I can't run.

Options

Replies

• MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Have you tried running outside/on a track as well as on a treadmill? I can run outside but once I try it on a treadmill, I can only make it a minute or two tops before I want to quit.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the tips everyone.

I think I should get fitted for a pair of proper running shoes. My current sneakers are less than a year old, and were about $100, but I've had several injuries to my right ankle as well, so maybe there is something wrong with my gait as well.

I will say, if you've had ankle injuries in the past, make sure they've had appropriate time to heal and monitor your ankle for swelling/warmth post run.

I had a terrible high ankle sprain over a year ago that pretty well took me out of well, life, for four months (off work, on crutches, no exercise etc), and I still have times where I come home post run and have to take an anti-inflammatory and then usually, a few days off running.

Ankle re-injuries really suck and until you have that proper pair of shoes, you're likely at a higher risk of re-injuring. Just listend to your body and be careful!
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    try warming up, not stretching... http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/01/09/warm-up/

^^ this

also as many have said, make sure you have the right shoes.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I am doing the couch to 5k app and I am very determined. I am slow but I am doing it and I am 51. You CAN do it. take your time.
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the tips everyone.

I think I should get fitted for a pair of proper running shoes. My current sneakers are less than a year old, and were about $100, but I've had several injuries to my right ankle as well, so maybe there is something wrong with my gait as well.

Running shoes can get 300-500 miles before they should be replaced depending on how heavy you are, how heavy you land, and your basic mechanics. It isn't a bad idea to pop into a running store every couple of months, try on the same model of shoes as the ones you currently have and feel the difference of new vs broken in until you get a feel for when your shoes need to be replaced. If the new shoe feels a TON better than the current shoe, replace, if it feels just a little bit better, keep the current.

The pain in your side sounds like side stitches. Stretching and warming up don't really do much for them, running slower does. As people have suggested C25K is a fantastic program to get you started with a slow build up which will help. At first your running may be real slow. My running spirit animal is a turtle, but I get it done. I get a lot of it done. I'm debating upgrading him to a turtle on roller skates, but that is off topic.

Injuries to your ankle. If you seriously want to start running you need to address these injuries, preferably with some professional help. See if you can get an evaluation with a physical therapist for guidance, and if need be a couple of visits to learn proper movements to stretch and strengthen the area. Problems with ankles often shoot up into your knee, hip and back because they throw everything out of alignment. Going back to the shoes thing above, you may find that after proper healing of your ankle you require different shoes as you mechanics will have changed.
  • runningforicecream
    Options
    I thought so, too.

I used to not be able to run even 200m and was literally the last in every running event in school. Heck, even just 2-3 months ago I couldn't run a full minute. Now I am running more than 10km every other day.

C25k is a great program to start you off. Also, since you're new to running, run slow. Like really slow. That usually helps.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Couch to 5K? That starts you off very slowly and builds it up to 3.1 miles by the end of it.

This.
    I never thought I would be able to run. I tried and tried and always failed. But C25K made me a runner. It starts you running 1 minute intervals and leads you to running a 30 minute session.

I agree with the poster above who suggested having your feet fit at a running store. Good shoes make all the difference.

Also, the other issue may be speed and/or time interval of running. If you're running too fast, you could be exhausting your body. A good test is to speak a short sentence out loud while running. If you huff, puff and pant your way through the sentence, slow down; you're going too fast.
    You may be increasing your run intervals too quickly and too much as well. The C25K program keeps the increases do-able and maintainable. Have a look at the schedule on-line and see how the run session times compare to what you're doing. Adjust, if necessary.

Keep running. You can do it.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Have you tried running outside/on a track as well as on a treadmill? I can run outside but once I try it on a treadmill, I can only make it a minute or two tops before I want to quit.

^This
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Please join this group:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k-

You'll find a tonne of information as well as a daily check-in thread where people at all stages of the programme are reporting their running experiences.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much all I wanted to say. I exercise 30-45 minutes 3x week. I can do the elliptical or arc trainer at a medium-high intensity for this amount of time no problem, and often will follow up with a short walk (10-15 mins) to loosen up after.

But as soon as I try to run, even jog, I just. Can't. Do it. I will get this terrible pain (usually on my right side) within 1-2 minutes of jogging, even when I stretch beforehand. I don't know why this is so hard, when the other machines are so easy. Even when I "train" to try and build up my endurance, I can do 20 mins switching between walking and jogging, but instead of feeling good and refreshed after, my body really hurts, I have trouble walking, and it doesn't feel like I got a "good" workout.

I want to take up running. It's easy; you can do it anywhere. I'm very frustrated that the one type of exercise I really WANT to do is so hard for me.

Tips?

Sounds like conditioning.

Forget the well meaning but absolutely incorrect suggestions of going to buy some frilled out, stupid shoes from a disaffected clownnose at a running shop.

Make sure your form isn't the dog's breakfast, and work on conditioning. Running is impact, doing it with the wrong form will eff you up.

Step 1: Form.
    Step 2: Form.
    Step 3: Form.

