emotional eating sucks !!

Options
:( I just came back from the hospital from seeing my mum and it just rfjoqihiowgh i cant explain the feelings but the worse thing is

iv bin good on food all day watched what iv eaten , got told my mum has to stay in hospital for a week and i ended up eating a tub of ben and jerrys thing was i didn't even enjoy it i feel sick now and so guilty over it ..

HOW can you conquer the emotional eating part of the brain .. anyone got any advice on how to deal with emotional eating like a zombie

my least 2 favorite men at the moment are ben and jerry <_<

Replies

• floweredsteel
    floweredsteel Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. This last month my mom went in for surgery and then I took care of her for a week. I've been eating high-sugar and high-fat foods like a mad woman.

I don't have any good advice on how to beat the emotional eating. I think, if it's limited to these occasional, highly emotional situations it can be therapeutic. Just try to get back on the healthy eating as quickly as you can and don't beat yourself up worse for the cheat foods.

But, if we do it all the time to deal with everyday stresses that's bad. They say exercise is a good way to get stress beaten. I've had limited success with this. Hanging out with friends also helps, especially if you're doing an activity that doesn't involve mindless eating of snacks set in front of you.

In any case, I hope your mum gets better very soon. Lots of hugs.
  • Rebecca11161
    Options
    In the past two days I've eaten a block of Gouda, 2 entire cans of condensed milk, 2 bags chocolate chips, a tub of potato salad, and I've baked 3 pans of various kinda of brownies and bars and eaten it all by myself. I've had a rough few days, I feel like I've lost control of my life. I really need some help. How can I make this okay?
  • kamelew
    kamelew Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise? I think that getting yourself up to an hour per day of exercise is the best remedy for emotional eating. There are so many studies showing how exercise can help with depression and anxiety. When feeling stressed, going for a long or fast walk will really really help- and it will definitely cut down on binge eating.
  • aethre
    aethre Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm having a tough time just now. My grandmother is expecting surgery next week.... I also have a lot of insecurity over my job (took redundancy, current temp job ends in 3 weeks), my relationship (he needs to move ten hours away, I don't know if I want to follow), and my mum (who is very stressed due to her mum being ill and taking it out on us). There's also some serious issues in my extended family involving the ongoing care of a profoundly autistic family member.

I've been keeping it under control mostly, but today's been a dead loss... and I didn't even eat the marzipan chocolate bar that I bought. I'm just sad, and angry.... I know food's not going to fix that, but it's so difficult to make sensible, reasoned decisions around meals when your brain feels like it's collapsing in on itself. :frown:

I spent a couple of hours in the gym this morning - a Body Balance class, nice and calming, and then some time with the machines and weights afterwards. I also had a great chat with somebody in the gym. I did feel better for it... it all went to hell later when I met up with a friend and cried on them for a bit and then cakes happened.... but I guess I'm not going to win every battle. It sounds pathetic, but food can be such a comforting thing. And I'm not talking chicken salad. :grumble:
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    It happens to the majority of humans, I think. It is a human thing. If not food, it is cigarettes or drink or shopping sprees.
    We do not like experiencing those strong and scary emotions, I guess.
    If it is not a regular feature of your life, and the rest of your diet is healthy, I honestly would not worry about the occasional emotionally driven Ben And Jerry's splurge.
  • franckh2
    Options
    I really feel for you all. Dealing with family going through that stuff really really sucks. I'm kind of with the "don't worry about it as long as it's limited" people... and more importantly, not beating yourself up about it. If you stress yourself out more by telling yourself you failed it will make it worse and you'll be more likely to do it again. I've been depressed for a long time so I've done my share of comfort eating and blaming, and eating some more. Not a great cycle to get into.

If you honestly think it's a problem and don't feel ok to do limited amounts, the best thing you can do in my opinion is find other coping mechanisms. That comfort eating is filling a VERY important function for you at that time and you can't get rid of it without replacing it with something else.

Excerise, as suggested, is a good one, but one of the hardest. It feels great once you get up and go but is sooo hard to get there. You could try replacing comfort foods with other comforting consumables like for me green tea does the trick - calms me down and I can drink bucketloads without adverse effects. It also always helps my stomach rather than making me feel sick so that's nice. Music does it for me sometimes, make a playlist of your feel-good songs (cause you can never think of them in the moment when you're really upset) and listen to that as soon as you can feel yourself getting upset (and it's socially appropriate...). Deep breathing/meditation always feel ridiculous in the moment but do really help (physically, mentally, and emotionally) so I'd recommend it but again it's hard to start when you're upset.

Whatever you find works, make a list of it somewhere or have it ready because when you're upset logic goes out the window. It's also helpful to divulge it to a confidante because sometimes they can give you the inspiration to get up and do what you need to do to cope when you don't feel like it.

Whatever you do, don't try to get rid of it without replacing it. De-stressing after experiences like that is so important, and unless you're seriously jeopardizing your health (e.g. you have diabetes or a heart condition), comfort eating is probably far better than doing nothing (as long as you don't blame yourself afterwards, and it's not all the time).

I'm not a therapist, so these suggestions come from a compilation of my own experience, my fairly substantial psychology knowledge from school and lots of books in my spare time, and working with people facing similar things.

So sorry you guys are going through tough times and I wish you all the best.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    This is tough.... I have been there too. Try to find things that won't just kill your diet.... Fruit, yogurts, nuts,things that you munch but not calorie dense.... My doctor tells me don't have it in the house, theme you won't be so. Tempted..... Wishing you only the best, hugs to your mum..
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your mother. I don't know the details, but I hope things will be better soon.

I recommend reading as many books on emotional eating as you can. Watch videos on the subject. There is a forum called Happy Eaters, and in their book section, there are summaries of many books related to emotional eating and binge-restriction.

It's important to recognize that feeling sad or scared or anxious isn't going to hurt you. Those feelings will pass. You don't have to blunt them with food, etc. You're strong enough to sit with them. And a lot of times, they are worth feeling.

And if it is too much to do on your own, find a good therapist who is well-versed in emotional eating to help you.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    This is tough.... I have been there too. Try to find things that won't just kill your diet.... Fruit, yogurts, nuts,things that you munch but not calorie dense.... My doctor tells me don't have it in the house, theme you won't be so. Tempted..... Wishing you only the best, hugs to your mum..
    That was my first suggestion, too: if there are certain things you binge on DO NOT BUY THEM. Second, re-route yourself before you go directly to food. Do something else - ANYTHING else - to distract yourself from both the stress and the desire to eat. Also, keep in mind this feeling you have right now. Recall it prior to reaching for food next time. Or at least try. Sorry for your stress, though. Hang in there!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    don't really have an answer. Your aware of it... i'm my opinion thats pretty much the only way to kill it. to recognize it for what it is, your not hungry, your not even really craving a food or indulging in the taste... your compeled to do this becasue "X" happend.

Obviously thats a fight your going to have to have everytime. but there are those out there that really dont recognize it. they might understand on some level that there emotions are driving them to eat, but thats not the same as 100% owning it.

so i guess my strategy is to simply identify it when its happening, and try to remind yourself of your goals.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options

you should probably cross nuts off that list