Lifting routines that got you results...

Options
I'm no newb to lifting but I just had a baby and I don't really want to think about coming up with a lifting routine or choosing one that I'm unsure will yield results. I plan to start at 6 weeks postpartum and will ease myself back into it but ultimately I want to hit the weights hard, keep the cardio brief but intense, and not waste precious time piddling around in the gym.

A bit more about my style--I lift heavy, generally keep my reps below 12, dead lifts are a must, and I plan to be in the gym 5 days a week for no more than an hour each day.

Any recommendations? Thank you in advance. Oh, and please post any links that would be useful for me in gaining info about the program/routine.

Replies

• heysarge13
    heysarge13 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    http://www.muscleandbodymag.com/power-surge/ I found this last fall and tried it out. Actually just started it again at the beginning of August. You hit the major lifts twice a week, rep ranges stay between 6-8 & 8-10. You only lift 3 days per week, and each workout actually becomes a full body workout. So if your prone to injuries like me, you don't over work a muscle group.

And of course there is the always popular Stronglifts 5X5 Workout.
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    scVeu.jpg

My recommendations, be very careful about internet lifting advice.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    What sort of results do you want? And why do you think your current routine won't do it?
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    http://www.muscleandbodymag.com/power-surge/ I found this last fall and tried it out. Actually just started it again at the beginning of August. You hit the major lifts twice a week, rep ranges stay between 6-8 & 8-10. You only lift 3 days per week, and each workout actually becomes a full body workout. So if your prone to injuries like me, you don't over work a muscle group.

And of course there is the always popular Stronglifts 5X5 Workout.

Thank you. I hated strong lifts--it got boring fast although it is effective at increasing strength.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    What sort of results do you want? And why do you think your current routine won't do it?

I'm 3 weeks post partum and haven't lifted HEAVY since before pregnancy. I don't know what I WANT to do so I'm just looking for some training regimens that others liked. I don't intend on following just any plan --there are just always resources that are undiscovered.

Goals--increase strength, decrease fat (which I'm well aware of the dietary component that's involved in achieving this), and enjoy my workout. :)
  • moldovitsa
    moldovitsa Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I started with Stronglifts and then moved to the Nia Shanks (s)hero program (intermediate program) at the recommendation of a friend. It's 4 phases - 1&3 are 3 days/week, 2&4 are 4 days/week. The hard part of the big lifts is 7-9 reps heavy, then AMRAP at 10% less weight. Accessory lifts have between 10-15 reps.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I started with stronglifts 5x5 and modified it after a year. It is incredibly effective at making you stronger.

But, like you, I did think it was a bit boring after a while. I found I wanted to bench press and deadlift more than what StrongLifts prescribed (after a year of doing it, of course). So, I modified the program.

I added in some exercises, like Cleans and Pullups. I still only lift 3 per week (I feel the rest day between is crucial to my own recovery, as I near 43 years of age). But I now bench every workout, in addition to the squats, and I deadlift 2x per week. The cleans I do on non-deadlift days, and pullups get sprinkled into the workouts.

IMO, the core lifts are crucial, regardless of what program you want to follow, whether it's an official program or something you invent. Recovery time is important, proper fuel, and variation.

Remember - there are a LOT of variations for lifts like squats and deadlifts. If you find yourself getting bored doing these core, important lifts, shake up the variation. Do front squats one day, or box squats, or a sumo deadlift. Shake it up a bit. Your body will respond.

And really, most bodybuilder professionals recommend doing the variations anyway.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5!
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5. I agree gets boring quick, but you'll also see quick results. It might be a good one to get you back into the swing of things. And given the commitment you want to make it fits in well. Three days a week and then maybe 2 HIIT cardio sessions? I do sprints on treadmill.
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    Options
    Bump
  • WishUponAStarx
    WishUponAStarx Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • MuscleHeadNerd74
    MuscleHeadNerd74 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Still a work in Progress I'll let you know in about 8 months