Need shoe guidance, please

Options
Greetings MFPers! I've been a part of this community for several months now, and have, along with a smarter diet, literally worked my *kitten* off. :laugh: Har har.
When I started running, my husband (who's always been in shape) insisted that I buy good running shoes. He was right and it made all the difference. Along with running, I've been taking Body Combat classes. Recently he attended a class with me, and likes it. But now he thinks I/we need shoes for that. Something with more side support--he's concerned about turning an ankle.
I looked where I purchased my running shoes and they have running, walking, hiking, basketball, and crosstraining...what am I looking for? Although I don't do the aerobic classes, are there aerobic shoes somewhere?
Help.
Valerie

Replies

• emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I think your husband just like new shoes!
    I dont honestly know if running shoes are ok for classes like that, but I would imagine a good walking shoe would be just fine?
    But Im no expert!
  • mckval
    mckval Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think your husband just like new shoes!
    I dont honestly know if running shoes are ok for classes like that, but I would imagine a good walking shoe would be just fine?
    But Im no expert!

Ha! That's funny. But not true. He's very frugal. He is though super careful when it comes to stuff like this, and just doesn't want me hurt. Which is nice.
  • cmw2011
    cmw2011 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have trouble figuring out what shoes are needed for activities, too. For those times, I'll go to a really nice place where they try them on you, they seem to have a lot of knowledge that a regular store doesn't have. The shoes aren't usually much more expensive than another store. If it's too much, then at least you've found out what you need and what feels right on your feet. Then you can take that information and shop around!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Probably crosstraining or aerobic shoes. My personal favs are Asics, but depends on your foot shape/arch.
  • bizybeemom
    bizybeemom Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I wear my running shoes for every type of exercise I do, because they give me the the best support. Perhaps your body combat instructor would have advice. If it is based on fighting, or MMA, it might be good to ask someone who actually fights (although a lot of those folks don't wear shoes when they fight). There are also ankle braces you can purchese for a little extra support. My dad wears them with his basketball shoes to protect his ankles.
  • aschultz9
    Options
    I have running shoes because I do a lot of running, but I wear those for all other activites as well. (ie biking, elliptical, weight lifting etc).
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Body Combat involves a lot of lateral movements and direction changes. Other than cross trainers he could try squash or tennis shoes.
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I went to a running store and had them watch me run on the treadmill so that I got a shoe that is right for the way I move -- I have a mild pronation and so I use the mid level support shoe from Brooks (I love their stuff) I hike in them, trail run, run, walk and go to a step class in them
  • mckval
    mckval Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate it!