to was Depakote. I ended up in the ER with it. It was a very, very wicked drug for me, but I know it has helped many others.

I am now on Effexor XR and Topamax. I have really good results with both, and as far as weight issues go, neither caused weight gain.

The biggest thing I'd suggest is talk to your doctor. I don't know what your official diagnosis is, and I know that certain drugs work better for certain people. Even though Depakote is a drug that is commonly given to those who are struggling with Bipolar/Borderline, it messed me up horribly, and had I continued taking it, ultimately, I would've most likely ended up dead. You just don't know until you take them. It's trial and error. I've taken so many that didn't do anything. Lexapro made me extremely mean. Celexa made me cry all the time. Paxil made me incontinent. High doses of Effexor XR made me depressed, while the lower dose (75mgs) level me out correctly. It's hard finding the right combination, so if you are able to find something that works well for you, not saying it's a *bad* thing to try out something new, because you may find something better, but it may take some trial and error along the way.
  • losingforgood120
    Options
    I was put on a generic to zoloft after one doctor visit in which I cried and said I'd not been sleeping well for a week. (I think that was pretty extreme- straight to the drugs! No counseling first! But I was young and just did what the doctor said.)
    I was at a healthy weight when I started taking it and quickly lost a lot of weight- became underweight- due to nausea and no appetite. They tried lowering my dosage and told me to drink ensure but I just kept dropping weight so the doctor switched me to lexapro. I gained back the weight I lost and then some. I still had lots of unwanted side effects so after trying for a few months I decided to stop taking it and just go to counseling. Which worked out for me. I wish I had done that in the first place.

Antidepressants seem to help some people- for me they were just really hard on my system, even at small doses. I can't say if they helped me because making me underweight was so detrimental.. it was hard to tell. I felt like lexapro was "better" because it didn't make me feel horribly nauseated. I'd rather be overweight than underweight! Being underweight was the worst I've ever felt- no energy!

My case was a bit extreme- I hope you find something that works for you. Mental health first and then you can figure out the weight thing. :flowerforyou: Good luck!
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I take citalopram, has changed my life as was really struggling with depression and anxiety, In terms of weight loss it actually suppresses my appetite and im never hungry so has not stopped me losing weight!
  • Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Antidepressants are killing my appetite. I'm on Zoloft and I don't feel hungry or full, ever. I'm trying to log to make sure that I'm actually eating enough, and eating the right things. Good luck, there seems to be a huge variance in the side effects of these drugs. Celexa made me lose my appetite as well. I have about ten more pounds to lose but I intend for that loss to be purposeful and healthy rather than something caused by me neglecting myself, so I'm focused on maintenance for the moment.
  • rheamunroe
    rheamunroe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My doctor was reviewing my medications in relation to weight gain and he said the only one that I was on that doesn't cause weight gain is wellbutrin and I super trust my doctor, so I'd say it's worth a shot (it's also really cheap so that's an added bonus!)
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Some antidepressants cause an increase in appetite and many people who have no appetite while depressed suddenly find themselves ravenously hungry once they begin to medicate their depression. This is the reason people think antidepressants cause weight gain. The medication itself will not cause you to pack on the pounds, unless for some reason your body reacts to it by retaining water, and even then it won't add inches. As long as you're tracking your caloric intake and not going over your goals, you shouldn't gain weight from an antidepressant.
  • kimberly_smith718
    Options
    I've tried probably 15 antidepressants since I was diagnosed 20 years ago. PLEASE TALK WITH YOUR DOCTOR! Meds react differently for different people. If one medication doesn't make Person A gain weight, it may for Person B. There are brand new meds out there now (I'm on one called Brintellix) that can also help. Inform yourself before you decide to tell your doctor what meds you want to be on. Trust the doctor. I've been hospitalized once (from my own volition) and have been suicidal. I also suffer from my anxiety. Good luck!
  • jacksonkm2001
    jacksonkm2001 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Antidepressants are killing my appetite. I'm on Zoloft and I don't feel hungry or full, ever. I'm trying to log to make sure that I'm actually eating enough, and eating the right things.

Sertraline has had the same effect on me. I just simply don't have the same compulsion to eat as before and I am also trying to make sure that I eat enough. Amazing how they affect in such different ways. I put on with fluoxetine.
  • roeroe5
    roeroe5 Posts: 27
    Options
    Wellbutrin is the best i've been on. Doesn't give me that horrid munchies, great meds in general, BUT it's not for everyone. If you are a compulsive or emotional eater it does help with compulsion and the anxiety that goes with it. Takes a while to kick in for depression.
  • elephant2mouse
    elephant2mouse Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I'm on Lamotrigine (Lamictal) and so far it hasn't affected my weight either way.
  • justamyagain
    justamyagain Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    After being diagnosed with Panic Disorder 22 years ago I've been on too many medications to count. Different meds work differently for different people. And can work differently at different times in your life. For example, Prozac worked wonderfully for me years ago (no side effects), but horribly for me last year. I am currently on Effexor Xr and Klonopin, and it seems to be a good match for me. The Klonopin is actually suppressing my appetite, so that's an added bonus. When first diagnosed I did gain a lot of weight on the meds, but my mental health had to be my focus. I am much more cautious about weight gain now, but I also work very closely with my doctor. Good luck, and feel free to message me if you have any questions.
  • michaelachallis
    michaelachallis Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have never gained weight on anti-depressants, if anything it lead to me loosing because i could actually get out of bed and do things in life.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I'm currently taking Zoloft, and I'm ready to change. I'm so sick of the nightmares, and horrid stupid dreams. One cannot surely get a good nights sleep when dreaming that oddly!!! It also doesn't seem to control my anxiety highs. But as far as weight, I can't say that its affected it one way or the other for sure. I can tell you that I've busted my butt up until about 2 weeks ago, with a 5lb loss...some would say it was water weight I say it's the only 5lbs I've ever lost in my life on my own. Idk.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    And also I have to say this outpouring of people sharing experiences, thank you.... just really. I've questioned too many times whether I should be able to handle this myself. So thank you to OP for even posting it.