Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I'm still losing weight but don't want to!

Replies

• ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    First - congratulations on your weight loss. That takes fantastic dedication and persistence.

You probably need to experiment more with what level of calories is really maintenance for you. Try gradually increasing your calories until you see the results you want.

Also, are there any exercises you can do right now? Body composition is probably a more important issue now than weight. Getting adequate protein and doing strength exercises will help you add some muscle along with fat as you put on weight.

Thank you, it's been a tough year! I love being smaller. I was pretty active with the weightloss journey using gym equipment advised by my surgeon, weights & swimming. I can't wait to go back as really miss it.

Originally to maintain I was having 1,600 and that worked fine (with dietician assistence). I was maintaining that til my op a month ago and lost a further 6lbs through lack of food for a week apart from tiny portions of soft food. For the last 2 weeks I've been able to eat normal again and just don't seem to be gaining.

Regarding exercise I can't atm, I'm awaiting rehab physio for my knee joint. Any suggestions on what to do? I would ask my dietician but been signed off from her now.x

For your stats, situation, and experience, 1600 seems like a reasonable maintenance target, so going a bit above that would likely give you a slow gain. It takes some experimentation. Since it's only been two weeks that you've started trying to gain, I'd say patience will be a good friend. Two weeks of nothing happening even when doing everything right is common. Here's a blog I wrote on that a while ago:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-path-of-success-631437

Since you are rehabbing a knee, seated dumbell work might be a way to get at your target areas while eating at a surplus and meeting your macro targets. Best to check-in with your doctor on any plan - maybe call the office with a question.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Might want to make your diary public -- we might be able to suggest a few change-ups in your diet.

Any chance you can do dumbbell exercises on your back or sitting up? That would help replace and tone the muscles in your upper body, and having some toned pecs would help make the girls a bit perkier.

I don't really want to make it public & I don't have pecs I'm a women lol! I can give you a idea this is yesterday's:
    Morning
    bowl of either 30g Special K berrys with 125mls skimmed milk 1 piece of granary bread toasted with 10g clover light and marmite
    Mug of Nescafé with 1 sweetener and 20mls milk

Lunch
    2 crumpets with light salmon and dil Philly

Dinner
    Pork chop without the fat (never liked it) with 100g oven chips
    And selection of veg and grainy mustard

cake bar for desert with some grapes

Snacks
    Fruit, nuts and sunbite crisps!

Trust me, you've got pecs -- they're just under your boobs (guess the term "girls" to refer to boobs never made it across the pond).

Since I'm limited to generalities here, I'd say cut out the diet food (skim milk, "lite" this and that) and take it from there. Or just be patient and wait to get clearance to exercise; I suspect a lot of your recent weight loss is due to muscle wastage from inactivity...no real point in replacing the lost muscle with fat.
  • Since you are rehabbing a knee, seated dumbell work might be a way to get at your target areas while eating at a surplus and meeting your macro targets. Best to check-in with your doctor on any plan - maybe call the office with a question.

What's macro targets?
  • The salmon and dil Philly I've only found in light!
    I don't like butter, always used clover light as not a real fan of marg etc. I have skimmed milk as that's what we have in the house and I'm not buying it plus I'm on a really limited income ????x
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Trust me, you've got pecs -- they're just under your boobs (guess the term "girls" to refer to boobs never made it across the pond).

I'm not sure what direction you're talking, but on both sides of the Atlantic I think most people would find using "girls" rather infantile and offensive, which I'm sure wasn't your intention.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Yes increase your calories
  • ihad
    Since you are rehabbing a knee, seated dumbell work might be a way to get at your target areas while eating at a surplus and meeting your macro targets. Best to check-in with your doctor on any plan - maybe call the office with a question.

What's macro targets?

Those are the targets MFP gives you for meeting protein, fats, and carbohydrates. You should consider the protein and fat targets as minimums - your body needs adequate protein and fat for basic functioning.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Track your calories and see what you're eating for a couple of weeks. Then eat more. The more you eat, the more you weigh and the less you eat, the less you weigh. If you want to gain some weight, eat some more. Add butter and olive oil to your cooking and have an extra bowl of ice cream here and there.
  • logg1e
    Track your calories and see what you're eating for a couple of weeks. Then eat more. The more you eat, the more you weigh and the less you eat, the less you weigh. If you want to gain some weight, eat some more. Add butter and olive oil to your cooking and have an extra bowl of ice cream here and there.

