Saying "no" to temptations??

Options
Hey MFP friends-
I can typically do well at mealtimes, sticking to what I intend to eat. I plan my meals the night before and plan protein at each meal.
My biggest downfall, though, is when treats show up at work or at home unexpectedly. It's a small office, but rarely a week goes by when someone doesnt bring in donuts, something homemade, or we have a birthday party for someone in the office (one of which we are having on Monday). I love sweets!! I'm kinda the type of person where, "out of sight, out of mind" works, but if I know its in the office, I will find myself thinking about it until it is all gone. Plus, the only common area in the office is in the lobby right next to my office. I have to go through the lobby to talk to my supervisor, use the restroom, fill up my water, make copies, etc.
So- how do you avoid temptations when they are soooo easily accessible?
Thanks!!!

Replies

• CourtLloyd
    CourtLloyd Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    So, there are always going to be excuses to why-- For example- there are always going to be holidays, birthdays, just because days, but you need to learn how to say no. I always think to myself..."it's not worth it! 500 calories in a cupcake! Just think what else I can eat for that many calories."

If you know people are always bringing in desserts, pick once a month to treat yourself. I don't think you should deny yourself all the time, but you have to limit yourself. You don't want all of your hard work to not show because of others bringing in the not so good goodies!

For example, the month of June, I knew I would be going to 4 grad parties, so I didn't have cake at 3 of them! I treated myself at the last part and had a small piece!

Hope this helps!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Easy. Either swap out the treats for something planned in your diary, or don't restrict food so that you are still eating things you enjoy and can thus easily say no.

I eat "bad" food pretty much every day. I eat within my calories, meet my macros, etc. Depriving yourself of the things you love will not help you in your weight loss journey over the long haul.
  • JDownie91
    JDownie91 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input. I've tried some of those ideas, its just that when I see the sweets, I forget my goals and dont think about how I can "fit it in" :( It is discouraging when I put it into my diary and I realize how far I have gone from my plans/goals
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I have a little talk with myself saying I cant eat like that any more. I don't want to be fat so I can eat 1/2 a cupcake and log and someone told me today that stuff will hurt you get out of there. We have to set boundaries with ourselves saying No and sticking with it. If you really want it, eat small amount so you don't deprive yourself.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher and there are often boxes of donuts in the faculty lounge. I just remind myself that I don't eat that way any more and turn around and walk out. When I go back to my classroom, I know that I have a baggie of angel food cake, or a pre-measured number of ginger snaps or a nectarine tucked on the credenza.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I read that many people who are people pleasers end up eating more or what they don't really want just to make other people comfortable.