Does anyone else feel the same way?

Options
I am the kind of person who makes a plan and sticks with it. I am the kind of person who likes to research what I'm getting into before I dive in headfirst.

And so many of today's thoughts on dieting do not help me at all.

I have read so many articles on the concept of losing weight without it being a conscious effort. My heart fills with joy when I read things like "all you have to do is cut out the processed foods and stop eating when you're full".

Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me. I can only assume that this kind of dieting doesn't work for others either. I find myself to always be hungry. Which is probably why I started to need to lose weight in the first place. I am constantly hungry--and I don't like to say no to myself.

When I read things like "indulge yourself in a small dessert each night" my mind reels. Because for me, it's all or nothing. It's like once I've turned on a switch in my mind, I have to fight really hard to turn it off. When I set out to eat until I'm full, I make damn well sure that I'm full.

This mode of thinking must work for many--which is probably why it's become so popular. An average person with a few extra pounds around their waistline might feel liberated by this new holistic approach to wellness from their days of miserably counting calories.

But my brain works like a machine. I have a need to count calories and weigh myself frequently--a habit that is shamed by experts of the current thought on losing weight.

I find myself needing to record each gram that I eat. My willpower would break under the stress of the unsurety of anything else.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Your thoughts would be much appreciated--I want to know if I'm a total freak or if others find themselves struggling with this phenomenon as well.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't feel the "need" to weigh everything and log it...but I do it because it works.

Cutting out processed food is broscience...
    and intuitive eating works for some but not a lot...
    having treats is a good idea I think if you are good at moderating yourself and staying in goal
    I didn't have a few lbs....
    weighing myself was a weekly thing when I was losing as I understand flucuations happen frequently and didn't need the drama...now it's a morning thing now that I am at maitenance...but it's not a "need"

So basically I think weighing and logging is a good thing as long as it doesn't control your total life...for example I still eat at resturants where I have to "guess' at the portion size...I am okay with that.

If you actually have a "need" and your day is ruined because you can't weigh your food or log yah that's an issue and I would seek some help for possible OCD tendancies...
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean but I don't think it's as dire as you do. I think if you really do have weight to lose (e.g., you're not 115 trying to get down to 110) "they" are perfectly accepting of weighing yourself and counting calories while you lose the weight you need to to get healthy. Though by "they" I mean society and the medical and weight loss industries. If your parents or friends aren't accepting of calorie counting, I totally get that. Sometimes you have to do things your way.

You sound like a lot of us who struggle with 'all or nothing' or perfectionist thinking but usually counting calories CAN help us see how we can have a small dessert without going hog wild. It's just a number with calories not a YES or NO. A 600 calorie dessert can fit in a 200 calorie slot, by eating 1/3 of it. Know what I mean?

I hear a lot of negative self-talk, or maybe it's justifying self-talk. I can't do this, I have to do that, etc. Sometimes listening to how we talk helps us realize we play a role in keeping ourselves the way we are. We can change but we have to believe we can first.
  • TheSheepFollower
    TheSheepFollower Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I understand I felt like that too! But the all or nothing mindset leads to failure. Focus on what you did good other than what you didn,t do good! If your obsessing than tal;k to a professional.
  • Wildstorms
    Wildstorms Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm all or nothing with puddings as well. At first I cut them all out - it was the only way. Now I'm at the point where I don't want to ruin progress with eating them! I have to lose weight eating my 'old' diet, but am gradually changing it. I eat chocolate most days, within my allowance. The thing is, I won't binge often as I've worked too hard. If I do, I am better at moving on.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    In the beginning I did not do desserts or any trigger foods. Now after about a year I find I can eat a small portion, why I don't know. I guess a little is better than none. Also I realize I usually just want a few bites, don't need all of that and I am satisfied. I also have found out that it is taking care of myself and this has let to a mindset that I just need a little of certain foods to do that. Sound kind of corny but I need to care and love myself enough to do the right thing by me. I think we are all different and do whatever works for you.
    I weigh everyday and others don't but it works for me. I don't weigh though when on vacation or if I am out of town for any reason. I do log every day no matter what, maybe eventually good habits will set in and I wont have to, who knows.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    First of all, you are not a total freak. People whose anal or OCD tendencies don't stop them from living a normal life are usually much happier just doing things their anal/OCD way and should just do that. It's all about being happy! And everyone is crazy in their own way. Get to know people well enough, you'll find their crazy. Promise. :)

Whatever works for you is the right way. You can't walk someone else's path. You have to take your own,

Whether it's obsessively weighing every grain, eating a reasonable amount of healthy food, intermittent fasting, cheat days, whatever! If it works for you, it's the right thing for you.

Personally, I have some OCD tendencies, but weighing and measuring the food have not become obsessions for me. I have like twelve steps to towel folding, though, and won't let anyone else do it. (Feel less crazy now?) :D
  • captaincleo
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for all of your insight!

This post was definitely a positive experience for me. I am new to the MFP community, and I can tell through these messages that this is a wonderful place for people working together in different ways towards the same goal!

Thank you all for reassuring me that I am not going crazy, but also giving me ground checks on the mode of my thinking. I didn't even realize how negative my tone was until someone brought it up! This was an eye-opener to me.

Once again, thank you a million times!! :smile:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

If you actually have a "need" and your day is ruined because you can't weigh your food or log yah that's an issue and I would seek some help for possible OCD tendancies...
    This is what I'm thinking as well. There is a difference between needing to do something and doing something because its one of the tools you choose to use to keep on track.
  • captaincleo
    Options

This is what I'm thinking as well. There is a difference between needing to do something and doing something because its one of the tools you choose to use to keep on track.

Sorry! I know this isn't a proper excuse but I'm young and prone to exaggeration. That being said, keeping track of calories is something that helps me immensely in my weight loss journey.

My day isn't ruined if I can't log my food, but I do find myself racking up my tally in my head. It helps me continue the program that I have crafted in my mind.

I understand that this isn't realistic, but I am impressed myself when I step on the scale and have made progress. I like to see that each time (I understand that I don't always see progress, though). Counting calories helps me do this, and that's all :)

The original point of the post was to get at the fact that for ME stopping eating when I'm full or simply making healthier choices doesn't always let me feel accomplished.
  • matthawthorneisamyth
    matthawthorneisamyth Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Some people can have one beer in six months and be hardly affected. For others a single sip of alcohol can lead to a lifetime of dangerously drunken decisions. I'm not saying food is an addiction, but the behavior patterns that surround it can mimic addiction dependent on the person.

Everyone is different. Diet is largely individual. People don't understand that. You have to find what works for otherwise you won't stick with it. There isn't a wrong answer here except for the answer that turns you into Violet Beauregard.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Don't worry--we freaks make good company! :) You're here with your peeps. ;)

Weightloss and fitness is hard. If being meticulous about your logging helps with your health goals, go for it. I pack my weighed/measured food every day for work, extra green tea and wear a body media armband 23.5/7 and put on a HRM when I work out. I'm a numbers nerd. I like the data.

I try hard to eat foods that work well for my body and include my daily treats of peanut butter and dark chocolate.

I don't buy snacky food, because I'll eat it. I have recently bought some microwave popcorn as a snack, and am doing OK with that. But no cookies, crackers or other stuff. I keep my "food world" small.

That being said, I'll indulge a little on occasion. But I log it as best I can.