A bit worried

Options
I lost 3 pounds this week. It's making me a little nervous, especially since I'm on my period, which normally bloats me, and because I thought I'd eaten over my allowance this week, and haven't done much exercise.

I've also been suffering from something like suspected oesophagitis for six weeks or so, and am on pills to help (it felt like I was choking when I ate, is still causing me lots of digestive problems). I had an endoscopy just before this to check for something else (everything's come back clear) but they, and my doctor about the 'oesophagitis', did ask about unintentional weight loss. I've said no, because the weight I've lost HAS been intentional, but now I'm a little concerned it might be more than that.

Even though I guesstimated some of what I ate this week, I haven't done much exercise and I ate quite a lot (ate out twice). I shouldn't have lost three whole pounds unless I got it drastically wrong and/or underate and exercised way more than I did. Should I go to the doctor and ask, or might this be a one-off random week and I'm panicking over nothing?

Replies

• pj27559
    pj27559 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Don't worry
    Do watch the situation over the next few weeks and raise it with the Doctor if you see consistent unexpected losses week after week.

I recently took 2 months off work, due to acid reflux.

in that time I upped my calories by 200 per day, during a period when I was seeing no weight loss.

Guess what?

When I returned to work and weighed myself on the same set of scales thatI had been using previously I find that I have lost a stone in 8 weeks, where I was previously not losing at all.

Now I don't know if to stick with MFPs numbers or increase my calories by 200 or so?
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Thanks PJ - I'm set to lose 1.5 pounds a week at 1400 calories, so 2 is not necessarily unusual (I've mostly been losing 2, with one week of 1 and a few 3s over the last few months, but 3 if it repeats does concern me as it's a lot!

I'm sorry to hear that - I know how awful it is, going through it at the moment! I'm not sure what to suggest for you either! I suppose you might as well...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It sounds as if this is a normal pattern on your weight loss, as you have your goals set pretty aggressively.
  • pensierobello
    Options
    Really? I'm not trying to do anything crazy, though, I'm more than happy with a pound a week!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    I'm set to lose 1.5 pounds a week at 1400 calories, so 2 is not necessarily unusual (I've mostly been losing 2, with one week of 1 and a few 3s over the last few months
  • pensierobello
    Options
    Yeah, I know, but I mean I'm not gunning for that, I eat over quite regularly and I've not been doing much exercise beyond 30 mins of walking for the last couple of months, so I never expect to lose that much! Maybe I'll up my calories and slow it down a bit. I don't want saggy skin...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    Awesome decision! You know how they say the less you have to lose the lower your goal should be. You want to have something sustainable, so you get to keep this!
  • pensierobello
    Options
    Totally. This is the first time in my life I've lost weight without it being through a severe illness or near-death accident so I definitely want to keep this going :) I'm seven pounds away from going below the weight I can't remember being beneath, which is huge! Just so long as it's me and not health issues!