Recipes for chicken beyond "Baked"

Options
jaxtheassassin
jaxtheassassin Posts: 31 Member
I'm so bored with baked chicken. Anyone have any ideas on how to spice it up so it's fresh again (in a way that will keep when I make a week's worth of lunches).

Replies

• Princess_Lee2013
    Princess_Lee2013 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I like eating it cold as a salad with greek tzatziki and cucumber/ onion.
    Another great recipe would be to make stir fry with a light soy sauce, you can eat this plain or as the filling for lettuce wraps
    Another way I like it -stuffed, so 95% fat free cream cheese and spinach and then cut it into slices and eat that way.
  • Jim1960
    Jim1960 Posts: 194
    Options
    A couple ideas that immediately come to mind.

Saute the chicken. Buy boneless, or debone the chicken yourself. Pound it flat. Then you can either lightly bread it; or season it and saute in butter and/or oil. If you're going low-fat; you can saute without extra oils in a non-stick pan with some cooking spray. I'm following a low carb high fat way of eating and this way is perfectly fine. You don't have to go with breast meat either. You can debone any cut and it works fine. You can blacken it as well in a very hot pan the way Paul Prudhomme describes. They key is to make sure the meat isn't too thick so it cooks through quickly.

Put the chicken into a soup or stew. My personal favorite is a good Chicken Taco soup. This keeps very well and makes a very substantial and nutritious lunch. But you could make any number of good chicken soups or stews. Even Chili if you're so inclined.

Of course you could grill it. I prefer thighs for this; but any cut would work. I like to marinate it in Mojo overnight and grill up a bunch. Then I cut up the grilled meat for use in salads and such through the week.

An there are variations on baking. You could pound breasts flat and roll them up with some savory filling and back that. You could put them in little backing dishes in a sauce. I used to put flattened chicken breast cut into strips; put into a individual cup sized baking dishes; and put some honey/mustard/wine mixture in with them and bake. Yum. But that's too sweet for me now. But that technique could be used with any number of sauces that aren't necessarily fattening or sugary. You could put boneless chicken breasts on an aluminum square, put some seasonings on the chicken with a little butter and oil, then seal it up into a packet. Yesterday, as a matter of fact, I had some chick breasts that I put in aluminum packet with butter, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, garlic; and lemon pepper and baked. Very good.
  • tonelli28
    tonelli28 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    do you cook the cream cheese and asparagus with the raw chicken? If so how thick are the chicken breasts
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Good thread, I'm quite basic when it comes to chicken, and usually just brine it for a while, and then either pan fry it if a breast, or roast it if pieces/ a whole chicken. So nice and juicy that way, even if quite basic :)
  • jaxtheassassin
    jaxtheassassin Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've been adding it to soups or just baking it lately. Marinades would be good--I'm trying to avoid frying in oils for multiple reasons.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Have you had the salsa chicken? I use boneless , skinless chicken breasts, taco seasoning, and a jar of your favorite salsa. Rub chicken well with taco seasoning, place in crockpot. Add salsa, cook till tender, shred and use for burritos, over rice, or add to salad with black beans and lite sour cream.... So versatile.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Have you had the salsa chicken? I use boneless , skinless chicken breasts, taco seasoning, and a jar of your favorite salsa. Rub chicken well with taco seasoning, place in crockpot. Add salsa, cook till tender, shred and use for burritos, over rice, or add to salad with black beans and lite sour cream.... So versatile.

Now this sounds really good! Thanks!
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

Now this sounds really good! Thanks!

So welcome... I even put this on a baked potato with the lite sour cream.... So good
  • mirki002
    mirki002 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you like buffalo chicken, this recipe is a great healthier version. Totally satisfies my buffalo chicken cravings :)
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/01/skinny-buffalo-chicken-strips.html?showComment=1389229775822&m=1
  • talonspiritcat
    talonspiritcat Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Chicken marinated for a few hours (or all day) in orange juice and curry powder. (I use 1/4 cup oj and 1 tbs curry but I like a strong curry flavour). Whisk a little cornstarch into the OJ before baking to thicken the sauce (or not if you prefer a liquid sauce to a glaze).
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I found wonderful habanero pepper jelly at the farmers market. This + cider vinegar + (optional, since you said you were trying to avoid oil) a wee bit of sesame oil, then grill it, basting it with the marinade as you grill. A little goes a long way with the sesame oil, if you want to try that. Without the sesame oil, I'd probably add a small amount of soy to punch it up.

Crock pot, shredded + BBQ sauce is good. I don't have a recipe, but there's a few out there.

