Not losing any weight with jogging and 1400 calorie intake

Options
Hi! I have been walking/jogging for a few weeks now ( 2-3 miles 5-6 times a week). I also do 100 kettle bell swings a day. My calorie intake is around 1400 a day. I initially lost 7 lbs but have since GAINED 6 of the lbs back! What gives? I eat fairly healthy and have cut out alcohol for the most part. Other than shaping up my diet to include more salads or something, I'm at a loss for what to do. Cut calories to 1200? Double my cardio? I have a goal to lose 50 lbs. I am 5'4" and weigh 180lbs. At this rate I'm afraid I'll never meet my goal. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• Buu_kz
    Buu_kz Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Your body works on a monthly cycle so do not let it discourage you if you havnt lost anything in a couple of weeks. i would make sure you keep your routine fresh by doing different things your body gets used of things and it becomes less effective. Also being too strict on your diet sometimes interferes I have a cheat meal once every other week and i limit it to just ONE meal but that helps me almost reset my metabolism and i usually end up losing more that week than I normally do. You just have to figure out what works best for you, for me I had to limit my carbs and that was the only way to get my weight loss jump started. For you it may be something different play around with your diet and keep things fresh with your workout routine.
  • Realtree2429
    Realtree2429 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If anything, I wouldn't cut your calories anymore. At the very least, up your calories. Look up BMR and TDEE using a calculator like scoobys fitness or iifym.com
  • cecesquats
    cecesquats Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    are you estimating your food when you count your calories, or weighing it?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Too many unknowns here...

Are you weighing/logging food?
    If so, are you measuring liquids/weighing solids?
    How are you estimating calorie burns?
    What are you doing with exercise calories?

And to the "reset metabolism" advice - that's junk and mom-science. Calories in, calories out.

Without knowing anything else, I'm assuming you're eyeballing things and/or assuming that "eating healthy" (without logging/measuring) and running are a silver bullet for weight loss. You don't need to run 1 yard to lose weight - CICO.
  • KayBallin
    KayBallin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Are you netting 1400 or are you using the TDEE method? Looks like you're working out a lot. You may not be eating enough. Try upping your calories and see what happens.

Also, make sure you are weighing your food.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    So you're jogging and swinging a kettle bell? Maybe you should try other forms of exercise. I don't know, everyone is different, but when I STOPPED running, I lost more weight. I decided to cardio for shorter lengths of time, while exerting more effort. Also, weight training? Also, I don't know about your calories because I'm right about there and a little stuck myself. I calculated TDEE yesterday and seems I should be eating a lot more.
  • loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Please don't drop the calories any lower. You may in fact need more. Figure out what you really need based on your new activity level using scoobys calculator as suggested already. If you have just started to track your calories be sure you are being honest and accurate. Can't see your diary so we have no idea what 'fairly healthy' means.
    It's great that you have decided to get healthy. And you will!! It just takes a bit of time for your mind and body to adjust to this new way of life. Be patient. And keep a positive outlook.
    (Walking/jogging intervals are great, be sure to keep the intervals evenly spaced and a good steady pace going, a leisurely stroll is for your rest day :). Personally I find 20 mins of cardio 3x week to be plenty of that, resistance training goes a long way in reaching your goals

Good luck
  • biancad_1992
    biancad_1992 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Last summer I hit a plateau eating 1500 and burning at least 800 at the gym. I went to a nutritionist and she said that even though I was eating really healthy (lots of fruit and no fast food) my carb to protein ratio was way off! Try adding more protein to your diet and cutting out some carbs if you can. I started losing weight again almost immediately.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    calorie intake is likely too low.
  • rh091
    rh091 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I agree and support most of the advice in this thread. Also to take into consideration in regards to the weight gain, keep in mind that muscle weights more than fat and it's possible you have been building muscle which would be misleading on the scale. Dont go any lower than 1400 calories.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    it has to be an overestimation of intake and an underestimation of calories burned.

