Hey guys I need some help.

Options
Hey everyone,
I hope you are having a good weekend! I am just writing because I need some support right now. I have been working really hard lately to loose weight and it has been going pretty good, I started around 240 in February and I am down to around 202 now. I saw the scale hit under 200 for the first time a couple days ago, then back up again today. I am just getting very tired of trying to lose weight. It's so much effort, and I feel deprived a lot of the time. Does anyone have some good motivation? What do you do when you get in a slump?

Thanks,

Lizzy

Replies

• Stella_Mayfair
    Stella_Mayfair Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Honestly as ur MFP pal, you have been my inspiration. So what can I say to u? You have been shedding weight like crazy-I was worried. But we all hit that pause. I know it is hell, but u will pass it. Try mixing up ur eating routine or workout routine to trick ur metab and also to have fun with ur own new lifestyle. It is so easy to make this routine a dread. Try spicing it up. New foods, a few new workout. I KNOW you can do it!!!

Hugz
  • gcbma
    gcbma Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you feel deprived, you should look at how you're going about it from a different view. I of course don't eat every little craving I get, but I do enjoy an occasional treat. Perhaps you can incorporate your lifestyle so that you can have those things. Either way, it can be very difficult. Good luck!
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    I hope you are having a good weekend! I am just writing because I need some support right now. I have been working really hard lately to loose weight and it has been going pretty good, I started around 240 in February and I am down to around 202 now. I saw the scale hit under 200 for the first time a couple days ago, then back up again today. I am just getting very tired of trying to lose weight. It's so much effort, and I feel deprived a lot of the time. Does anyone have some good motivation? What do you do when you get in a slump?

Thanks,

Lizzy

Take a break for a couple of weeks. Continue to exercise, but eat at maintenance and don't try to lose for those 2 wks. When the break is over, get right back to dieting!
  • skjones0323
    skjones0323 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    What I keyed in on what you said is that you feel deprived a lot of the time. My first question to you is what is causing you to feel deprived? Are you hungry? Then, for me ways that I stay feeling full is to make sure I am eating plenty of protein and drinking lots of water. Are you focusing on what you cannot eat or are not eating? Then, I would focus on changing your thinking about your new healthier diet and how the foods that make us overweight are so terribly bad for us. I would really be interested in hearing your thoughts about what makes you feel deprived? I am really just starting my weight loss--still have about 60 pounds to go out of 80. I am an emotional eater and have been dealing mostly with my triggers and trying to find other ways to soothe myself other than with food. Susan
  • jmmurray203
    jmmurray203 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Are you really only eating 1200 calories a day? That is brutal, no wonder you feel deprived.
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hi. I too have hit a "pause" after doing this for 8 months and losing over 50lbs. What I am doing for a while is eating at maintenance calories and keeping up doing my daily exercise. I do not plan to eat back my exercise calories. I am finding, mentally, that this is helping me to feel more "in control". The mental part of losing weight is harder, for me anyway. I will take this little maintenance break, then I will resume a slow and steady loss when I am mentally ready. This may help you. Don't give up though. You can get through this.

ETA - my ticker is in Kg as I am living in Australia. :)
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Thanks,

Lizzy

Take a break for a couple of weeks. Continue to exercise, but eat at maintenance and don't try to lose for those 2 wks. When the break is over, get right back to dieting!

Oh, I see I am not the only one who thinks this. That is encouraging!!
  • abear007
    abear007 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am just getting very tired of trying to lose weight. It's so much effort, and I feel deprived a lot of the time. Does anyone have some good motivation? What do you do when you get in a slump?

Thanks,

Lizzy
    Losing weight can be one of the most frustrating experiences, trying one's patience like nothing else. Advice? Acknowledge this and be aware of it going in. Learn to recognize the difference between cravings of the mind and actual hunger. Learn to recognize your relationship with food - do you eat to sustain yourself or do you eat because you're bored or looking for a reward?

It's a battle that I'm going through right now as I introduce intermittent fasting into my lifestyle. (Fast 20 hours, eat during 4 hour window) Am I really hungry? Nope. Do I want to eat? Yep. In fact, as I write this I'm trying an extra extension - 30 hour fast just to get over a weight hurdle I've been stuck at for over a week.

Another thing that helps me is recognizing that this is less about loosing weight and much more about being healthy and avoiding things like diabetes, heart disease, cancer, etc..
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Are you really only eating 1200 calories a day? That is brutal, no wonder you feel deprived.

^^^This and this:
    Maybe if you feel deprived, you should look at how you're going about it from a different view. I of course don't eat every little craving I get, but I do enjoy an occasional treat. Perhaps you can incorporate your lifestyle so that you can have those things. Either way, it can be very difficult. Good luck!

Also, why does your daily goal change so frequently? It seems like you're making it harder than it has to be. I'm at 160 and losing on over 1500cals/day. Go into your settings and change it to lose 1lb a week and just leave it until it tells you to update. You'll get to eat more, feel less deprived, and still lose weight. It really doesn't have to be so hard. This is coming from the laziest person ever who hates to exercise and does the bare minimum, and goes for fast food almost ever day. Trust me. It doesn't have to be hard and depriving.

ETA: *pfft* Just checked mine and it changes for exercise. You should still have a higher starting goal than 1200, though...
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options

^^^This and this:

Also, why does your daily goal change so frequently? It seems like you're making it harder than it has to be. I'm at 160 and losing on over 1500cals/day. Go into your settings and change it to lose 1lb a week and just leave it until it tells you to update. You'll get to eat more, feel less deprived, and still lose weight. It really doesn't have to be so hard. This is coming from the laziest person ever who hates to exercise and does the bare minimum, and goes for fast food almost ever day. Trust me. It doesn't have to be hard and depriving.

