healthy lunch ideas please!

Options
I need some healthy lunch ideas that i could possibly make the night before or make that will last for a couple days. I love chicken and eat tons of salads but salds get old after awhile!

Replies

• xp0sed
    xp0sed Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I would love some ideas too! I'm a teacher so I would like something that is easy that I could also eat in the classroom if needed. I can heat up food some days too.
  • TarotTrish
    Options
    me too please... i'm so sick of the same foods all the time and i think its what leads me to eat rubbish!!!
  • norcalbeezy
    norcalbeezy Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Spinach salad: Spinach, tuna, tomatoes, celery, and mozarella cheese and try mustard as dressing its pretty yummy.

BBQ Chicken Sandwich:
    1/2 cup shredded cooked chicken
    1/4 cup shredded carrots
    2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
    2 teaspoons light ranch dressing
    1 small whole-wheat sandwich bun
    1 leaf romaine lettuce
    Preparation
    1.Combine chicken, carrots and barbecue sauce in a bowl. Spread ranch dressing on the bun. Top with the chicken mixture and lettuce.
    NutritionPer serving: 323 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 62 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 26 g protein; 4 g fiber; 729 mg sodium; 456 mg potassium.
  • efahey
    efahey Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I stir fry veggies with a bit of rice... keeps me going till dinner time :)

Maybe someone can help with this though - I like eating soup for lunch but find many have a lot of sodium. anyone know some good fairly low cal soups that arent all salt?

xo erin
  • wannalose25
    wannalose25 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    the only alternative is homemade soup
  • momma85
    momma85 Posts: 17
    Options
    my fav is white rice with steamed snow peas and soy sauce (the low sodium one). it's filling and helps keep me from snacking before dinner...
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I just found this recipe I haven't tried but it was in a magazine it looked amazing!!! Im sorry I don't have al the nutrition facts on it!! I plan on making it tomorrow..

Tuna and white bean salad wrapped in lettuce or whatever I guess..

190 Calories
    1g Saturated Fat
    12g Protein
    INGREDIENTS

1 pouch or can (5 oz.) tuna, drained and flaked
    1 garlic clove
    1 Tbsp. lemon juice
    2 Tbsp. olive oil
    1 can (16 oz.) Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
    1/2 red pepper cut in cubes
    1/4 cup chopped red onion
    Fresh Basil, chopped, to taste
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    Lemon zest

DIRECTIONS

Mince garlic and mash to a paste with the back of a spoon. Mix garlic paste with lemon juice, salt and pepper and slowly whisk in olive oil. Toss red pepper, onion, and beans together. Break apart tuna and mix into bean mixture. Add dressing and toss well. Add basil just before serving. Serve at room temperature. Serves 4
  • EvilPirateJohn
    EvilPirateJohn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I make ground turkey tacos with the following:

Pace Hot Picante Sauce
    Jennie-O 93/7 Lean Ground Turkey
    McCormick Hot Taco Seasoning Mix
    Ole Mexican Foods Xtreme Wellness Whole Wheat Tortilla Wrap

They're healthy, tasty, and high in protein and fiber.

Beware, they are high in sodium.
  • kunecke
    Options
    Whatever I make for dinner I divide up the left overs in to smaller portions and freeze them in freezer baggies. This works great on soups, casseroles pretty much anything.
  • johnnieb
    johnnieb Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My go to for lunch is Flat Out Bread (only 90 calories!), spinach and or romaine, hummus -the athenos spicy pepper kind is 50 calories for 2T, shredded broccoli and carrots (walmart has a Marketside Broccoli Slaw), tomatoes, green onion if I have any. What ever veggie you like! It's really filling, you can stuff a lot into that flat out bread!
  • Lflint09
    Options
    I like peppered turkey on Sandwhich Thins (Only 100 calories). Then you can top with as many veggies as you like. I like spinach, red onion, and green bell peppers. Also, if you have room for more calories, a slice of lowfat cheese and a slice of avacado! Delish!

Another thing I do is try to have snacks and stuff to pack for lunch all ready to go. I peel an cut up a bunch of carrots when I bring them home. They're alwasy in the fridge when I am craving something crunchy! I also love cheese sticks and celery with PB.
  • frasergirl
    Options
    Lunch is the hardest meal for me--the easiest thing is a PB sandwich. I need to add more vegetables. It helps if I cook extra for supper and then heat some leftovers . . . so it's a "mini-supper." Also, making a pot of soup just for lunches is helpful.
  • MoSven88
    Options
    I've spent a lot of time searching for quick, easy, packable lunch ideas myself. And these are a few things I've come up with.

* Laughing cow cheese
    * Wheat crackers
    * Olives (Feta stuffed olives can fill you up more and give you that bit of cheese you crave)
    * Yogurt
    * Organic Salad with feta cheese, balsamic dressing, onions, and tomatoes
    * Almonds
    * Rye crispbread crackers
    * Real salsa with black corn chips
    * Hummus (Intimidating at first, but there are so many flavors!) with carrots, broccoli, celery, tomatoes etc.
    *To-Go soups and a fruit

I've found that eating what I want- but in the serving size amount that I *can* have, helps. Because that way I'm still eating what I crave, but I'm watching HOW MUCH I'm having.

I suggest checking out ivillage.com - they usually have lots of healthy snack and meal ideas.