Menopause related Weight Gain - How do I lose weight now?

Options
Is it POSSIBLE to lose weight while transitioning into Menopause? What gives? I used to be able to lose weight through restriction and exercise and that is not currently doing the trick for me. As a matter of fact, suddenly it seems so easy to gain weight. My appetite has most definitely increased and my joints, bones and muscles are achy and sore and don't recover easily after exercise. Has anyone had experience with weight loss during menopause and how did you do it?

Replies

• julesg100
    julesg100 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 51 and in perimenopause and I'm also hypothyroid. I had put on 10 lbs. the last two years and my clothes were getting too tight, so that was my signal to do something about it.

I have been carefully tracking my calories on MFP and keeping tabs on my calories burned using my Fitbit and I have lost 5 pounds in the past month. It is definitely very doable. Figure out your goal using MFP or the TDEE method, weigh everything you eat and log accurately, have a consistent deficit and you will lose. Add in some exercise and it will help boost your metabolism.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Read my profile. :)
    I will be 56 next week .
    Went thru menopause at 50.
    I have lost 41 lbs since then.
    Very little effort over all that time but slowly made changes to what I was eating and how much.
    Log and weigh everything !
    You will see results.
    Since April of this year have lost 9-10 lbs.
    I used to think , so I am 50+ now and this is just the way it is going to be.
    Wrong !
    Good luck on your journey. You can do this !
  • JeanCricket
    JeanCricket Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm 53, started menopause 4 years ago and just lost my "menopause 12 pounds" by adhering to my calorie allotment here on MFP and exercising moderately (especially walking 5x/week). Lost the first 2 pounds on my own in June but stalled :-(. Then found MFP in early July and lost those last 10 pounds over 6-7 weeks :-) Now I'm learning to maintain, which I'm relying on my friends here to help motivate and support me with ...

It really is quite doable :-). And we'll all be cheering you on! Send me a friend request :-)

You can do this!

Jean
  • KathyPBiles
    KathyPBiles Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Great information!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I agree with JeanCricket and Pita. I'm 53 and have lost 51 lbs in the past 9 months. I track everything I eat keeping between 1200 and 1400 calories and work out 6 days a week. I work out for fitness and count calories to lose weight. I'm at a weight now that makes me happy, haven't weighed this little since I was in high school.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I am 58 and went through menopause 5 years ago. I am actually finding losing weight fairly easy. I log faithfully, get exercise in, and eat to my macros.

Another benefit of menopause: the monthly bloat is gone and I don't have to worry about leakage when working out. It is a wonderful time: too old to need sanitary protection and too young for incontinence protection.
  • layla_luvyah
    layla_luvyah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am so happy you asked this question, I have been in a serious rut...I am 45 yrs old, for 2 years now I have been in pre-menopausal mode.
    My experience at this moment has been extremely difficult...I am suffering in silence because whenever I do mention it to anyone its dismissed because I'm fairly young....No I'm not. It's now day 56 since I have been on MFP and haven't lost any thing that actually stays off...the sweating, exercising and eating right, is very frustrating for me right now.
    So thank very much ladies for letting me know its doable. I may have to take a different approach and really look into weighing my food and looking at my calorie intake.

Thanks alot! :flowerforyou:
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I was stunned last spring when I weighed more than ever before. I had gradually gained about 10 pounds with no significant changes to my diet or exercise. I'm just about done losing that.

The sad truth is I can't eat as many calories as I used to. I'm sure my metabolism changed. So, it's been an adjustment, but logging everything here on MFP really helps. I have a much better idea of how much I can eat and maintain my weight.
  • divajoni
    divajoni Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    hi there... i am 53, and i will be soon reaching my first year in menopause (unless auntie flo makes a surprise visit, then clock starts over again!). I have been working at losing weight for 2.5 years... and I, too, was worried about the menopause barring me from weight loss at the beginning of my endeavor.. you hear so much about it... it's downright scary!.

