Advice please ;)

Options
I'm just wondering what everyone else does as far as weighing in. I'm an obsessive weigher, do it 1+ times/day. I feel like all I think about is weight when I'm working out & how I need too stay under a certain number. Is there any suggestions on how I can avoid this obsessive habit? :ohwell:

Replies

• margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday as well. Just once in the morning. I don't really think about it after that though. I'm too busy thinking about my mileage goals!
    Maybe pick a fitness non-scale goal to obsess over? hahaha
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Hide the scale and only weigh once a week if it's driving you nutso! You can also have someone else hide it for you. I understand how you feel, it's so hard to not be tempted to weigh yourself to see how your doing but if your like me, you could possibly damage your thinking if you didn't lose and become negative. My weigh in day is on Fridays but my monthly friend came and threw it all off. I got on the scale on Friday anyway and didn't lose anything, yes I was upset but I knew why, so I have decided, as hard as it's going to be to not weigh in until next Friday probally my best bet so I don't get discouraged. I know it's hard but if it bothers you and it's constantly on your mind, break the habit and try NOT to be obsessed, you'll feel better in the long run. Hope this helps. Good luck.
    Denise
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Two tips I have seen from other members:

1. Have someone else hide the scale and only take it out for you once a week. (One of the posters above me beat me to this.)

2. If you have a digital scale, take out the batteries. Only put them in once a week.
  • choley222
    Options
    I was the same way every morning weighing myself and it was a crazy obsession of mine. I was really hurting myself in the long run because I would get so upset if I had gained .2 lbs. So I had my husband hide the scale for a month. The first week was really hard but then it got really easy. Plus when at the end of the month he gave it back to me I had lost 5lbs which was exciting to see such a big number. Now I weigh myself once a week on Friday unless my special friend is here then I skip that Friday and wait a week. Mentally it's not good I don't think anyways to constantly stand on the scale. Just make healthy eating choices stay active and don't stress over the number, because it's not the number that matters it's about being healthy.
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I gree w/ the above poster. Hide it. I moved my scale down to the basement after hoppoing on it all the time when it was up in the bathroom. Now my official weigh in day is monday but somethimes I'll check on Thursday or so if I feel a change. As this is still a relatively new attempt at weight loss, it is coming off pretty fast so I like to see my progress. If you feel the urge to weigh try not to cave. THe feeling will pass with time. If it is something you are continuously obsessing over you may wanna touch base with a therapist that speciallizes with food and body image issues. Stay strong.
  • stamy6
    stamy6 Posts: 27
    Options
    Give your scale to a trusted friend today!!!
    You're giving the scale too much power!!
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Self control :) Get your significant other to 'hide' it for you - perhaps do it once a week...Depends what YOU want to do...
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I weigh Monday annd Friday. Monday sets thke up for the week . I weigh Friday to see how my progress is. Then weighing in on Monday I can also see if I did any "damage" over the weekend.

Some people prefer to weigh daily but I think weight fluctuates too much. If you are going to do it, stick to once a day in the morning when you get up, that is the most accurate weight. If you weigh in at any other point iin the day,you will probably always weigh more and those numbers start messing with your head.
  • momsdiet1
    Options
    Put your scale away in a place that is difficult to get to so you will not bring it out every day. Focus more on how you are feeling and weigh only once a week. You will be much happier with the results.
  • Anidorie
    Anidorie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    okay your water level changes, your period, your digestive system it all plays into your weight and it changes from day to day. Weighing one a week will give you a better view on your true weight so you can see the change. Daily weighing will get you upset cause after all it is going up and down. My suggestion. wiegh yourself everyday but only record it once a week. when you weigh yourself keep in mind that it changes often.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself frequently and feel discouraged when there wasn't progress. I actually haven't weighed myself in awhile, and even when filling out my MFP profile, I guessed what my starting weight was based on how my clothes fit. I don't want to get caught up with obsessing over numbers like before. It would make me feel bad, and then I'd feel like I'd need to try extra hard to eat less and exercise more. It can be nice to see the number on the scale go down, but to me, now what's more important is how much energy I have, if I'm eating healthily, developing consistent exercise habits, toning up, or becoming stronger.

A number that goes down does not necessarily mean good health either. If anyone does drastic things to lose weight, you can end up losing muscle too. My personal trainer mentioned one client who had lost 20 pounds of fat, but who had lost 10 pounds of muscle too, because he wasn't going about his diet/exercise in a healthy way. Plus, a number that stays the same or even goes up could mean you've built muscle.

I would suggest making goals that don't focus on the scale. For example, fitting into a pair of jeans you used to be able to wear, getting cholesterol levels down, being able to exercise longer without getting winded, etc. Think of this journey as a lifelong endeavor for health and happiness, and a happiness that's not dependent on what the scale says.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the scale! Don't let a "magic" number rule your life!
  • jenningssarah70
    Options
    Tata, you only have to do it once a week silly. The doctors say it is very unhealthy to do it more then that because then you become obsessed with weighing your self. I do it every Friday.