pain when walking. ..

Options
I walked 2 hilly miles this morning...boy am I outta shape!! My right calf on the outside really hurt..more like muscle than a schin splint..will compression socks help this?

Replies

• melindabrock
    melindabrock Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Im not sure about compression socks but I had the same thing when I first started walking. I think its bc my muscles weren't used to that kind of work. I just stretched good after wards and sometimes used a muscle rub and it went away after about a week of walking :)
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    amelialoveshersnacks Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    When I started going walking, I use to get shin splints and after a few weeks I decided to get full length tights and they are money well spent. I'm not as sore and I am able to walk further, also I don't seize if I don't warm down so yes, try some socks.
  • mirki002
    mirki002 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    When I first started running (I was doing a combination of walking and running at that point), my muscles would be extremely sore after a workout. There were many times that I thought I had injured myself, but I would take a day or two off and swim/do the elliptical instead, and the pain would subside. One thing that I found really helped me get over this hump (and it does get better) was soaking in a warm tub with Epsom salt after a run/walk. The Epsom salt is super cheap and can be used to soothe sore muscles. Hope that helps!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I walked 2 hilly miles this morning...boy am I outta shape!! My right calf on the outside really hurt..more like muscle than a shin splint..will compression socks help this?

There's little evidence as to the benefits of wearing compression socks while exercising (nonetheless I do it myself for really long runs) but there is pretty solid evidence in terms of recovery after exercise (faster recovery times, reduced DOMS etc)

My best suggestion is stretching (after), icing any sore areas and adding anti-inflammatory foods such as blueberries to your diet (taking the occasional Tylenol or Advil won't kill you either but I like to reserve those for really bad days) You'll probably find that the soreness lessens fairly quickly if you continue to remain active, it's most likely the result of a sedentary lifestyle.