Okay I know you can't spot reduce fat...

Options
Is there any way to encourage fat to come off of a certain area?
Before you jump on me, hear me out.

My stomach is flat, like ribs showing, hip bones showing FLAT. I don't want to lose any more fat from there (I already think the ribs look horrible, don't want to see them more).

My thighs and hips though....NOT tiny lol. There's a huge discrepancy between my waist up and waist down size.

I've been doing weights 6 days a week, cardio (running, biking) 3-4 days a week.

I'm 5'10" 161lbs (goal 145lbs).

Is there ANYTHING I can do to get some fat off my thighs/hips besides continuing building muscle and doing cardio and hoping it comes off the right spot and not more off my stomach/waist?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    you answered your question in the title of your question

all you can do is try to build muscle in the desired area
  • carolineat111
    carolineat111 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Ehh, it was worth a shot right?! I was hoping I was missing something. Thanks. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Yes. Liposuction.

Other than that, like you stated, "you can't spot reduce" any part of the body with exercise.

Genetics dictates how you lose fat. This is one you can totally blame your parents for legitimately.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dcberlin10
    dcberlin10 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

^^^ SQUAT SQUAT SQUAT
  • CaitySins
    CaitySins Posts: 57 Member
    Options

^^^ SQUAT SQUAT SQUAT

Don't forget lunge, lunge, lunge
  • tamara3226
    Options
    I'll trade ya!

I'm an apple... I lose weight and my butt goes flat (seriously not perky just flat) and my legs look great. Then my chest gets smaller but I'm genetically well endowed so I'm ok with that.... but the spare tire.... sigh.... at my skinniest I still had a little bit of a spare.... right now.... looks like extra set of boobs when I sit down...... ugggg

Seriously... sounds like you are doing all the right things. Do the best with what you got.

A friend of mine is an extreme pear shape... she started dieting.... lost about 60-70 pounds... clothing was extra small on top and large on bottom. Stupid weight loss place convinced her she could diet her hips and thighs away... she ended up on a crazy extreme diet and didn't lose anything but what muscle mass she did have.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Neither squat squat squatting, or lunge lunge lunging will encourage fat to come off her thighs or hips before other parts of her body (which was her question). Those are both great exercises to build muscle in the lower body but won't help with spot reduction.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    We are in the same boat, I am working on my thunder thighs . . . I have the same issue as you - I really don't want to lose any more on the top, ribcage and hip bones are not sexy IMO!

I work hard on my legs, way back in the day, I had nice firm thighs (though they were still thunder thighs) with minimal fat! I am not realistically trying to get there but at least to a place I am comfortable with.
  • dcberlin10
    Options
    Neither squat squat squatting, or lunge lunge lunging will encourage fat to come off her thighs or hips before other parts of her body (which was her question). Those are both great exercises to build muscle in the lower body but won't help with spot reduction.

Which is why I quoted the title of the post "I know you can't spot reduce..."

Squat squat squatting though will build muscle to give a more desirable and toned look once overall body fat is lowered.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mcy7ok9A701rzzund.jpg

(Kidding, kidding)

No, you can't spot reduce but you can tone problem areas and while they may still be larger than other areas, they can still be nice and strong and as body fat percentage lowers, the Shape will be nicer.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Squat squat squatting though will build muscle to give a more desirable and toned look once overall body fat is lowered.

If OP is at a deficit because they are trying to lower their BF%, it would be more like this.

"Squat squat squatting though will maintain muscle to give a more desirable and toned look once overall body fat is lowered."
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options

If OP is at a deficit because they are trying to lower their BF%, it would be more like this.

"Squat squat squatting though will maintain muscle to give a more desirable and toned look once overall body fat is lowered."
    Was going to say this exact thing
  • dcberlin10
    Options

There we go, thanks for correction!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Chances are that if you remain in a deficit, the remaining excess fat on your body will be lost from.... well.. from where it remains. If there's very little in your torso, then obviously you'd likely start losing more from your thighs. I think a lot of people both gain and lose fat from specific places first before the body moves on to other areas. So for me, I don't lose a lot of fat from my boobs probably because they are already small (I'll go down maybe a cup size or something max, but can still wear the bigger bras anyways). When I first started, my ribs had a lot of fat over them but I lost that pretty quickly, and that area has been pretty stable fat-wise ever since, while I've been losing in other parts of my body.

Also, your 6x a week strength training.. I assume it's a muscle/body part split yes? Otherwise you are over-training. If you are doing upper/lower body split or full-body, then scale it back to 3-4x a week (3 for full body, 4 for the upper/lower split since you'll oly work each area 2x a week).
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Oh you mean spot reduce fat?

Someone once told me they know you can't spot reduce fat.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Wait, you say you know you can't spot reduce, then in the same breath turn around and ask how to spot reduce?

Are you...even hearing yourself?

You can't spot reduce. From anywhere. Ever.
  • Jetta_C
    Jetta_C Posts: 58
    Options
    Working one area of the body to the extreme can make the other parts reduce. For example, female competitive marathon runners get quite emaciated in their upper bodies. So, following that, I would only do light toning for your lower body and focus on building your upper body, especially back and the caps of the shoulders.

That will do two things. First, you create an optical illusion. Making the upper body bigger makes the lower look smaller. Secondly, your muscle growth stays focused in the upper body and the lower will tend to shrink. It is not true spot-reducing, more "area" reducing". What I would NOT do is a bunch of squats, which will give you lovely strong legs...that are even bigger than what you have not. You will look even more imbalanced.
  • cyl544
    cyl544 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Oh you mean spot reduce fat?

Someone once told me they know you can't spot reduce fat.

Ha. She thought maybe if it was worded differently it would be possible!
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Before you jump on me, hear me out.

My stomach is flat, like ribs showing, hip bones showing FLAT. I don't want to lose any more fat from there (I already think the ribs look horrible, don't want to see them more).

My thighs and hips though....NOT tiny lol. There's a huge discrepancy between my waist up and waist down size.

I've been doing weights 6 days a week, cardio (running, biking) 3-4 days a week.

I'm 5'10" 161lbs (goal 145lbs).

Is there ANYTHING I can do to get some fat off my thighs/hips besides continuing building muscle and doing cardio and hoping it comes off the right spot and not more off my stomach/waist?

Congratulations, like many women, it sounds like you're pear shaped. Join the club, we look fabulous from behind ;)

What is your body fat percentage like? Without actually seeing a picture of you, it's hard to say whether you're carrying fat or muscle. Depending on your frame, 161 is a pretty healthy weight for 5'10. I'm not saying you can't lose more, but losing weight won't change your body shape.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Nope.