I think you may have missed some of the posts on page 1.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member

I think I may have looked at all of them. What's you're point? Be blunt and say what you mean or say nothing. Implying something vague gets you nowhere.
  • [/quote]

Those are the targets MFP gives you for meeting protein, fats, and carbohydrates. You should consider the protein and fat targets as minimums - your body needs adequate protein and fat for basic functioning.
    [/quote]

I manage all the points, occasionally going over carbs fat and sugars but not proteins as it seems very high and I never seem to make it! Any ideas?x
  • ihad

[/quote]

I manage all the points, occasionally going over carbs fat and sugars but not proteins as it seems very high and I never seem to make it! Any ideas?x
    [/quote]

If you plan to do any strength workouts, MFP's macro setting for protein can actually be a little low. Things like greek yogurt, chicken, pork, turkey, and cottage cheese have lots of protein for the calories. There are also protein powers available that can be used in baking, shakes, and such.
  • logg1e

I think I may have looked at all of them. What's you're point? Be blunt and say what you mean or say nothing. Implying something vague gets you nowhere.

Sorry. To be clearer I remember on the previous page the original poster had said what some of her food preferences were and other posters had already explained about eating more in order to stop the unwanted weight-loss. :smile:
  • [/quote]

If you plan to do any strength workouts, MFP's macro setting for protein can actually be a little low. Things like greek yogurt, chicken, pork, turkey, and cottage cheese have lots of protein for the calories. There are also protein powers available that can be used in baking, shakes, and such.
    [/quote]

I'm not doing any workouts of any sort atm. Like I said I just want to gain to get back to 10stone but want to do it the right way of that makes sense x
  • Track your calories and see what you're eating for a couple of weeks. Then eat more. The more you eat, the more you weigh and the less you eat, the less you weigh. If you want to gain some weight, eat some more. Add butter and olive oil to your cooking and have an extra bowl of ice cream here and there.

Hi I am keeping track using myfitnesspal like I have been since last year. I just want to gain back to 10stone but do it right. I have upped my calories and eating what I term 'naughty' treats. I do use olive oil, but not butter as don't like it x
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    You could try making some shakes if you have a blender, mixing up oats, milk, peanut butter, banana and such things. That will add some healthy calories. Just a few tbsp of peanut butter is 200 odd calories (you could try cashew butter too). Avocado is great and they are not too expensive, you can get 2 for £1 in Asda or lidl I believe. Definitely you can add more nuts. Calorific but not too filling. Full fat yoghurt, try some cheese, as in regular full fat goats cheese or normal run of the mill cheese. Dark chocolate is considered a healthy snack and just a few squares adds 120-140 calories. I get the 81% from Lidl. If you like/eat bread, get some healthy, bakery wholegrain bread and maybe have that alongside your dinner. Oatmeal is a good bedtime snack if you can fit it in and not too expensive. It is a better breakfast than special K too, in terms of nutrients and slow burning energy. You can mix things like nuts, peanut butter, banana etc into that too.

I would not stress, It may just take a little time for your body to catch up to the increase in calories. Oh, and if you like ice cream, plenty people on here indulge in a bowl of that after dinner.
  • It is a better breakfast than special K too, in terms of nutrients and slow burning energy. You can mix things like nuts, peanut butter, banana etc into that too.

I would not stress, It may just take a little time for your body to catch up to the increase in calories. Oh, and if you like ice cream, plenty people on here indulge in a bowl of that after dinner.

I have either that, Cheerios or 2 slices of granary or wholemeal toast with marmite or peanut butter or lime marmalade.
    All nuts seem high on fat though so wasn't sure if they were a good thing? I do have ice cream sometimes but not often tbh x
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    It is a better breakfast than special K too, in terms of nutrients and slow burning energy. You can mix things like nuts, peanut butter, banana etc into that too.

I have either that, Cheerios or 2 slices of granary or wholemeal toast with marmite or peanut butter or lime marmalade.
    All nuts seem high on fat though so wasn't sure if they were a good thing? I do have ice cream sometimes but not often tbh x

Fat is fine. Nuts contain healthy fats. And recent research has been overturning the old thinking on too much fat being detrimental to health.
  • [/quote]
    Fat is fine. Nuts contain healthy fats. And recent research has been overturning the old thinking on too much fat being detrimental to health.
    [/quote]

What about bagged nuts from the supermarket? I assumed they would be bad x
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    According to the Harvard Medical School, you need about 15 cal / lb to maintain weight.
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/healthbeat/HB_web/calorie-counting-made-easy.htm

So being slightly over that would cause you to gain weight.
    Add in some healthy treats like nuts, cheese, peanut butter, fatty fish, use a little more oil to cook your foods, have whole milk instead of skim, 4% cottage cheese instead of nonfat, regular yogurt instead of nonfat, avocado, etc.