Any walkers here?

Options
13»

Replies

• butterflyrae2010
    butterflyrae2010 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    a counter is very beneficial. I have a very physical job where I walk most of my shift. I put a pedometer on and I walk about 10 to 12 hours a night.
  • yanick356
    yanick356 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am a power walker and I do on average 6 miles daily. My weight loss is due to walking and a change in my eating habits. I have not been fitter or stronger in years. I am 53 yrs old. I burn on average 400 calories daily just from walking. I use Runkeeper and it keeps my pace, miles, MPH, calories and routes. I went from a size 14 to size 6 in 5 months. My OW was 132.9 and my CW is 112. My walks are about 1 hr 45 min.

That's helluva walk. Whats OW and CW?
  • tammiet150
    Options
    I got mine to sync up finally lol I like the idea of using my phone but for work it has to be away so none of my steps would be recorded and that is the one challenge my Mom and I are doing is to walk 100 more steps than the day before lol I did get Map my walk for when we take the dogs and we will see how that goes with our lazy old dogs hahaha
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Keep walking. Not just for keeping your body healthy but keeps the mind going aswell. I love just walking and looking around and seeing things that i just wouldn't notice otherwise. I do swim most days, but also walk an average of 12,000 steps (5.5 miles for me) a day. And when I don't I miss it. Weight loss is different for everyone, so if you are feeling better and getting trimmer (use the tape measure as well as the scales) then its good for you. Keep it up.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I walk just about every day, I have worked up to 7 miles, but most days I do 5. I also swim. On swim days I only do 4 miles.
    I use mapmywalk on my phone, it works great and you can sync it to MFP.
  • andy_geek
    andy_geek Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Casual walkers, unite!

My exercise mostly consists of walking, i target about 12k steps a day, lately i've been slacking but recently re-motivated.

Eating healthy with walking several miles a day helps keep the doctor away, or at least keep the doctor happy. :)
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Walking is great for you. I'm a hiker, we have a lot of trails/ mountains. I always carry a backpack that weighs anywhere from 8 to 15 pounds. (Sometimes I put in a 5 pound bag of flour, to help remind me what it feels like to carry extra weight around,lol) I started out walking 20 minutes on the treadmill last winter, I now go anywhere from 2 to 5 hours, depending on the day. It's so much better being outside than the treadmill, for me anyway. Combine your walking with a good diet and you'll feel great. I don't worry too much about getting on the scale, just how I feel. I also try to do different routes at a quicker pace, it's fun to see progress, one route used to be torture, now I power through it, progress feels good. You've come to the right place, good luck with your efforts, have fun!
  • reneelisa1987
    reneelisa1987 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi :wink: I walk everyday and it is my main exercise and I think it helps a lot with my weight loss I've lost 9lbs so far in around 5 weeks. I love walking having my dog helps as I know she has to be walked every day. I set myself a challenge of walking at least 3 miles a day and today I've done 5. I feel great afterwards and would recommend walking to help with weight loss to everyone. Even if at first it doesn't make a difference to the scales it helps with your motivation. I feel now after a walk I have much more energy to do other things even if I don't do them for long periods of time. Like today I did 20 mins of Zumba after my walk. So I suppose what I'm trying to say is I rate walking 100% don't stop :flowerforyou:
  • harpics
    harpics Posts: 1
    Options
    hi, yeah i am walking everyday it is very effective . now i can breath softly because my stomach was reduce from some inches.
    and i found some ease exercices to do after walk or run from here http://fatburnfasteradvice.blogspot.com/ . i think it's working for me . it was hard to start with my stomach but now it is easy.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I walk everyday for at least 45 minutes. Up and down steep hills in our woods. I get credit for 30 stair cases climbed on my fitbit on my walks. I walk everyday, even in subzero temps (except when the snow gets too deep to keep the trails groomed). M-F in addition to my evening walks, I use the elliptical (sometimes the treadmill) in the gym at work for 1 hour.
    Weight loss is mostly about eating at a calorie deficit, but I went from not being able to walk up the stairs without getting winded to most days getting 15,000-18,000 steps. Today I got 27,963 steps. I seldom get over 20,000 steps.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I am a power walker and I do on average 6 miles daily. My weight loss is due to walking and a change in my eating habits. I have not been fitter or stronger in years. I am 53 yrs old. I burn on average 400 calories daily just from walking. I use Runkeeper and it keeps my pace, miles, MPH, calories and routes. I went from a size 14 to size 6 in 5 months. My OW was 132.9 and my CW is 112. My walks are about 1 hr 45 min.

That's helluva walk. Whats OW and CW?

OW Original weight
    CW Current weight
  • dogpaws4ever
    dogpaws4ever Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Someone said that walking is not a great way to do weight loss....I disagree.
    I started walking about the last week of May, so about 3 months now and have lost 46 pounds.
    I had a big drop at first and now average about 2 to 3 pounds most weeks. The goal is to get in just under what MFP has given you for your daily calorie intake and it will also tell you how many minutes you need to exercise with calorie burn, depending on how many days each week you are wanting to walk. I programed in 5 workouts a week, but normally due 6. Make sure you get your rest day in so you don't over do it and hurt yourself. Listen to your body. You don't have a lot to lose really, so you may at first gain a little due to building muscle, that good, for in the end it will help you to lose the weight later.
    Good luck and stay connected with friends on here...They will help you.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I walk every day for a few hours or more at a time. Usually a five mile or so round trip. It helps me to keep my calories in check. The better exercises for toning are to add in swimming and resistance training which I also do.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I've lost all my weight walking briskly... I would suggest you swing your arms... and go at a pace that is brisk (to know if you are brisk enough if you can talk and walk you may need to pick up the pace)... but remember to be comfortable..

For those that dis walking you need to stop that... to be honest... any type of exercise is going to give you quicker results then limiting your food intake alone... and not everyone is build to run... or jog..

Also....: People that walk are not people that can't run.... some of them are people that would rather walk...
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i usually walk for 45-60 minutes per day, not so much for the exercise benefits (which are a bonus) but as a means of keeping my darling dog from climbing the walls and tearing my house apart.
  • sarahkeedwell
    sarahkeedwell Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    all of you are awesome and thank you for all the wisdom! I wish all of you the best on your own journeys! :-D