Who eats a structued diet plan vs just choosing to eat healt

Options
Just curious - lots of magazines and books have suggested meal plans and I have read its good to plan ahead. But it seems almost like more work to me to do this vs just knowing what foods I like to eat and what is nutritious.

I'd love some input!

Replies

• PattiPositive
    Options
    I worked on changing what I eat. I have a shelf in the fridge that has all my healthy choices. So I don't exactly plan, but i have choices I planned on I can eat from without guilt.
  • atampa
    atampa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I eat fun and nutritional meals i just make. I pack my breakfast and lunch for work the night before so i don't make bad decisions when im hungry. On the weekends i take it one meal at a time.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I do the eat healthy. For me, eating some diet plan with strict rules just causes me more harm. I want things that aren't always on the plan, and I'll get them, then feel guilty, then free fall into gaining more weight...horrible cycle.

Plus, I think we've gotten away from eating real foods. Too many diet plans rely on fake foods or limit healthy things for silly reasons. Like coconut oil, that's been a diet no-no, but really it's full of good fats. Or butter being replaced by fake buttery spreads. I think that's really the biggest issue is the replacement of real food for not real food. So, I'd rather eat natural nutritious foods that may be high in fat or carbs, instead of fake things. :)
  • purplespeckle
    Options
    Just curious - lots of magazines and books have suggested meal plans and I have read its good to plan ahead. But it seems almost like more work to me to do this vs just knowing what foods I like to eat and what is nutritious.

I'd love some input!

A typical day for me (on a work day) is:
    (times vary depending on when breaks are scheduled)
    9:15 protein bar 140 calories
    12:30 400 calorie meal
    2:15 90 calorie kellogs bar

I get home at 4:30 and sometimes have another 90 calorie kellogs bar then anytime between 6-8 is when i eat dinner which is usually a 500 calorie meal and then around 8 or 9 (depending on when I ate dinner) I have another 90 calorie kellogs bar or sometimes I skip it

I'm a 'calorie, sodium, and protein counter'
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I Plan out meals for the week so I don't have to think about, just eat it. Breakfast and lunches are the same all week and dinners change. Weekends I don't plan so its more of a challenge but ive been making it work too.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    At the moment I have strict plan. It works best for me cause I don't have to think about what to eat. When I eat like this, I completely look at food as fuel and I have absolutely no cravings and no feelings of needing more. I know some people get sick of always eating the same thing, but for me - and to reach my goal - this is what works best.

You can view my diary if you wish - it's public.

If you look at before January 17th, there is more variety.
  • jessimacar
    Options
    I think to start eating healthier, planning ahead decreases the chances of any mistakes.. But once you've made habits and learned your triggers and foods to avoid, then I think there's less of a need to structure your meals..
  • annie_p
    annie_p Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I try to plan my meals, but that's mostly for my grocery list(and to make things easier for my husband!).
  • kerry2285
    kerry2285 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ive done a few diets and wasnt keen on them.

I am now on this site watching my calories, sat fat and a few other things. I am trying not to go over (but if its only by a few then I cant see it that bad as long as its not every day).

I love planning my meals the night before as im finding I stick to it more. Otherwise I find myself over eating because I havent remembered everything thats passed my lips or I conveniantly forget to add them.
    I dont know im just finding it so much better to plan and control at the moment.....

I also think everyone is different and what works for some people might not work for others. I tried 3 diets end of last year and only 1 worked for me and thats the one ive gone back to. Yet my friend is on the new weight watchers and loosing LOADS!!! I couldnt get on with their new system unfortunatly, it gave me too many points to indulge in the naughty foods!! lol

