White hairs...

Options

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    After years of getting weaves and trying to mix in color with my gray hair, I decided to let it go natural. As it turns out, the white at the temples blends very nicely with some of the dark blond in the back and I actually get tons of complement on my color. It's beautiful and it's free.

There are quite a few more things to worry about in life than gray hair. I'm grateful to have made it to the age where I have it.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Choose to age gracefully.

This. All Day.

No! :angry:

:laugh:

OP I don't think I would dye my hair for a few gray hairs if I had a nice color naturally. For me I had mousy brown hair once I hit my teens. During the summer I would get compliments when it lightened up. So I started lightening my hair so long ago no one knows what color my hair is naturally.

As for growing old gracefully, what exactly does that mean? Old is 99, not 36! :laugh:
  • MariadfdCruz
    MariadfdCruz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am 44 years old and since 32 years old I started to have some grey hair. I hate it, then, I hate it now. I chose to be using those shampoos at home with some color for the first white hairs. I do it in a relaxing bath, with a hair plastic cap after using the colour. It is nice colouring your hair, because you get different and these colourings comes out with some washing, what makes it pretty safe if you don't like that specific color. When I was 32 years old I painted my hair in the hairdresser and I hated the reddish color, but I had to wear it for some months. So, colouring shampoo is better for me, until I have all my hair grey :tongue:

When the color comes out and you still need to get a new one, just don't worry and accept your first white hairs. As people say here, there are a lot of young people with a lot of white hairs. If you just have a couple or 6, it is for sure ok. Don't take them out, if you do, there's a saying for 1 you take out 2 extra comes. :drinker:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    36 here, too.. but no white hair yet. :( I hope I get a head full of white hairs as pretty as Emmylou Harris'!

I hear ya. Should my hair go sufficiently silver, I'll dye it allllll silver :laugh:
    Looking up youtube videos, I had no idea it was a 'thing' & thought you just either had pretty white, or dingey grey. Now I know you don't have to be stuck with a less than flattering shade of grey :wink:
  • Anahita_Swims
    Anahita_Swims Posts: 4,127 Member
    Options
    i started going grey at like 24

i dye my hair with weaved in with 3 different colours highlights and lowlights its takes a bloody long time like 3 /4 hours to get my hair done cause i have a lot of it and its really expensive but I persist because i see it not as covering the white hairs but making them blend in

I started doing it with my pupils at school started to notice i was was going grey :D

abd01373-7897-43b3-907f-8241b22c5712_zps1939b274.jpg

i need to get my hair done again but i haven't found a good hairdresser where i live so i go back to my parents and its there turn to visit me so ill prolly get it done again in a few weeks ill just rock my roots till then :o
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,277 Member
    Options
    I too am 36 and have noticed several recurring greys in my part, sideburns, and eyebrows. I thought I would hate it, but it's not too bad. Dye if you wish, but don't do it in a way the is unmanagable or too expensive because once you start, you'll be doing it for life, or at the very least, many more years. I'm holding off for now.

Thanks to those that have posted their streaks and greys! And thanks for that Helen Mirren pic, she'z freakin' gorgeous! Would love to age a tenth that gracefully.
  • Gawanne
    Gawanne Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My mother lived to be 91 and hadn't any grey or white at all in her wavy strawberry blonde hair, neither did her sister at 96. She had chestnut hair. As for me, well at 78 I've got the odd one here and there, but it's really all down to what one inherits. It has a down side too. People tend to notice hair more than ones face so one is assumed to be younger than ones age which is a damn nuisance when trying to get the senior discounts! Anyway I've saved a bundle on hair dyes and hairdressers over the years which is a plus for me if not for the manufacturers or hairdressers.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm only 21 and I'm getting a very good gray streak in my bangs. It first started coming in when I was around 18, and I did pluck them at first. But there were more and more, and I didn't want a thin patch or something so I stopped - definitely don't regret it! I think it looks kind of cool with my dark hair.

You will get more gray/white hairs, so I suggest you stop plucking them - better gray than balding.
  • Nickle526
    Nickle526 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite of most people because I STOPPED dying my hair when I noticed grays :laugh:

My grays are super shiny silver, and I love it! They started about a year ago at 28 and are progressing quite quickly. I have always thought gray hair is beautiful, and have looked foward to going gray. Lucky me!
  • irleshay
    irleshay Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You think you have it bad? I got my first greys at puberty! :laugh: A family trait my mom and siblings share.

Some people also told me to embrace my greys and be a "silver fox." I don't have enough grey for that, so I'd be a salt-and-pepper fox for the next 20 years. Others would ask me why I don't dye. Until about age 30, it was only a handful of white hairs so I ignored them, and then to my horror there were a few grays sneaking in at my temples and crown.

The advice I got, which I still use, is to use foam dyes (less drip) and to go a shade lighter than your natural color, otherwise it'll be too dark. My hair is black, but I go for a dark brown dye. If you're the kind of person who prefers to go natural or ammonia-free with beauty products, just know they might not work. I used an $18 one from Whole Foods and returned it when my greys became visible 3 days later, and had the same experience with Clairol's Natural Instincts. So, chemicals and ammonia for me. I was also curious about how often I can dye, and people tell me, whenever your roots start to show. You can also use a root touch-up for those in-between sessions if you want to instead.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Yeah give it up. Lol. It's only the beginning.

The only real option is to deal with it or start coloring your hair.

This.

I'm 37 and started finding stray grey hairs back in high school. It didn't become a big issue until I was around 27-29 and really could see a patch at both temples. Honestly though over the past decade it hasn't gotten any worse, still just the patches and some isolated greys along the top of my hair if I part it. I color my hair though.

All my friends in the 34-37 range have at least SOME grey hair. My mom didn't find her first one until she was well into her 40s though.
  • janine2355
    janine2355 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    HI Fran. I'm 38, will be 39 in November and yes I get grays. They are not really bad yet. I only get them on the top of my head and a little towards the back of my head so here is what I do: I go to my local hairdresser and get my hair professionally dyed twice a year. She dyes it my natural hair color so its my exact shade. Then, in between, I just buy the Clairol roots touch up in dark brown and just have to dye the roots about every two months. It's very easy. Put it this way, my 14 year old daughter puts it on my hair. Actually, I have done it myself, but I have her do it now because I don't want to miss a spot.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Mine started showing about age 25. Now my sideburns have really started going white and noticed my beard is now too.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I found my first grey hair the other day. I was really upset. To make it worse, it was a pube. To make it EVEN worse, it was on my pizza.
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm 25 and this is what I'm rocking. :happy:

45455.jpg

^I've had the same thing since I was 22, only a few inches closer to my face. I call it my skunk trail. But I've been dying my hair since high school, so it's only noticeable if my roots grow out too far. It does lose color somewhat more quickly, but I use a temp dye (RAW color, I go black) every other week or so, so it gets refreshed pretty often.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I've had white hairs forever. I do dye my hair occasionally but just because I like to, not (entirely) because of them. I like being a redhead!
  • Coltsforlife
    Options
    mine started at 20 ,
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Started going grey at 30, same time as I had kids. Coincidence? - I think not!!! Did highlights for a few years, now I have just gone blonde, something i always wanted to do. My natural colour was dark brown, now I am over 50% grey. I think i will be a red head next. Do whatever makes you feel good about yourself. Grey is just another colour.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,277 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I found my first grey hair the other day. I was really upset. To make it worse, it was a pube. To make it EVEN worse, it was on my pizza.
    :laugh:
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I plucked out all the ones in my hair. Decided to leave the ones in my beard.