Bake a whole chicken with 40 cloves of garlic stuffed under the skin (recipes abound) and it's a totally different baked chicken experience.
  • twinsmomma02
    twinsmomma02 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I make an easy chicken enchilada casserole, baked chicken parmesan, and recently started broiling chicken after pounding it flat and using different marinades. My most recent experiment was making easy blackened chicken which was great! You can find a lot of really easy, healthy chicken recipes on Pinterest.
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Chicken, green chiles, and taco seasoning in a crock pot -- good for tacos, salad, taquitos, burritos, nachos, etc.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I'm with Judy! BUMP!

I do chicken most week but I suck at using recipes so here's some ideas I use:

Roast a whole chicken with poultry herbs stuffed inside - I think I do 3 hours at 350 - uncovered for the last hour to make crispy skin (yep, I eat that part but only on the day it was cooked)

Grilled chicken - used for salads or sandwiches usually - usually chicken thighs I debone or boneless skinless breast - grilled on my George Foreman type grill

Stir Fry - diced chicken - leftover or raw, boneless, onions (green, yellow, white, purple - I'm flexible), leftover and frozen veggies on hand (the harder the veggie the earlier it should go in), soy sauce, citrus (sometimes) juice/zest, fish sauce, ground or fresh ginger (sometimes), garlic (dried, powder, fresh - whatever I have), dash of sriracha or hot pepper flakes. mmmm. top with sesame oil to serve.

Chicken salad - chicken meat diced (good use of leftover chicken), mayo, pkt or drops of liquid sweetener (or sugar or whatever you use)(easy on the sweet but it needs a bit of sweet), grapes halved and almond slivers - uh huh! Can eat on lettuce boats if wanting to cut calories down. I don't skip fat but I will skip bread so adapt as you need it to be.

I like the shredded for taco thing too - everybody seems to do that one - chicken + salsa + crockpot + mexican serving vessel of your choice (shells, tortillas, just salad etc)
  • WildcatDeLalune
    WildcatDeLalune Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My husband and I use the McCormick Grill Mates marinade packets--and any other brand of marinade that sounds tasty, really--but we do tend to bake the chicken after. The zesty herb flavor is probably my favorite! You can also throw a whole breast in the pan and shred it with 2 forks while it's cooking to make pulled chicken. Just toss it in barbeque sauce after. Or try tossing some chicken shreds in a slow cooker with Bear Creek noodle soups. Or cut some chicken into chunks and cook it, then use a dipping sauce or coat it in a low-sugar Chinese food sauce. ^_^.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    put a new sauce on it
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    If you buy chicken with the bone-in, bone it yourself. Take the scraps and bones and toss in a pot and make some broth. Pick off the chunks that were stuck to the bones, and skim the broth. Use the broth to make Egg Drop Soup (broth, powdered ginger, soy sauce, black pepper and beaten eggs) and the chicken pieces to make chicken fried rice(rice, chopped onion, soy sauce, pepper and chicken).You can also add peas and shredded carrots. Whatever you have lurking in the fridge. Cheapest and tastiest meal :tongue:
  • steveyinasia
    steveyinasia Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Check out this site, great recipes for almost anything http://www.skinnytaste.com
  • myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Marinate before grilling or roasting.

Cut chicken into chunks and marinate in one of these combinations:

-Tandoori/tikka curry paste + low fat yoghurt
    -Lemon juice, olive oil and crushed garlic

Then put on skewers and grill or oven cook.

Probably not as healthy, I sometimes do a chicken cacciatore recipe from BBC Good Food which seems to have been taken down now (but I think I adapted it quite a lot adding more coq au vin/bourgignon type ingredients). I've done it with just chicken thighs, or thighs and drumsticks, or a whole jointed chicken and they're all good.
    -Brown chicken pieces on skin side. Remove from pan and set aside.
    -Using the same pan, fry some bacon, set aside.
    -Using the same pan, fry an onion, add some diced carrot and mushrooms, a splash of wine (optional) and 2 tins chopped or plum tomatoes. Also add some herbs - thyme, oregano or herbes de Provence all work well.
    -Put all your ingredients in a casserole dish in the oven and cook until the chicken is really tender, falling off the bone.

Weekend treat/cheat meal - baked but so delicious:
    -Cut a slit in a chicken breast, add a slice of mozzarella and a teaspoon of pesto.
    -Wrap chicken breast in bacon.
    -Bake until chicken is cooked through and bacon is crispy.

Chicken curry - can add as much veg and stuff as you like:
    -Fry onion and garlic in a saucepan
    -Add chicken and stir 'til outside is sealed/white
    -Add curry paste from a jar (don't know what brands you have in America - I use Pataks here in the UK) and stir to coat
    -Add veg of your choice and a tin of chopped tomatoes. You may also need to add water.
    -You can add creamed coconut which is delicious but obviously high in calories. You can also stir in yoghurt to give it a creamier look and consistency which would be the healthier option.