What ever you choose I wish you good luck :-) (and sorry for rambling im not the best person at writing)
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    I've always seen eating as a chore to be finished quickly so I can get back to work/hobby/fun etc. I am a "repetitive" eater. I can eat the same stuff for weeks and not get bored. I rotate five main dishes, several veggies and make fruit my new "dessert" w/ every meal. Look at my diary to see what/how I eat. Planning ahead is on days that I'm away all day for work. I punch in the things that I usually eat, pack up the list and off I go. After I come home I may eat some more, but I worked so I have "exercise cals" to spare. That's as much of a "plan" as I need.
  • 2hdesign
    2hdesign Posts: 153
    Options
    I make a 'meal plan' every weekend and then go shopping. Otherwise I either overbuy or don't have the right ingredients to make things. And by meal plan I mean this: we figure out what we want to eat for breakfast and lunch for the week (usually we're happy to eat the same thing day and day out for a week, so it works out). And then we pick 3-4 dinners that we want to make and shop for that. It's more then enough food for 7 days but it has flexibility - make what you want, when you want it.
  • helenamonks
    Options
    I keep healthy food readily available, I allow myself 140 carbs, 105 protein, 1250 cals, I don't really flip when I go over b/c its never too drastic. I make all of my food either the night before or in the morning so that I have food at hand at all times. Also, if when I plan my meals, its a little over my caloric intake allowances, I just plan a workout on my lunchbreak or right after work. That way I burn any excess and still lose, while eating the foods I like. I havent allowed myself pizza, but I did allow myself one 'cheat' day, but I got so sick that I'll prolly stick to sushi and tacos when I want something to 'cheat' with.

My diary is public, feel free.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I tried pretty much every "diet" plan under the sun, and had dismal results. I would get frustrated with whomever it was telling me I HAD to eat such and such even if I didn't care for it. I got tired of others telling me that I wasn't trying hard enough and that if it worked for them it would work for me. Yada yada yada. Some of the plans just were not realistic in my world. And some of them cost an arm and a leg! Forget that! I have had better results on MFP where I can pick and choose what I want, when ever I want it. I just have to make it work within the calorie goal, or work my @ss off for it.

I keep healthy foods in the fridge that I can choose from. I always have cooked chicken breast available as well as multiple choices of proteins in the freezer. When I make stuff like soup, stew, or other multi portion meal items I always make 4-6 portions and put the extra in the freezer. Then I have my own "tv dinners" ready to go if I don't feel like cooking.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie.

I just try to eat healthier. Smaller portion sizes were the real difference for me. After almost 7 months of sticking with it I'm getting pretty good at throwing dinner together for under 400 calories. Fresh fruit & veg are awesome.

I don't eat beef/pork/poultry. I do eat fish/eggs/dairy. Which is the only restriction on what I eat.

But omitting meat isn't about the calories for me.. its an environmental and compassionate choice :flowerforyou:
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Pretty much just eat healthier. Like most people, we have a very busy life (3-kids, hobby farm, run my own business, etc). While we are both good planners and time managers, there just isnt time to get to fancy with structured diet plans. But we are concious and do quite well overall. Seems to work for us
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I just keep healthy food in the house, but at the same time, when I go to the store I try and think about what the week is going to look like food wise. I try and plan meals around what I'm buying.

I wanted to add, I do plan my breakfasts in advance, I eat a grapefruit every single day, and I have something else with it. Lately that's been an English muffin with peanut butter. That way I know in advance what I'm having, and there is less room for slip ups.
  • UmbraForzare
    Options
    I've tried a list of diets and "diet plans" as long as my arm!!

At the moment, I've found that creating a menu for the week ahead helps me make good food choices and there's an added bonus of knowing exactly what I need to get from the grocery store so it cuts down on costs too!
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I echo what most have said here.

I've learned through many attempts and failures at weight loss trying to follow others that my own plan is the best plan for me.
    I keep things somewhat structured and usually plan my meals a day in advance during the week.
    Weekends are a little less rigid.

I eat what I consider to be fairly healthy. There's always room for improvement but this is a program that will work for life for ME.

I like following my own rules.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I think to start eating healthier, planning ahead decreases the chances of any mistakes.. But once you've made habits and learned your triggers and foods to avoid, then I think there's less of a need to structure your meals..

I agree with this statement.

Personally - I am following the Primal Blue Print Plan. It is not as structured as Atkins was when I was on it, but with Atkins I learned a LOT about my body and how different foods make my body react when I eat them. I had lost 100 pounds and kept that weight off for years............until the onset of Thyroid issues and a car accident - then a stroke happened. I am just getting back to feeling 100%.

By the time I had reached Atkins Maintenance I knew what I could and how much to maintain my weight. That is the most important piece of keeping the weight off.

I found that it is much easier to lose weight than it is to maintain the weight loss. This is where a total mental shift has to take place or the weight will not stay off.