D-Bags at the gym

Options

Replies

• jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    the only people I have an issue with at the gym are the ones who stand around in a group and keep walking back and forth less than a foot from my barbell when I'm trying to do rows or dead lifts. I will be dropping the weight on their feet one of these days and laughing.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I'm on my phone between every set because I use the Stronglifts 5x5 app and it's counting the time in between sets for me. Am I a D-Bag? Also, I totally hog the squat rack, but to be fair I'm usually there late at night and no own else is.

Any, there are D-bags everywhere, have fun watching and mentally making fun of them. I mean....mind your own business? I'm pretty sure that's the socially acceptable thing to do....

Unless they are actively obstructing your workout, in which case I'm pretty sure it's socially acceptable to throatpunch them.
  • matthawthorneisamyth
    matthawthorneisamyth Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    In the middle of the summer I rock a tank top and short shorts. Come at me, bro.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    the only people I have an issue with at the gym are the ones who stand around in a group and keep walking back and forth less than a foot from my barbell when I'm trying to do rows or dead lifts. I will be dropping the weight on their feet one of these days and laughing.

Do it on "accident"
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing your hat backwards? Indoors?

mostly forwards- can't squat or bench with it backwards- and plus it helps keep me focused like horse blinders....

it only SORT of works- but it's an effort. lol
  • JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I keep track of my sets and reps on my phone. Being on my phone while I rest between sets doesn't matter. I'd just be sitting there anyway.

I wear tank tops. Sometimes cut off tees.

I wear beanies.

No beard.

Am I a douche?

I guess because I know one when I see one, and because I don't relate to them, I guess I'm not.

In my gym, the douches are the guys that wear full sweats with their hoodies on their head through their whole workout so you can't see their face. They throw plates, Not set, not drop, Throw plates on the floor because they are so badass, they can do that, I guess. They are the douche bags that DL 5 plates on each side of the bar, and then walk away without re-racking.

I don't know. Most of the guys in my gym are nice, and there are only a few douches. Even the big guys, with beanies and tanks are awesome dudes. the douches are more in their behavior rather than how they dress.

Have you started seeing the guys with the exercise gas masks on? That is the douchiest thing I have ever seen!
  • LadyBos
    LadyBos Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I could care less about what they look like as long as:

1. I can't hear their music over the sound of my own. :mad:
    2. They stink so bad, you have to leave the room. :grumble:
    3. They don't clean their equipment, leaving it for someone else to do. :explode:

Other than that, I'm good! :smile:
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Meh.....Rude people with questionable fashion sense are everywhere. I just ignore them and move along. If they are blocking what I need I will just use something else until they move.

The ones that I hate are the ones that freaking marinate in Axe body spray.

Dear-axe-body-spray.jpg
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I keep track of my sets and reps on my phone. Being on my phone while I rest between sets doesn't matter. I'd just be sitting there anyway.

I wear beanies.

No beard.

Am I a douche?

I guess because I know one when I see one, and because I don't relate to them, I guess I'm not.

In my gym, the douches are the guys that wear full sweats with their hoodies on their head through their whole workout so you can't see their face. They throw plates, Not set, not drop, Throw plates on the floor because they are so badass, they can do that, I guess. They are the douche bags that DL 5 plates on each side of the bar, and then walk away without re-racking.

I don't know. Most of the guys in my gym are nice, and there are only a few douches. Even the big guys, with beanies and tanks are awesome dudes. the douches are more in their behavior rather than how they dress.

Have you started seeing the guys with the exercise gas masks on? That is the douchiest thing I have ever seen!

I saw that once and just laugh.

run01.jpg
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

2 or 3 at my old gym.

just. I. can't.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options

I wear beanies.

No beard.

Am I a douche?

I saw that once and just laugh.

run01.jpg
    besides the fact that they look ridiculous, they've been proven to have zero benefit
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Those people get pointed out to the gym staff for breaking the rules & being a lunk,
    then the staff reminds them of the rules & if they keep breaking the rules they'll be thrown out.
    One of the benefits to going to a gym in a nice area, with decent people - very few jerks.

