Which gym would you choose???

Options
2»

Replies

• aethre
    aethre Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'd go for gym 1 because 20 minute drive each way is 40 minutes added to every workout.
    If you have 70 minutes you could fit in an hour at the first gym, but only 30 minutes at the second.
    Over time that will add up either to much less time at the gym or much less time at home.

I agree with this, although the more money for less options would grate a little. I'd be far more likely to go if it was just around the corner as well.

I speak as someone who goes to the community gym 10 mins walk away rather than pay for any chain gyms about 25mins drive away.... but I can't afford the subscription anyway. :laugh:
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Gym #2. I wouldn't use the classes but I would use the pool. :)
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    pick number 1... pick number 1.... they need the members.... ^^

If i had the choice I would honestly take the number 1 gym because i'm a meat and potato type of guy... i go to the gym to lift heavy things.... and do a little cardio...

if i'm in there longer then an hour...then i've been talking too much... and need to stop that.....

Oh..plus. my wife wants me home..
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    20 minutes isn't bad for all those benefits. I chose my gym by location, but it had all the classes and stuff in place. Now I'm switching to the Y. A bit farther, but I don't go as often anymore and am hoping to teach there. Also, I got a partial scholarship, so it's cheaper.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Between the two, I would go with #1. Convenience is huge for me, no matter how much I kid myself into thinking I'd go often enough to a nicer place 20 min away.

But at that point I'd have to consider just buying a treadmill or weight machine.
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Whichever one you can feasibly afford and NOT get too bored.. Owning a Gym Membership and USING it are two different things....
    Follow your heart
  • BlueEyedDevil88
    Options
    Thanks...I think I will try gym #2 for a while and see how much I actually go and use the extra stuff...both are no contract so I can always switch back if I decide.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Whichever one you will continue to go to. :)
  • MaddyT122
    MaddyT122 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I belonged to one of those gyms that had the pool and the classes, etc. I loved it. Then I moved and went to the same gym but a different location. Not sure why, but that gym just wasn't the same. I kept paying but never used it. A couple weeks ago, I dropped that gym and joined a new one further from my house. It does not have the pool or the classes but I really like it and look forward to going everyday.

So, as many have already said, pick the one you feel comfortable at and will actually go to.
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Thanks...I think I will try gym #2 for a while and see how much I actually go and use the extra stuff...both are no contract so I can always switch back if I decide.
    It's great that neither tie you into a contract - hope you have a great time at your new gym!
  • carolineat111
    carolineat111 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'd stay close to home. But classes don't matter to me. Hope you like your choice!
  • SeptemberLondon
    SeptemberLondon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My gym is exactly like #2 - and it's very close to where I work (which is 25 min from home). The way I make myself go is by choosing classes that are before or after work. I love it!

But in the DC area a 20 minute drive is nothing! There are people around here who commute an hour+ each way. Do you really think the 20 min drive would dissuade you from going - particularly with all the extra options you'd have?

I don't use the pool or sauna often but it's nice to have the option. The yoga & pilates classes are fantastic! It's also 24 hours, so that's an extra bonus in my mind.