Shy and scared.

Options
Hello there,

I just joined this site today. You may call me LadyBug or Jean. I'm a 23 year old female who needs to lose weight and be a healthier person. I've been "plus size" all my life, but it wasn't until this year that I started having major issues with my body. It's not only with how I feel about myself, but my health as well. There are a few things that made me stop and say "I need to do this." It started with simple things like going up a size in clothes, but then it started to affect my love life, my health, and my happiness. I guess it didn't really hit me how big I have gotten until recently. I really don't know where or how to start, so that's why I'm here. I'm a quiet person and unfortunately don't have many friends so there's no support. I wish I had someone to teach me about food, fitness, and everything. I do try to eat healthier and only drink water, but so far that hasn't been helping. I need to focus on making an exercise routine. Thanks for taking the time to read this! It's nice to meet you.

Replies

• Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    What sort of exercise do you enjoy doing? Perhaps you can do more of that? For example, going to a store and just walking around it for a while is something easy to fit in!

There are lots of people on MFP with amazing success stories. If they can do it, I know you can as well. Congratulations for taking the first step! Now it's just putting one foot in front of another. I would advise you to not get upset if things don't go as quickly as you like. It's a slow and steady journey... :flowerforyou:
  • LonelyLadyBug
    Options
    I enjoy taking long walks and swimming. In winter I still go out to shovel and build snowmen. (I'm a kid at heart.) I was thinking of waking up a half hour early every day for a walk before my morning shower. (4:30AM!)
  • lisanangel
    lisanangel Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me...I'm on daily:flowerforyou:
  • Theotherkels
    Options
    Welcome! the first step is always the hardest and it sounds like you've taken it by joining here :) Feel free to add me, I'm also on daily and this is a really great place to get the support you need, and answers to the questions you have!
  • Slimsuzy2021
    Slimsuzy2021 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow beginner,
    I just signed up tonight too. However I won't be starting to follow the calorie intake & exercise until Monday (I'm on my last day of vacation). I've been pretty good and conscious about my food while at the beach. Been eating seafood and passed on the ice cream. Now I want to finish my weight loss journey. So I joined and am happy and excited to start.

Unlike you I've been dieting most of my life. I've already lost 100 pounds and kept it off for 10 years. I've going to be 63 in 2 weeks but feel like a teenager and want to have a healthier body. I'm proud of you for joining! I have only regret in my life-- that I didn't take better care of my body. AND it's never too late, I feel. But you are lucky because you are still young and can become and stay healthy. That's such a terrific goal.

Exercise makes me feel good. I swim (I live on a lake), kayak and ride my stationery bike. I also try to make at least 5 Jazzercise classes a week. I'm not real coordinated but it's fun and lots of nice people to connect with for an hour. Sometimes we go for coffee after class. I sweat a lot but get a good workout to hip hop music which I enjoy.

Good luck. I wish you much success. We can do it!!!
  • Su_ziq
    Su_ziq Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Feel free to view my diary anytime for ideas to stay in whatever calorie range you are looking for. I started with a 1600 calorie goal, and after I found a liveable diet with that I went down to a 1400 calorie goal. I do walking for my exercise, 2-3 times a week. I have lost nearly 50 lbs in the last month (but can't get MFP to show it since I changed my goals - but whatever) lost 4 lbs just in the last 2 weeks. Slow and steady is fine with me!
  • moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladybug! I'm 24 and know how you feel! Plus size all my life gained weight like crazy in college but didn't really care until my DR. said I was prediabetic. I'm sending a friend request I'm happy to support you in your journey
  • lessbounce
    lessbounce Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You've made a big step by coming on here (if you'd like some support feel free to add me as a friend). I personally can gain weight by eating healthy - my portion control is just way off. Might be worth spending a few days logging what you normally eat - it can be a bit of an eye opener. My main advice to you would be if you have a bad day just right it off and get back to it, don't let one bad day become a week off.......a month off.........

We can do this :flowerforyou:
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on finding your way to MFP, and jumping in right away! Even better, you're only 23 and are going to solve this issue for yourself while you're very young....so wise of you!

Exercise offers great benefits for your health and fitness, kudos for going for it.

If you haven't already, begin now to measure and log your food. Your battle for weight loss will be won in the kitchen. I'm not an expert but this link will be a great start ... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?page=1

Best wishes for your success, you can do this!!
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. You will find lots of helpful folks here. It's not easy, but by eating right, and doing cardio exercise, you will lose weight.

One of the first things I did was buy a good food scale. Now I weigh everything I eat. It takes all the guess work out of it. And another tip is to make full use of the recipe builder. I use that all the time. With stuff like soup or stew, it is easy to get correct measures if you make your serving size 100 grams. If I cook a pot of soup, and it weighs 1250 grams, I will add 50 grams of water and call it 13 servings.

Feel free to add me if you need more friends.

Good luck with your lifestyle change,

Larro