Does anyone have PCOS?

Options
I have PCOS and anyone I know who has it has a really hard time losing wieght. Does anyone else have this problem and how do you overcome it? My doctor says it can be done but you just have to work harder and once the weight comes off, its easier to manage. I would like to know anyone elses feedback :)

Replies

• angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with it 5 years ago. It really does make losing weight harder but it can be done. You just have to keep at it and be VERY persistant. It is a daily struggle but one that must be endured...Good luck on your journey.
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have it as well, and yes it can be difficult to lose weight. I am currently trying to eat less carbs to help make the weight loss easier, but definitely having a hard time b/c i love carbs lol
  • 623Hernandez
    Options
    I do! I do! Friend me!!!
  • JoyBellz
    JoyBellz Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed at age 18 and yes, it does make losing weight much more difficult. I GAINED 15lbs watching calories and carbs. My doctor says it MUST be no more than 1200 calories a day, but I am finding that extremely difficult as well. However, everyone is different so what works for one of us might not work for someone else. Are you taking metformin? Studies have shown that metformin helps with the PCOS b/c a big part of the problem w/ PCOS is insulin resistance. If you aren't taking it, its something to look into. It is a diabetic medication but can be prescribed to you even if you are not diabetic. Good luck and hang in there.
  • tallib
    tallib Posts: 13
    Options
    Yup, got diagnosed september 2009 so have only known for about 4 months.
    Best advice I can give it to try and follow a high protein/low carb diet. For me, this means equal protein/carbs. Its a balancing act, and exercise has made an enormous difference, even just a few minutes of low impact yoga everyday and Ive dropped 10lbs!
    I`ve just been prescribed Metformin- an anti-diabetic drug which apparently can improve weight loss in pcos suffers, although again, everyone is different. Im just hoping I dont get any of the nasty side effects!
    Good Luck :)
  • northernchic
    northernchic Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and anyone I know who has it has a really hard time losing wieght. Does anyone else have this problem and how do you overcome it? My doctor says it can be done but you just have to work harder and once the weight comes off, its easier to manage. I would like to know anyone elses feedback :)

Hi there,
    I was diagnosed about a year or so ago and my doctor told me the same thing. From everything I've read our best bet is to follow a diabetic type diet. I personally am making choices based on the low glycemic index, trying to keep my caloric intake around 1300 per day and exercising. It's working (slow but surely). I think for me that's the hardest part, I am NOT a patient person :-)

~ Betty
  • Sirenism
    Sirenism Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well (diagnosed 2008) and yes it does make losing weight difficult, but not impossible. You just have to work a bit harder and alter your diet. The best thing that I've found is to follow a diabetic diet and low GI diet. To lose the weight you really need to get your cardio up and get the blood pumping. By doing this I've lost 50lbs since last year.
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    My bestie has PCOS, she was able to lose 50 lbs and get pregnant, which was something her docs told her would be almost impossibly hard. But she did it, of course she was lax on her healthy habits after / during putting on the baby weight so shes kinda in the same boat again but she was ABLE to do it once and will again and so can you. Some PCOS ladies cut carbs and have great luck with that but for her it was about being active and eating reasonable portions.

Good luck!
  • Sirenism
    Sirenism Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if your on Metformin for your PCOS, but if you are make sure you take it! You can also take 2 capsules of cinnamon pills a day which helps regulate your sugars and glucose in a different way. :)
  • 623Hernandez
    Options
    Metformin is for diabetics but has helped many girls I know with PCOS get pregnant and lose weight fast.
  • laurar1203
    Options
    I have it. I don't if how much you have to lose is a factor, but I've been able to lose about 37 pounds so far by watching calories and cutting back on sugar. I have a long way to go though. I have been on metformin/glucophage before - but I couldn't stay on it - it made me sick to my stomach. Good luck!
  • wendyfaye83
    Options
    I was 15 when I found out I had it. Im 27 now. I tried metformin 1000mg a day didnt work now im tryn more natural things. Anyone , just friend me would be nice to talk to other ladies that have it.
  • adrienne4791
    Options
    I am on metforim and it helps quite a bit. I have been taking it now for 2 years but weight has been the same and my doctor monitors my weight very closely as well. I'm happy to see everyone respond and know I'm not alone in this journey helps quite a bit. Thanks for the advice.

I actually have seen a dietican as well and she has helped by telling to count carbs. Problem is..I love carbs! But I can have a few a day :)
  • northernchic
    Options
    Hi ladies!
    My doctor wouldn't put me on metformin as I do not have plans on getting pregnant and that (in his opinion) is the only reason for a woman with PCOS to be on it...SO I'm doing research on taking cinnamon supplements. I'm not really finding a lot of clinical data supporting its effects...but there are a LOT of women who swear by it. I have to have surgery in February, so I'm going to wait until a few weeks after that as it CAN increase risk for bleeding...but I would be very interested to hear your own experiences with this more natural way to treat this VERY frustrating disorder.
    ~ Betty
  • fancyladymeek
    Options
    I've had PCOS for years. I was on metformin for a couple years but it didn't do a thing for me. My blood sugar and BP has always been good, but my weight ballooned up to 343 after a couple years of emotional eating and self-destructive behaviors.

I know PCOS makes losing weight harder, but that just pushes me even more to exercise 7 days a week and maintain my 1200 cal diet. Sometimes I'll eat up to 1500 cals if I've really worked hard, but mostly I stay around 1200.

Right now I'm losing about 3 lbs a week. I'm going to reduce my carbs...those are hard for me too, but I'm going to do it!
  • MeghanAM
    MeghanAM Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS, diagnosed in 2007. I took Metformin for a while, and it did help me lose weight, but also made me very sick and the doctor decided it was lowering my blood sugar too much.

I did manage to lose substantial weight for a time in college, but that was not healthy or sustainable. I gained it back when I moved out of the dorms, even though I'm pretty careful with my food monitoring. I think I may have messed up my metabolism a bit with the unhealthy dieting.
  • northernchic
    Options
    I've had PCOS for years. I was on metformin for a couple years but it didn't do a thing for me. My blood sugar and BP has always been good, but my weight ballooned up to 343 after a couple years of emotional eating and self-destructive behaviors.

I know PCOS makes losing weight harder, but that just pushes me even more to exercise 7 days a week and maintain my 1200 cal diet. Sometimes I'll eat up to 1500 cals if I've really worked hard, but mostly I stay around 1200.

Right now I'm losing about 3 lbs a week. I'm going to reduce my carbs...those are hard for me too, but I'm going to do it!

Wow That's amazing!! What an inspiration, thanks for sharing :-)
  • skyblue21
    Options
    look at the search engine on http://womensdays.com and see what you can find. Insulin resistance...when you eats carbs-you need to go easy on them. eat them with a protein so they can be metabolized more slowly and won't provoke an insulin response. Insulin is the fat storage hormone. Suzanne Somers has some great books/recipes/methods. http://leanbodies.com Dr. Cliff Sheats; http://bodyforlife.com Bill Phillips. http://walkathome.com Leslie Sansone. http://mercola.com Dr. Mercola.
    All good information
  • skyblue21
    Options
    Walk at home daily -this will put the sugar that is in your blood -into your muscles and give you energy-and will prevent fat storage on your body..and will cause fat loss. Try graphing the miles you walk daily- (try the http://walkathome.com one lady lost 80 lbs while walking at home- and graphing your daily weight..it's really good!
  • fancyladymeek
    Options
    Wow That's amazing!! What an inspiration, thanks for sharing :-)

Thank you!! Your words are so sweet and encouraging!