I am happy to report that I am down 33 pounds (18 to go!). Losing is slower, for sure... and you have to eat less and exercise more than the younger gals... but with consistency, it will come off. i had a 6 MONTH plateau... that was TOUGH. But i kept at it... especially strength training to build muscle. The weight started to come back off again over the last few months.

stay positive, focus on instilling healthy habits (instead of the scale), and you will get there!! :)
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I have been in full menopause since I turned 40, now 51. I was initially besieged by well-meaning friends/family particularly the older of the ladies saying stuff of along the lines of ...."You can kiss the idea of losing weight goodbye, especially now your are on HRT....it is too difficult may impossible to lose the extra poundage".

This along with a whole other bunch of attitudes falls squarely into the realms of old-wives tales and losing weight no matter what your age and life circumstances or medical conditions is very achievable and there are many examples of us ladies reaching remarkable new heights of body composition, fitness and general "Whoo hoo hottness" all over these boards.

As others have chimed in with their own stories - the only thing that I'd like to add in that as I aged and changed I had to pay closer attention to my Macro ratios to get the best possible outcome and there was definitely room to use yourself as your own experiment on what works best for your body.

Some ladies find that they need to watch the level of Carbs in their overall diet, others (like me feel and do better with leaning out and maximising the most out of exercise if I keep a really close eye on a higher protein intake) also investigate the health benefits of dietary fats like coconut oil, nut butters etc.

Menopause isn't the end but the beginning of an exciting new chapter of your life.....a great time to really understand your body and how best it responds to the nutrients that you ingest.

It is never a reason to give up, or buy into the "to difficult, can't do it" camp. Your losses may be slower than someone who is younger - no surprise there, but losses and the chance to really get a clear understanding of issues such as bone density, osteporosis, (Sp), any blood sugar issues etc etc, think of menopause as the impetous to carry your forward into the next chapter of your life.

All the best
  • milliondays
    milliondays Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Wow, I could have written that post. If I had eaten the same way, say, 10 years ago, I would have been a stick. Now I gain with half the amount I used to scarf down. Hunger, frustration, feeling of hey this is so unfair...
  • JSJAT
    JSJAT Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thx for the encouragement, I feel better already!
  • JSJAT
    JSJAT Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thx for the tips. How much of a calorie deficit helped you lose weight? I aim for 1,200 calories a day and I'm still not losing weight. Of course, I'm not always able to stay within that amount, but on average I do and I'm unable to lose weight.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I am 43 now and went though menopause at 40. I've lost all my weight while eating 1600-1900 calories a day. It takes finding your sweet spot for a calorie deficit, and watching the overall trend so you know when you need to tweak it slightly. But yes you can lose weight, log everything, find an activity you enjoy and do it.
  • christinesusie
    Options
    Easy paleo recipes for losind weight and diet see more bit.ly/1AFBSEh
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options
    I am 52 and perimenopausal. Three months ago I went lo carb and one month ago found a group on Facebook called Optimal Ketogenic Living and tweaked my protein/carb/fat grams and now I am feeling GREAT and losing a steady 1-2 lbs a week and sometimes, like this past week, a little more. It is completely different than how I was eating....low fat, high fiber, 5 meals a day....and I had to unlearn stuff but WOW. My sex hormones and my guy are loving it. He says people our age don't do it every day, I say Don't care, get your sexy self over here NOW.
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I thought it would be more difficult now that I am 47 and perimenopausal but it really hasn't been with the help of calorie counting and regular exercise. I have lost over 39 kilos and haven't been this weight since I was 25 years old.
    I still eat all the same food I ate before, just less of it and I move more ( cardio 30-40 mins every second day and some weights).
    Good luck!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    45 here and it is WAY harder than it used to be to see results, still they're possible. Had I did what I've been doing for the last 3.5 months 5 years ago, I would have been at goal and then some. I figure we're like fine aged wine now, take longer to cook. Keep on trudging!
  • JennInTx
    JennInTx Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this question. And thanks to everyone that replied. Karenhs2... found the group and joined. Wonderful information! Thanks for posting.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    It's not impossible to lose weight during menopause, it may take longer and you have to be more diligent, but it can be done. I've been having symptoms since my early thirties, but they became more serious a couple of years ago about the time I started my weight loss process, it took about 18 months but I lost 100lbs. It's been a year, my weight has fluctuated, but I've basically kept it off. I would also recommend picking up some weights.