Runners knee

Options
I just started running in April, completed my first 5k in July. I have another race next weekend.
I think I am experiencing mild runners knee in one leg. I was fit in a running store for the shoes I'm wearing and bought arch supports because the foot on the other leg (the one that is not currently having knee issues) over-pronates. I noticed a difference with the shoes immediately-decreased fatigue, no more foot pain...so why would I start having problems with my knee now?
Is it possible that one foot needs the arch support and the other doesn't?
I have done my research and have started stretching more and focusing twice a week on lower body exercises to strengthen my hamstrings, glutes, and calves. (squats, lunges, deadlifts, bridges, etc).
I only run twice a week, the rest of my workouts are either kettlebells, or some aerobic group class like cycling or kickboxing.
Can you guys think of anything I am missing? I have totally fallen in love with running and dont' want to have to give it up so soon after starting!

Replies

• sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Do you watch your form while running?

I find that things start to ache and pain when I'm not being mindful of how I'm running. Whenever I notice an issue start to come up, I start watching how I'm running- making sure I'm moving symmetrically, back straight, tummy in and extending my legs further back (these are the issues I tend to have)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason for the arch supports, you got upsold and need to return/ditch them.

Strengthen your legs as stated earlier, and be mindful of your form and cadence. I had runner's knee back when I first started running and turns out I was doing more of a "shuffle" rather than a proper stride length/cadence. Doing a proper stride now and haven't felt a thing in my knees.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason for the arch supports, you got upsold and need to return/ditch them.

Strengthen your legs as stated earlier, and be mindful of your form and cadence. I had runner's knee back when I first started running and turns out I was doing more of a "shuffle" rather than a proper stride length/cadence. Doing a proper stride now and haven't felt a thing in my knees.

How does one learn "proper stride and cadence"?

I have been doing brisk walking for quite a while and want to transition into running, but my "running" seems stilted. Any suggestions/recommendations/links for proper running form?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

How does one learn "proper stride and cadence"?

I have been doing brisk walking for quite a while and want to transition into running, but my "running" seems stilted. Any suggestions/recommendations/links for proper running form?

Go to the YouTube and to your local running shop. Both of my shops offer a "running 101" class that answers these questions face to face, and are very useful (even for me). My issues cleared up when I transitioned from the shuffling heel strike to a mid/fore strike. It's less impact, more reflex, and easier on your quads/hamstrings.

Not sure what you mean by "stilted" but what I'd do is start with run/walk intervals and build up in small increments. Find a route you can do daily, like around the block or something, and set a new goal to run a bit more of it each week until you can run the whole thing. Setting your goal on DISTANCE and TIME (pick one!) rather than SPEED is key for new runners.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I tried to shorten my stride so I could aim for a mid-front foot strike. I plan to take a running clinic in October. Maybe I should hold off on more races until then. I'll try running without the arch supports and see how that feels. Thank you!
  • inciteme
    inciteme Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that when I was first starting running, that i would tend to get aches that seemed to move around my legs in various spots. I just attributed it to my legs getting stronger and the aches would move as I favored my legs differently to accommodate. It helped when i ran less if i was achy, and more when i wasn't... sometimes at the cost of missing a race that i was really looking forward too. But as my legs got stronger, the aches became fewer and fewer. One of my biggest problems was increasing pace or distance too fast and getting hurt.
    I think there is a lot of trial and error that goes into running and although form is important, I think that most people have their own form based on the way they are built. I think the most important thing is probably to just be aware of the way you are running and take notes and listen to the way your body is responding to anything you are changing. Sometimes this is more of a long term thing.. just because your knee aches today doesn't necessarily mean that its the way you are running today.. it could be something that changed over the last week.
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a foot doctor tell you that you need support and makes them to fit your foot -- throw them out. Watch your movements and stride. Are you running flat surface? or hills? Both will change your stride. Listen to your body and watch how you run. That will help your knee lots.
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I've battled runners knee for years. I'm finally learning the right answer - strengthen your quads and hip flexors. Good idea for all runners really. Here's a great starting point:

http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/the-body-shop-flex-benefits?cid=socTP_20140823_30298586
  • twoboysnmygirl
    twoboysnmygirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I got runners knee training for my first half marathon last year. I attributed it to going from low-drop shoes to regular drop shoes (I had an achilles injury and couldn't run in the low drop for a while). After my half, which I ran with pretty severe knee pain, I went back to my low drop Brooks (Pureflow line) and my runners knee went away. Taping and using a brace helped a bit, but really lots of rest was necessary eventually.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges.

I got runner's knee from a fall while climbing. So for most of the year I haven't been able to do more than 5km without wanting to die.

Squats, lunges, GHD crunches, box jumps and a proper application of a brace during lifting periods has been helping resolve it. There are also those straps, I just picked one up Saturday, so I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
  • bidimus
    bidimus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I tried to shorten my stride so I could aim for a mid-front foot strike. I plan to take a running clinic in October. Maybe I should hold off on more races until then. I'll try running without the arch supports and see how that feels. Thank you!

No, this is very good. The short stride mid foot strike is the key to reducing injury in my experience. Take a look at Chi Running or Pose Running for some guidance on proper form techniques.

There are a lot of theories on proper form out there. Personally I follow the barefoot running techniques. When I first started I struggled with bad form and running stores trying to "fix" that form with fancy shoes and inserts. Eventually I learned that these were causing me more trouble than help and focused on form and strengthening instead.

For the knee work in some lateral leg lifts, scissors, and other leg strengthening routines daily to help strengthen the muscles around the knee. When I went to the doctor with my first "runner's knee" complaint, he gave me a set of those to do daily and I started seeing results pretty quickly. A resistance band would also be a good tool to add to your kit for this purpose as well.

Running is awesome, don't give up. Take the time to figure out what works for you.