There was one who consistently didn't clean things when he was done using them, was reported to the staff many times by several people, my friend even said something to him, and he copped an attitude.
    One time when my friend happened to use a machine after him, and sprayed it down to clean it off, the lunk took the spray bottle & sprayed chemicals in my friend's face!!
    THAT got reported to the manager AND I called the police, who pointed out to the jerk that he'd committed a crime & could go to jail. Unfortunately, despite seeing the video evidence they decided not to arrest him. :P
    He's toned it down a _little_ bit since then.

And there are people who ignore the "no phone use except in lobby" rule, all over the gym floor as well as in the locker room!
    Saw a gal yesterday holding a very loud conversation on her phone (or maybe with herself) while on the elliptical.
    My phone stays in the locker. No reason for me to need to be attached to it all the time. This is my time to work on my health.
    (I do have a disconnected smart phone I use as a pedometer, so it's in my pocket, and I log onto MFP through wi-fi to record when I'm done with weights or cardio. But that's not interrupting anyone, I'm not hogging or blocking equipment, etc.)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I saw that once and just laughed.
    run01.jpg
    What on Earth...?
    What's the supposed benefit to that?
    I could see possibly regulating reproduction, 'cause they're certainly showing how stupid they are.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    One time when my friend happened to use a machine after him, and sprayed it down to clean it off, the lunk took the spray bottle & sprayed chemicals in my friend's face!!
    THAT got reported to the manager AND I called the police, who pointed out to the jerk that he'd committed a crime & could go to jail. Unfortunately, despite seeing the video evidence they decided not to arrest him. :P

Yeah that would be a fight.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Is it just me or is there a recent immergence of douche bags at the gym? I'm talking about the dudes in tank tops/cut up shirts wearing beanies, covered in tats, long nasty beard, on their phones after every rep and listening to beats headphones. Typically these guys can be found only doing bicep curls or working the heavy ropes like an MMA fighter. I'm all for fitness but it's like they're gremlins and someone poured water on them.

TIL that you are automatically a douche bag based on appearances, clothes/tats you like, and if you like bicep curls or heavy ropes.

I hope people that might be using the phone to update their reps are aware now that they may very well fall into this category. I hope these people don't care what category you've decided to place them in and continue with their workouts.

tumblr_m8w7yjbrvq1qa9jwno1_500.gif
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    The phone I agree with, it has no place unless it is an emergency. Many gyms even have policies against them. Then again if you are not in my way, I really could care less.

Of course the ones that annoy me come in in jeans, construction boots, claim a machine for twenty minutes at a time, do not know the words "work in" and talk on the phone between sets.

Tank tops, hey we are there for a reason. They want to admire their hard work, good for them.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Is it just me or is there a recent immergence of douche bags at the gym? I'm talking about the dudes in tank tops/cut up shirts wearing beanies, covered in tats, long nasty beard, on their phones after every rep and listening to beats headphones. Typically these guys can be found only doing bicep curls or working the heavy ropes like an MMA fighter. I'm all for fitness but it's like they're gremlins and someone poured water on them.

TIL that you are automatically a douche bag based on appearances, clothes/tats you like, and if you like bicep curls or heavy ropes.

I hope people that might be using the phone to update their reps are aware now that they may very well fall into this category. I hope these people don't care what category you've decided to place them in and continue with their workouts.

tumblr_m8w7yjbrvq1qa9jwno1_500.gif

Yea for OP whine session. LOL
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I saw that once and just laughed.
    run01.jpg
    What on Earth...?
    What's the supposed benefit to that?
    I could see possibly regulating reproduction, 'cause they're certainly showing how stupid they are.

Altitude training.

My ex used one. Thought he was a badass
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

Yeah that would be a fight.

I was just thinking that too. A lot of doucheyness can be stopped by a throat punch.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    The only thing that I cannot stand are:

* people that take up multiple stations / equipment at the same time
    * jack offs curling in the squat rack.