ETA: *pfft* Just checked mine and it changes for exercise. You should still have a higher starting goal than 1200, though...

I agree with both of these. My settings are set at sedentary started out at 1590 calories a day. Now I'm at 1480. Still losing here. I think when you set your goals to 1200 calories trying to lose more weight faster you can burn out. I would re-adjust to only 1 lb. a week. We need to be the "slow and steady turtle" here.
  • liz23zy
    liz23zy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much girl :)!! Sometimes you just need to hear that support. You rock!

Honestly as ur MFP pal, you have been my inspiration. So what can I say to u? You have been shedding weight like crazy-I was worried. But we all hit that pause. I know it is hell, but u will pass it. Try mixing up ur eating routine or workout routine to trick ur metab and also to have fun with ur own new lifestyle. It is so easy to make this routine a dread. Try spicing it up. New foods, a few new workout. I KNOW you can do it!!!

Hugz
  • liz23zy
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice everyone. Maybe I do need to adjust, at least for a little while to let me recoup and whatnot. Thanks for all the support. It's so great to be able to come on here and get advice and encouragement from everyone on here!

^^^This and this:

I agree with both of these. My settings are set at sedentary started out at 1590 calories a day. Now I'm at 1480. Still losing here. I think when you set your goals to 1200 calories trying to lose more weight faster you can burn out. I would re-adjust to only 1 lb. a week. We need to be the "slow and steady turtle" here.
  • Justcallme_J
    Justcallme_J Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi Lizzie! First, I wanted to say I'm sorry that you're having a tough time. I also wanted to congratulate you on your loss so far! You've obviously worked really hard to get to this point, so maybe it's time reward yourself with something to celebrate your accomplishments so far. That might help to give you a mental boost to persevere.

I also thought I would share what has been helping me. I made a list to look at when I'm struggling with motivation. The list includes everything I can think of that is a consequence of being overweight. I call it the trade off and use the things on it to remind me of what I'm trading or giving up by giving into food cravings and overeating. I put all kinds of things on it from serious ones like health issues to fun ones like not being able to go to amusement parks. I still really struggle at times, but it does help to read through all of those when I feel like totally blowing my calorie goal for the day. Most of the time I'm able to see that the trade off isn't worth it and resist temptation. Anyway, I just I would share in case my crazy way of getting through moments like this could help someone else. Good luck! You've made it this far, so you've already proven you can do this!
  • zac775
    zac775 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hi lizzie,

We all go through that, you can try to change your training habits, if you do the smae thing all the time the body can get used to it, so shock it every now and again try some HIT this can even be done when walking. And dont foget to treat yourself every now and again to keep you sane and focused, alao what is you short term goal if it 20lb then thats a big ask. Set smaller goals, chive them then aim for the next one as that will keep you focused.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    :smile:
    Firstly i know how you feel.
    This is a marathon not a sprint.
    Our internal critic will say anything to help us fail.
    I am fighting the desire to stop. I am almost at one year of change and I am trying to keep going - I am keeping going.
    The honeymoon is over perhaps.
    Luckily someone here on MFP has on their page - unfortunately I have forgotten her name so can't acknowledge her correctly.
    Shes says, Being fat is hard. Losing weight is hard. Exercising is hard.
    Choose your hard.

What awaits me if I give up?
    Obesity and bad health.
    If I put in the effort, and yes the hard effort,
    I can be smaller and move better and be healthy.
    :bigsmile:
  • Veronnie87
    Veronnie87 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    First of all, CONGRATS! You have clearly worked really hard to get down as far as you have and that's amazing.

Make sure you're actually eating enough. Trying to take away too much too fast can put the brakes on in a MAJOR way. Trying a more moderated approach by actually upping your calories (scary, I know!) can help push you past your plateau.

Try mixing it up. Take a different exercise class, change your weight routine or buy a different workout DVD or try throwing in some early morning power yoga for 15 minutes before you get dressed. Check YouTube for some awesome yoga videos, I particularly like any of the PsycheTruth ones, the girls are so sweet and explain things really well.

If you feel overly deprived then you risk overindulging if you ever do have some of the not-so-good-for-you foods that you might be craving. Try kids portions or share something. The first bite (or two) is the best and honestly, sometimes I will throw away the rest because those couple of bites were really all I wanted. As so many people have said, this is a marathon and if you want to maintain this, THIS IS YOUR LIFE NOW. It has to be something that you can live with longterm. I know for a fact that I refuse to live the rest of my life without ice cream, so I have to find ways to fit it into my life and my calories.

If you find your food is too bland, experiment with herbs and spices. For the most part they are calorie-free and can make a ton of difference to plain meals. Chicken with steamed vegetables sounds blah but add some cilantro, a bit of fish sauce and some fresh lime juice and all of sudden we're having a party! :) Indian spices in particular have mega flavour for a minimal amount and a healthy, homemade chickpea or lentil curry is a great way to get in some fibre AND tastiness. Fresh basil with tomatoes and bocconcinis with a little balsamic drizzle is a fantastic lunch on a hot day with a little crispbread or something on the side.

Lastly, KEEP YOUR HEAD UP! You have come so far and it is really inspiring to see someone working as hard as you are. You might not lose steadily as you play around with some different options and that's ok. Don't panic, just keep going and it will work itself out in a little while.
  • liz23zy
    Options
    THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL OF THE HELP EVERYONE!!! It really does help to hear support from you all, and the advice is great!