Done.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much all I wanted to say. I exercise 30-45 minutes 3x week. I can do the elliptical or arc trainer at a medium-high intensity for this amount of time no problem, and often will follow up with a short walk (10-15 mins) to loosen up after.

But as soon as I try to run, even jog, I just. Can't. Do it. I will get this terrible pain (usually on my right side) within 1-2 minutes of jogging, even when I stretch beforehand. I don't know why this is so hard, when the other machines are so easy. Even when I "train" to try and build up my endurance, I can do 20 mins switching between walking and jogging, but instead of feeling good and refreshed after, my body really hurts, I have trouble walking, and it doesn't feel like I got a "good" workout.

I want to take up running. It's easy; you can do it anywhere. I'm very frustrated that the one type of exercise I really WANT to do is so hard for me.

Tips?

Don't run. It is not the be-all and end-all of exercise. Many people have lost a lot of weight and gotten fit by walking, biking, swimming, etc. If running isn't your thing, just find something that is.
  • Squirrel698
    Squirrel698 Posts: 127 Member
    Options

Sounds like conditioning.

Forget the well meaning but absolutely incorrect suggestions of going to buy some frilled out, stupid shoes from a disaffected clownnose at a running shop.

Make sure your form isn't the dog's breakfast, and work on conditioning. Running is impact, doing it with the wrong form will eff you up.

Haha, what? Good shoes are essential but they don't need to be top of the line. They need to be shoes for runners with good arch support. Sports insoles even ones from Dr Scholl's can make a big difference. I have weak arches so they are priceless to me.

I run over 30 miles a week, outside, with a lot of going up and down hills. It's a challenge everyday and when I started out I was lucky if I could run 5 minutes without wheezing. That was then, now I can go over an hour with not much trouble.

I promise, if you can walk at a reasonable gait for a set amount of time, you have it in you to run. Just don't think out the door you are going to be able to take those hills on. You need to build up and be patient with yourself. If you are trying at all, you are doing a lot more then most people. Always give yourself lots of credit for even trying.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Forgot to post this link:
    http://www.goodformrunning.com

Do watch the Grant Robinson video also.
  • BabyWeight710
    Options
    Starting a running program hurts, I won't lie. I went from 270 pounds to 190 because of running, but my body was torn up at the beginning. I kept going though, slow as molasses and literally starting with intervals of 1 minute of jogging with a few minutes of walking. Then, a year ago I was jogging six miles at a time, and my body got used to it. I was stonger, in better shape and my body literally craved a good run. Now, a year later and I just had a baby. I haven't run in almost 8 months and I let myself eat way too much. I am back up to 230 pounds and starting a running program again. I literally feel like I am starting over. The aches and pains are even worse than I remember, but remembering how good it felt to wake up and go for a long run keeps me going. I actually enjoy the time to myself, and I can't wait to get back to it. It will take months, but I will get there.

Oh...advil and ice are your best friends lol.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Oh...advil and ice are your best friends lol.
    I haven't taken pain killers nor used ice once due to running. Just wanted to offer a second opinion.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Haha, what? Good shoes are essential but they don't need to be top of the line.
    Excepting of course people who run barefoot, right? ;)

Shoes are nice, and protective, but not a priority when form is most probably an issue.

If you're neglecting unshod form training, I'd suggest you look into it, it's been excellent for my own running.
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    I used to get side stitches ALL THE TIME when I first started running. When I get them, instead of stopping I try to run through them. If you can, kind of hold your hand on the area where it's hurting and breathe through it as you run. Also, do you try running pretty closely after you finish eating? That's another factor for me in it. I have to wait about an hour after I eat to run, otherwise I'm miserable.

Are you properly hydrated? Replenish those electrolytes!

Try C25K (free app) it starts out easy and you're able to slowly add some mileage onto your runs. Start slow and try to enjoy it :smile:
  • Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Adapting your body to running to takes time. I went from running for no more than 18 seconds to doing sprints of 3 minutes or longer depending on the speed I choose to use but it didn't happen overnight. I love the effects of running but my body doesn't handle it too well and because of tendon issues in one of my feet, I restrict my running to treadmills and only do intervals. I can only suggest that you ensure you don't have pre-existing issues with joints etc that could hamper your efforts over time.
  • SusannaBanana5293
    SusannaBanana5293 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I can do almost anything, but run. I did the couch to 5k a few years ago AND worked with a trainer to do a 5K. I completed the 5K, but I am a very slow runner even with training for it hard for at least three months. I think some bodies just weren't meant to run and mine is one of them. Good luck!
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    do some sit ups and or crunches and or bicycles, and or anything to tighten up the core... secondly if you've been a desk jockey for a while... chances are you hips,, back, hams ankles, feet.. etc lack a certain amount of flexibility... Jogging.. Running... is a fantastic exercise ONCE you are in shape to do it... SO... don't give up... just tighten the core and work on lower body flexibility... and before you know it... you'll be spending all your money entering runs of all sorts... JUST bear in mind... NOT everyone has the same physicality... some people just shouldNOT run... even people that are already running mega distances... eventually an injury will catch up to them.