Low cal simple green lentil recipes please

Options
_runnerbean_
_runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
I have a pack of green lentils which I am soaking in cold water. How long do they have to be soaked for? The pack says 12 hours but can I get away with. 8 hours? Also I would love some quick ideas of how to make a nice side dish or lunch with them. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I didn't think lentils had to be soaked?
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Serves 4| Hands-On Time: 10m| Total Time: 30m
    Ingredients

3 tablespoons canola oil
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    8 scallions, sliced, white and green parts separated
    1 tablespoon curry powder
    4 medium carrots (about 8 ounces), chopped
    1 large russet potato (about 10 ounces), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 cup red lentils
    4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
    kosher salt and black pepper
    naan bread and lime wedges, for serving

Directions

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the ginger, garlic, and scallion whites and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the curry powder. Add the carrots, potato, lentils, broth, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lentils and vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle the curry with the scallion greens and serve with the naan and lime wedges.
  • Padzster
    Padzster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I use green lentils all the time. They don't need soaking. My most simple recipe is to cook them by boiling them. Then once they're cooled add them to a salad. My favourite is chopped cucumbers, chopped onions, chopped tomatoes, green lentils, bit of garlic salt and loads of balsamic vinegar. It's a lovely lunch that will keep you full for longer.
    Quick tip: when measuring and logging make sure you correctly select 'green lentils cooked' or 'green lentils raw/dry' depending on when you're measuring, as the calories differ greatly.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,670 Member
    Options
    No need to soak lentils. My default recipe is this:

Boil lentils with a whole clove of garlic cut in half across the cloves and a few springs of mediterranean herbs such as rosemary and thyme. They take 25-40 minutes depending on how dry they are (how long they've been on the shelf). Taste after 20 minutes so as to be sure not to overcook them. They should still be chewy and al dente, not soft. Drain, discard herbs and garlic, and dress with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,670 Member
    Options
    And google Tarka Dahl.
  • Dofflin
    Dofflin Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    They're "supposed" to be soaked overnight, but you can just boil them for 30ish minutes (until soft).

1) lentil patty on a bun - fry onion, garlic, add mashed potato and something to hold it together (egg, ground flaxseed, etc). If you use a non stick fry pan, you can use water.

2) dahl - add chickpeas, cauliflower, or other veggies like peas, and spices like cumin, cilantro, curry powder and light coconut milk (coconut cream is high calories).

3) anything with "mince meat". Just substitute the "meat" with lentils, and spice it up with your favourite sauces. For example, tacos, burritos, lasagne. Just keep an eye on portions / oil content

Enjoy :)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I've never soaked lentils. Dried beans yes. Tiy just give them a rinse in a seive under the cold tap and cook.
  • donnabullen
    donnabullen Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have mine with Courgettes ( steamed ) and a piece of Cod wrapped in foil and baked in the oven.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    No soaking.

I make them in soup with beans, veggies and broths. Yummy!
  • Jmkmfp
    Jmkmfp Posts: 2
    Options
    There is one in my magazine this month I though I might try (I have omitted the high calorie double cream and streaky bacon)
    lentil and spinach soup
    oil for frying off onions
    2 onions
    2 carrots
    2 celery sticks
    140g green lentils
    1.5litre weak veg stock
    200g spinach

1. soften veg then add lentils and stock boil down for 30 mins then add spinach cook for few mins then whizz down.
    2. add low fat yog / crème fresh when serving as desired.

Let me know if you try it before me.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, that's all really helpful . I'm stuck in a spag Bol cooking rut so am trying to be a little adventurous this week .