weigh your food, wear a hrm.
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is that if you're not weighing and measuring your food, you should get a scale. I did about a month or so ago, and I have noticed a HUGE difference. You may think that you're only eating 1/2 cup or a cup of something, but when you actually see it on the scale, it's an eye opening experience!
  • bidimus
    bidimus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I typically find that when I start any form of regular exercise it takes a few weeks before I start to see effects from it. If' you've only been running a few weeks, it may be another week or two before that extra activity reflects on the scale.
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    My story is very similar. I started running in April, 3 times a week. I gained 3 lbs!! Then someone suggested that I switch my macro from the default settings of MFP to 50% protein 30% carbs and 20% fat. I've been doing that (or trying because I haven't managed it yet) for 4 days and I lost 2 lbs!!

I used to focus on the calories, but I think lowering the carbs and upping the protein is way more effective.

This article was helpfull : http://teamdetermination.com/nutrition-101/

Good luck!
  • Michifan
    Michifan Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'd check your calorie composition, maybe slow down (same time, fewer miles) your workouts (to slow muscle growth but burn more fat) and maybe cut back on the calories to give your body a rest. Eliminate the inefficient foods (non nutrient dense) increase your water intake and see what that does for you.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I agree and support most of the advice in this thread. Also to take into consideration in regards to the weight gain, keep in mind that muscle weights more than fat and it's possible you have been building muscle which would be misleading on the scale. Dont go any lower than 1400 calories.

No, no, and more no.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options

No, no, and more no.

and one more no
  • heatherwilk
    heatherwilk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    well, I don't know what you think about everyone else's advise, but I will tell you what I do. I am 5'4" and have lost over 10lbs in the past few months - I still want to lose a little more, but have not been doing as well on the calorie side. I have lost over 30 lbs in the past doing this, but I am much closer to my goal weight now. I set my goal at "lose 1/2 lbs a week" because the calorie count for more than that is just too hard for me. It gave me a calorie count of 1330. this is a very accurate count. I have a scale that will tell you your estimated BMR (it tells me around 1240 -1260 varying slightly with other factors). I have played this game many ways, but what I have done this last time is not count the exercise part on MFP - I am just doing calories in and trying to maintain a constant intake. I am also running now 4 days/week. 30 min is good but you will really notice a big improvement if you can increase to 45.
    I think the key here is to measure and count your food accurately. If you do not have a food scale, buy one. they are not that expensive. then weigh everything! don' assume you know how much you are eating. if you eat nuts and the package says serving size approx 16 nuts, don't trust it - put it on the scale and weigh in and enter exactly how much you are eating. there are lots of tips on dieting and I am sure you have heard them all - eat protein with every meal, don't eat this, do eat that, etc. the truth is you need to find a balance that works for you. real food is always better than packaged food and don't drink your calories. but really it is simple math - calories in/calories out. don't go too low or your body will go into starvation mode - this is true. but if you keep your calories in at or above 1200 you will be fine. I will add one last comment on this - don't go crazy - this is an over the week or whatever thing. if you eat 1500 on Monday and 1150 on Tuesday you are still doing ok. it is better to try and get yourself consistent but don't panic if you compensate a little here and there for your overages. also, if you burn a bunch of calories and you need more fuel - take it. just watch your numbers and the weight will come off. however, you should be able to be doing at least an hour of exercise a day easily without needing extra calories. if you are doing more you might need an extra 100 or so, but don't over do it - the diet is the key, the exercise builds the muscle to increase your metabolism. that is important so you need to keep doing it. sounds like you are doing fine on the exercise area. it is a slow process. don't panic if you hold for a week or 2 - drink your water and try and stay away from the salty stuff and it will help you in not holding extra water weigh which can be depressing.overall the key is weigh that food - measure everything! every single bite! it actually helps - if you can't weigh it, don't put it in your mouth.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options

No, no, and more no.

and one more no

Can I get another NO