Eating out

Options
So, here is my dilemma. Every Sunday My Fiancé and I go out to dinner. I try making the best choices, but my fiancé feels that I should be allowed to eat whatever I want for that one meal a week. I know all too well how fast that one meal can add on calories. I was wondering if this was a good idea or not. If, for example, I know next Sunday we planned on going to a new Chinese restaurant together. We get dinner on Sundays usually at 5. What if I were to eat fruits and veggies for breakfast and lunch, and on that Sunday eat anything for dinner. ( One dinner meal of course). Would that set me back?

Thanks in advanced guys

Replies

• Rlavigne93
    Rlavigne93 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    One meal a week doesn't really matter so much. I often eat really light on a day I know I'll go out to eat, to avoid feeling guilty about it.
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    So, here is my dilemma. Every Sunday My Fiancé and I go out to dinner. I try making the best choices, but my fiancé feels that I should be allowed to eat whatever I want for that one meal a week. I know all too well how fast that one meal can add on calories. I was wondering if this was a good idea or not. If, for example, I know next Sunday we planned on going to a new Chinese restaurant together. We get dinner on Sundays usually at 5. What if I were to eat fruits and veggies for breakfast and lunch, and on that Sunday eat anything for dinner. ( One dinner meal of course). Would that set me back?

Thanks in advanced guys

Fit it in your calorie budget for the day, and drive on. You will find the balance you are seeking pretty soon. It usually is the result of trial and error.

Its a great thing that you and she go out, because that is the fuel that helps keep a relationship going. Sounds like a you have a good thing & congrats on the impending marriage....

Saying that, how she feels about what YOU eat is immaterial. YOUR journey here is about what YOU are doing and the choices YOU are making. Not casting aspersions in her direction at all - more wanting you to be aware that the results YOU are after are the results of the choices YOU make...no one else.

Your plan sounds solid though, and your logic on the dining out sounds right......

Fsunami
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You can make healthier choices during the day to have enough calories for a nicer dinner if you like - or heck, eat 100 calories less each day of the week to make room for it. But to be fair, healthier food on the menu is often as tasty as the calorie-laden stuff... so you don't have to starve all day for it. I mean, last time I went out with my husband, we went to a sushi place, I had a cup of wonton soup and a salmon roll, and that's it... and it was fine. Eating out doesn't have to be a 2000 calories meal.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You can make healthier choices during the day to have enough calories for a nicer dinner if you like - or heck, eat 100 calories less each day of the week to make room for it. But to be fair, healthier food on the menu is often as tasty as the calorie-laden stuff... so you don't have to starve all day for it. I mean, last time I went out with my husband, we went to a sushi place, I had a cup of wonton soup and a salmon roll, and that's it... and it was fine. Eating out doesn't have to be a 2000 calories meal.

Pretty much all of this.

We eat out a lot. It is pretty easy to eat out at a reasonable caloric level. And if you want to splurge, just plan ahead. We go out for ice cream every Sunday. It's part of my weekly planning to eat a few calories under through the week so I can have my chocolate peanut butter sundae each time.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I go out to eat two times a week with partner. I always make sure that I exercise in the morning, even if it's a walk for an hour. It makes me less concerned about dinner. An hour of walking for me is about a 500 calorie burn.
    Or if not exercising, I eat about 700-800 calories during the day and leave myself room for about 900-1000 for dinner. You could try something like that within your own calorie allowance, might take a bit of balance of certain foods to ensure you're not too hungry. Some protein through the day/lunch or a shake might be a good idea.

If I don't leave myself any wiggle room for an 'anything goes' dinner in either of those ways, I try to make healthier choices even if I eat out, which of course is still enjoyable :) I'll skip soft drinks or anything and drink only water with the meal, keep fried chips to a small serve. I'll have veggies as a side or in the meal, like for a Chinese restaurant, a stir fry meat and vegetable kind of dish with a fist sized portion of the fried rice. I don't really get any of the fried things.
    I also over estimate when I try and log something as close to what I had, although I try to enjoy myself as well :) so far it has not interfered with my goals.
  • Rmfowler1990
    Rmfowler1990 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My husband and I like to go out on weekends for dinner or drinks or both. I try to eat less during my other meals (breakfast and lunch) or I try to do some extra exercise. I log the best that I can for anything I eat so I get a good idea of how much I've eaten. I also try to drink a lot more water during the day. I see this as a lifestyle change, and I don't expect myself for the rest of my life to turn down opportunities, or enjoy myself. I just need to learn better management of them and realize that those things should be splurges! Hope this helps you, enjoy your tradition with your fiancée.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Pick restaurants that make their nutritional information available.